ALL THE BRICKS - OOC

TillForPie

First Post
OK, Rubberneck, I'll handle the results of the call and the first aid attempt tomorrow.

Hmm...did Otter need to Matrix Perception the file? I guess it's not a 'device,' so arguably it isn't subject to the rules about running silent and automatic visibility. Since it hasn't got a 'real world' presence to be close to or not.

Do you always need Perception to locate that sort of icon?
It's going to vary a lot. Information like this is going to be a in a file that only ever receives information without actually doing anything so there's no reason for it to not run silent. Users with owner-level access won't have a problem finding and reading it.

Note that you should have had an additional 2 dice on your Perception roll just from being a Technomancer (see pg 251) - this stacks with the VR bonus. Very little can hide from D0 in the Matrix.

Now, if I log into AR as a simple action, I'm a breath away from getting out. But I'm not quite out. I believe I can still be link locked when I'm in AR, yes? And my Matrix Initiative is hosed as well, virtually guaranteeing that the IC will go before I can pull the ripcord.
You can still be link-locked in AR, yup. And of especial importance is that you can still take damage when you're in AR, unlike normal deckers, because you have no device to take Matrix damage - it's all you.

I think, if my understanding of the situation is correct, that getting dumpshocked is waaaaaaay better than potentially geting nuked by Black IC. It's not ideal...I didn't realize it'd take an extra complex action to locate the file...but you know, it fits Death Otter. Hanging on until the breath is on the hairs of the back of her neck before she cuts loose.
The dumpshock would be far better than the possible worst-case scenario of dealing with the IC. Whether it's better than the most probable outcome of dealing with the IC is for you to judge. The IC will be using the full stats of the host rather than the weaker device ratings you've been dealing with so far - the host rating is only 4, so they're certainly not insurmountable, just be careful. Whether the IC comes for you or your sprites is tough to say - I'm likely to randomize it somewhat. Your sprites are full-fledged personas and the IC is unlikely to be smart enough to tell the difference between you and your sprites. You're all intruders, though of course the host can see that it's you doing all the hacking and not FUTBOL.

Keep in mind that if you leave the host now the car will keep zooming along without stopping. You've never spoofed it to actually stop. If you'd like we can retcon your order to the crack sprite to include instructions to try to stop the car at a certain location (such as at the next station, or a point in the tunnel, or whatever).

Shayuri

First Post
The dumpshock would be far better than the possible worst-case scenario of dealing with the IC. Whether it's better than the most probable outcome of dealing with the IC is for you to judge. The IC will be using the full stats of the host rather than the weaker device ratings you've been dealing with so far - the host rating is only 4, so they're certainly not insurmountable, just be careful. Whether the IC comes for you or your sprites is tough to say - I'm likely to randomize it somewhat. Your sprites are full-fledged personas and the IC is unlikely to be smart enough to tell the difference between you and your sprites. You're all intruders, though of course the host can see that it's you doing all the hacking and not FUTBOL.

Well, the crack sprite is running silently, so it's not in the picture until someone spots it, which takes an action. That means it's at best a 50/50 chance I'd be targeted. And yeah, it might miss...but the consequences of it not missing are pretty dire. Otter's not super great at breaking locks. And she can't hide because she's still got that pesky mark on her.

Keep in mind that if you leave the host now the car will keep zooming along without stopping. You've never spoofed it to actually stop. If you'd like we can retcon your order to the crack sprite to include instructions to try to stop the car at a certain location (such as at the next station, or a point in the tunnel, or whatever).

Given that D0 would have known she needed to spend time looking for the file first, it makes sense to me that her orders to the crack sprite would have included that. In fact, the orders to the sprite would have gone something like, "First start slowing us down, then slow the front cars down, then make sure no one tampers with us." Three services, but she has five left so...

I appreciate you being flexible on that point. This is the first time I've done a lot of Matrix stuff in 5th Edition, so there is a curve I'm on. :)

Worst comes to worst, I'm sure there's a manual emergency brake too.

Okay. I'm gonna evacuate the host. The risks are to my mind, far greater for staying than for dumpshocking.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

TillForPie

First Post
I appreciate you being flexible on that point. This is the first time I've done a lot of Matrix stuff in 5th Edition, so there is a curve I'm on.
Shadowrun is pretty convoluted, so there's also going to be a lot of variance between how different GMs portray it. I'd never try to hammer a player based on OOC discrepancies in how the mechanics are understood. You guys might not live in Shadowrun but your characters do and they'd know how to avoid amateur mistakes.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Any suggestions on how to get a roto-drone with an assault rifle through the crowd and security we'll have to pass through at the subway station? 'Cause I haven't a clue. Brazening it out seems a particularly reckless course of action. I'm not keen on abandoning a choice piece of gear. The only other option I can think of atm is to pry open the doors on the opposite side and disappear into the subway tunnels and surface somewhere else.

TillForPie

First Post
You could order it to idle here or in the tunnel out of sight of the terminal and once you're in the van order it to fly on out. It'll turn heads but you'll be on your way to Queens already and it can just take off into the sky once it's outside and meet you somewhere else. Someone else may have a better idea.

Mosier

First Post
Any suggestions on how to get a roto-drone with an assault rifle through the crowd and security we'll have to pass through at the subway station? 'Cause I haven't a clue. Brazening it out seems a particularly reckless course of action. I'm not keen on abandoning a choice piece of gear. The only other option I can think of atm is to pry open the doors on the opposite side and disappear into the subway tunnels and surface somewhere else.

Could you maybe fly the drone out the back door by itself? No need for you to tag along with it, as far as I can tell. We already know the doors can open, because people moved between the cars.

Edit: Took too long to post and was beaten to the punch!

Mosier

First Post
You know, it occurs to me that we left all the goddamn swag on the train, when we could have just picked it up on the ground after our little murder spree. Oh well, I guess that's Woodley's problem. :)

Remove ads