All the Different Types of Yuan-ti

Shade

Monster Junkie
Official Sources:

• Abomination (Monster Manual v.3.5)
  • Abomination, Psionic (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
  • Anathema (Fiend Folio)
  • Broodguard [Template] (Monsters of Faerûn, Ghostwalk)
  • Halfblood (Monster Manual v.3.5)
  • Halfblood, Psionic (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
  • Histachii (Monstrous Manual, 2ED)
  • Holy Guardian (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Ignan (Monster Manual IV)
  • Mageslayer (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Pureblood (Monster Manual v.3.5)
  • Pureblood, Psionic (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
  • Tainted One [Template] (Monsters of Faerûn, Savage Species, Ghostwalk)
  • Ur-Histachii (Cult of the Dragon, 2ED)

Related Creatures:

• Hannya (Oriental Adventures)
  • Nifern (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Ophidian (Fiend Folio, Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Rokuro-Kubi (Oriental Adventures)
  • Serpentflesh Golem (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Snake-dog (WOTC's website, Dogs in the Forgotten Realms)
  • Ssvaklor (MMIII)
  • Ssvaklor, Greater (MMIII)
  • Ti-Khana (Fiend Folio)
  • Tren (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Yuan-Ti Grafts (Fiend Folio)

Yuan-Ti Prestige Classes:

• Ancient Master (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Coiled Cabalist (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Fang of Sseth (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Master of Vipers (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Serpent Slayer (opposes yuan-ti) (Serpent Kingdoms)
  • Yuan-Ti Cultist (Savage Species)

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
This is all I could find. Are there so few variations of Yuan-ti?

Abomination (Monster Manual v.3.5)
Anathema (Fiend Folio)
Broodguard [Template] (Monsters of Faerûn, Ghostwalk)
Halfblood (Monster Manual v.3.5)
Histachii (Monstrous Manual, 2ED)
Holy Guardian (Serpent Kingdoms)
Mageslayer (Serpent Kingdoms)
Pureblood (Monster Manual v.3.5)
Tainted One [Template] (Monsters of Faerûn, Savage Species, Ghostwalk)
Ur-Histachii (Cult of the Dargon, 2ED)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Thanks, I forgot about this thread.

The MMIV is supposed to have at least one more, but it is expected to simply be a classed yuan-ti. :\

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The 5th Edition list was pretty short, until Volo's Guide to Monsters came along:

Yuan-ti (MM)
Yuan-ti Abomination (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Anathema (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Broodguard (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Malison Jungle Stalker (MME)
Yuan-ti Malison, Type 1 (MM)
Yuan-ti Malison, Type 2 (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Malison, Type 3 (MM)
Yuan-ti Malison, Type 4 (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Malison, Type 5 (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Nightmare Speaker (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Pit Master (VGtM)
Yuan-ti Pureblood (VGtM)

CleverNickName

I'm running a yuan-ti themed adventure for higher-level characters (5 characters of 13th and 14th level). To give them a proper challenge, I'm having to invent new yuan-ti that fit the theme of the adventure...and can still hit hard enough to get their attention. Here's one of my creations, a "Yuan-ti Stonemaker." It was clearly inspired by the D&D medusae.

(Pardon the sloppy image export. This adventure was developed (and will be played) in Roll20 and I can't exactly copy-paste it.)

Yuan-ti Stonemaker.png

Full disclaimer: this monster was developed for my personal use, for my specific gaming group and their characters (a highly-optimized party consisting of Artificer13, Druid13, Warlock14, Rogue14, and Monk13, with multiple top-tier magic items.) If you decide to use my Stonemaker in your home game, it might need a few adjustments.

EDIT: Special thanks to @Stalker0 for double-checking the challenge ratings.

Q: "Why necrotic damage instead of poison?"
A: Short answer: for flavor and variety. Also, I'm a nerd.
A: Long answer: I'm a bit of an armchair herpetologist, and I love snakes. And real-life snakes have different kinds of venom, from hemotoxins that cause blood to coagulate, to fasciculins that cause siezures or paralysis. Well, I've decided that this particular kind of "snake" uses a myotoxin (like a rattlesnake). Myotoxins cause rapid muscle necrosis (death of cell tissues)--and therefore, necrotic damage.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I'm running a yuan-ti themed adventure for higher-level characters (5 characters of 13th and 14th level). To give them a proper challenge, I'm having to invent new yuan-ti that fit the theme of the adventure...and can still hit hard enough to get their attention. Here's one of my creations, a "Yuan-ti Stonemaker." It was clearly inspired by the D&D medusae.

(Pardon the sloppy image export. This adventure was developed (and will be played) in Roll20 and I can't exactly copy-paste it.)

View attachment 371442

Full disclaimer: this monster was developed for my personal use, for my specific gaming group and their characters (a highly-optimized party consisting of Artificer13, Druid13, Warlock14, Rogue14, and Monk13, with multiple top-tier magic items.) If you decide to use my Stonemaker in your home game, it might need a few adjustments.

Q: "Why necrotic damage instead of poison?"
A: Short answer: for flavor and variety. Also, I'm a nerd.
A: Long answer: I'm a bit of an armchair herpetologist, and I love snakes. And real-life snakes have different kinds of venom, from hemotoxins that cause blood to coagulate, to fasciculins that cause siezures or paralysis. Well, I've decided that this particular kind of "snake" uses a myotoxin (like a rattlesnake). Myotoxins cause rapid muscle necrosis (death of cell tissues)--and therefore, necrotic damage.
Cool creature, just a few notes.

CR wise: I am getting a CR15 on this guy. 3x bite attacks (you mentioned you can use any of the attacks in any combination, you might that they still can only do each of them once per round but that's not how it reads), and then I assume that the reaction will kick in a least once a round, so that's 4 bite attacks. Each of them does 29 damage with the poison added in. Or 116 damage per round. Even if I assume one of each attack I'm getting CR13.

And that's not even factoring in the ongoing poison damage and the constant risk of petrification (you could treat this as superior invisibility assuming the party will always look away, in which case that's CR 16).

Now I think high WOTC CRS are bad, and with an optimized party as you mentioned I don't see a problem with your party taking down several of these guys. But if your goal is to show a statblock for use I do think the CR needs to be adjusted.

Weiley31

Legend
Eberron gave us the Shulassakar, off-shoots of yuan-ti with ties to Couatls and the Silver Flame. Yuan-ti with rainbow feathered wings.

I don't know if they've ever been officially statted up though.
In 5E, no not yet. Keith Baker, in on of his blog posts, likenes them as an Aasimar reskin for a PC race option.

CleverNickName

Now I think high WOTC CRS are bad, and with an optimized party as you mentioned I don't see a problem with your party taking down several of these guys. But if your goal is to show a statblock for use I do think the CR needs to be adjusted.
Thanks for doing the math. I hinted earlier that it would need adjustment...I've revised it based on your recommendations (and settled on a CR of 15).

Stalker0

Legend
Thanks for doing the math. I hinted earlier that it would need adjustment...I've revised it based on your recommendations (and settled on a CR of 15).
So why does this creature have a scimitar? The bite is superior in every way (even if you include the envenom bonus action). and again your multi-attack allows for 3 bites. The scimitar seems a waste of space imo.

Remove ads