ALL THINGS BRUCE LEE

Ryujin

Legend
Bruce Lee was the perfect package, not only was he a skilled and determined martial artist, he was also handsome, charismatic, confident, had a great physique and was a showman able to sell the package and thus introduce an entirely ‘new’ genre of movies to Hollywood and the global market.

Even moreso he embraced the whole ‘Artist’ aspect of fighting and honed and developed his philosphy and style into something remarkable. Enter the Dragon and Game of Death are entirely about Bruce showcasing his Art for the world to experience.

Morrus you really need to watch a Bruce Lee movie

personally I prefer Jackie Chan movies but Jackie Chan credits Bruce for his success too (Chan was an extra in both Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon)

It's worth noting that, in interviews, Jackie Chan has stated that he would never make it as another Bruce Lee clone, so he purposely set out to be the anti-Bruce Lee. Where Lee would put his fist through a door without flinching, Chan would punch the door and then start jumping around, nursing his hurt fist.

Watch for it in his movies. It becomes obvious, quick ;)

Mercurius

Legend

Zardnaar

Legend
Never got into them thought they were lolbad even in the 80s as a kid.

Apparently Kung Fu is borderline fake. Not very good in MMA.

One of the big things that set Bruce Lee apart from other martial artists at the time was his philosophy eventually became about taking what works, and not focusing so much on styles. A lot of people in MMA, even those who push back against some of the legend that has emerged around Bruce Lee, still usually respect him for this reason.

Also, these are movies. The martial arts you see in a Bruce Lee film, are different from the way he sparred with his students. Obviously he is a martial artist from a much different time, and martial arts have evolved a lot since that period. For his time though he was very forward thinking. But movie martial arts and real martial arts are not the same thing. What is effective in terms of actual combat is a much bigger discussion (and one where I think MMA has shown us a lot, but also one where even many of the harsher critics of TMA are starting to realize there is value in many TMA techniques). That, again, is a big topic. My thinking has evolved a lot on it over the years, and I think at the end of the day, whether a martial art is valuable to you, depends on why you are training in it. I started in TMA, got exposed in a competition in a painful way, to the advantages of fight sport style MA, and switched to Muay Thai, and from there trained in a variety of more MMA oriented styles. But many of the things I learned in TMA I was able to incorporate into MMA. And you see this in actual MMA, where a particular technique is not thought of much until someone figures out how to use it well within the MMA ruleset. If someone were to press me, I would say I do think combat sports are better training for real fights, but for me the point of training in martial arts is not to get into real fights, so it doesn't matter in the end.

Also when you are talking kung fu movies in general, there is a very big difference between the way Bruce Lee was doing it, and the way many of the other kung fu craze films were doing it. Bruce Lee moves much more like a sport fighter on camera (his footwork looks like it is derived from regular sparring for example), whereas a lot of the other kung fu craze movies, even the ones that came after him, are much more stylized or much more traditional. But even those run the gamut in terms of authentic martial arts. Lau Kar Leung Films are known for their fidelity to real styles of Kung Fu, for instance. Ultimately though these are still movies, and the thing that makes them beautiful isn't that the things the actors are doing would work in real life. It is beautiful because of the displays of athleticism, the way the scenes are edited and choreographed. A well done fight scene in one of these movies is stunning to watch (whether it is realistic or not).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Lol

Theres a a long history of debate about whether Bruce Lee would win in a ‘real fight’ and whether Kung Fu is any good vs modern MMA

On the subject of Kung Fu Bruce Lee did say that "80% of what they are teaching in China is nonsense. Here, in America, it is 90%." So generally he agreed traditional kung fu was too flowery.

But judging Bruce Lees technique against modern MMA is a bit pointless, by all accounts he was primarily a street fighter and adapted quickly to new challenges, had he survived into the MMA era Im sure he would have adapted further.

Lol

Theres a a long history of debate about whether Bruce Lee would win in a ‘real fight’ and whether Kung Fu is any good vs modern MMA

On the subject of Kung Fu Bruce Lee did say that "80% of what they are teaching in China is nonsense. Here, in America, it is 90%." So generally he agreed traditional kung fu was too flowery.

But judging Bruce Lees technique against modern MMA is a bit pointless, by all accounts he was primarily a street fighter and adapted quickly to new challenges, had he survived into the MMA era Im sure he would have adapted further.

I do often wonder about this aspect of the topic. It always struck me as a silly discussion because Bruce Lee was 5'7"(I've seen 5'8" listed too) and 140 pounds, and in these conversations it is often a matter of pitting him against a 200 pound opponent (which would not happen in modern MMA), to prove he isn't a bad-ass or something. I was in exactly that weight category when I competed (and the same height). I once competed against a 200 lb opponent and he destroyed me (as you would expect). So imaging scenarios where he is fighting people who outsize him significantly seems unfair. I think had Bruce Lee invested the time and interested in competing in that weight category: he had the talent, the dedication to training, the innovation in training methods, the physicality and the deep martial arts experience, that he could have been a top contender in any number of fight sports. Outside that weight category, you are obviously going to see different results (but that is true of any human being, whether they are Bruce Lee or not). Also who knows what that 140 pounds mean. His weight fluctuated. He always looked bigger to me in his earlier films, so I think it is entirely possible he could have gained muscle weight and gone up several weight categories if he wanted to, and done well in higher weight categories.

On the subject of styles like Kung Fu competing against MMA or Muay Thai, while my gut is usually with the combat sport practitioner, I've seen enough footage of Kung Fu guys holding their own against Muay Thai or MMA guys to know this: it comes down to the fighter and how they train. Plucking people at random from styles and squaring them off, tells you very little. I think it is unwise to underestimate any style of martial arts, as it often comes down to the individual anyways.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases