• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) All about Ardlings

How animalistic are ardlings?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
For a distinctive look?

Maybe the eyes of an awsimar-ardling glow, maybe a full-on aura with halo around head.

I can see why they didn't use aasimars. It's because no-one has ever cared about aasimars.

I have no idea how they ended up thinking ardlings is a good name... was angemanimals taken?
The only RPG that I know of that really seemed to care about the Aasimar was Pathfinder 1st Edition. Paizo came out with the book Blood of Angels to describe what they were like in their Golarion setting.

glass

(he, him)
Sadly because of Aasimar and aardvarks, I find myself spelling the name Aardlings.
But Aasimar is a different initial vowel sound from Aardvarks and Ardlings, isn't it? Or have I been pronouncing it differently-than-intended for decades? (Not "wrong", because my way is better. Even if they intended to pronounce it "arse-i-mar", they shouldn't have.)

The only RPG that I know of that really seemed to care about the Aasimar was Pathfinder 1st Edition. Paizo came out with the book Blood of Angels to describe what they were like in their Golarion setting.
An excellent book! I keep meaning to rework it (and its tiefling counterpart, Blood of Fiends) for my hombrew setting (which has a different mix of "outsiders" compared with Golarion).

But Aasimar is a different initial vowel sound from Aardvarks and Ardlings, isn't it? Or have I been pronouncing it differently-than-intended for decades? (Not "wrong", because my way is better. Even if they intended to pronounce it "arse-i-mar", they shouldn't have.)

An excellent book! I keep meaning to rework it (and its tiefling counterpart, Blood of Fiends) for my hombrew setting (which has a different mix of "outsiders" compared with Golarion).
Blood of Angels and Blood of Fiends set the bar high for Paizo's racial background books in Pathfinder 1st edition. ;)

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
But Aasimar is a different initial vowel sound from Aardvarks and Ardlings, isn't it? Or have I been pronouncing it differently-than-intended for decades?
True. Heh, but when I write ardling, I think aasimar, and then aardvark happens.

I pronounce the name: "awesome-ar".

I assume the element aas- derives from Norse ás-, as in æsir.

(The "awsimar" are kinda like Marvel Universe "asgardians".)

So if ás-, the double-a, "aa", is a digraph relating to Norwegian å, sounding similar to awe. Hence, "awsimar".

Remove ads