D&D General All Time Favorite Dragon Magazine or Dungeon Magazine Content

JEB

Legend
"The Sunset World" (Dragon #150), on the supposed homeworld of the mind flayers, is probably the article I remember best.

Also, pretty much any article with new monsters. One on variant undead in Dragon #198 sticks out, as does one on variant gargoyles from Dragon #223.

Last edited:

TheLibrarian

Explorer
Dragon 140 w/ Avelyne the Life Giver on the cover by Elmore.

I think it was the first piece of D&D content I ever bought. My parents bought it for me because the Red Box was out of stock and they wanted to get me into the hobby. It was my introduction into D&D and just a magical piece of art.

I still have the issue in my collection (albeit a bit worse for wear) and a signed print hangs on my office wall. And yes, I typically play the cleric in many games.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Bizaar of the Bizarre featuring the mage Ballant.

Lazvon

Adventurer
Anti-Paladin, think it was Issue #66.

My Paladin at the time had been annoyed by Kender for quite a while. When I read about the AP, talked to the GM and he let me do it… next session, we were in a city and I saw a bunch of Kender “working” the crowd’s pockets.

My Paladin just snapped. Rest of the party sat dumbfounded as began to slaughter Kender everywhere. I was ravenous! A running gag from the GM had been having a Kender pull a Breadbox out of nowhere (assumed bag of holding) anytime the party was looking for something and ask, “how about a breadbox”… well, this time I started collecting Kender finders and shoving them into a breadbox for the rest of the sessions. :)

Fortunately most of the party was neutral of some type and somehow we were able to keep the party functioning with a completely insane, newly minted Anti-Paladin who (whoever the evil god was) himself took on during his turning and granted him everything he had with (whoever the lawful good god(dess) was).

It was a lot of fun… and really after that, and with a different group, and in a different system (Iron Crown’s Rolemaster), it set me on the path to play Lazvon to incredibly high levels, though as a “Neutral Evil” who was actually nice to some folks as long as there was a means to his ends… much easier to play in pretty much any party (and no alignment constraints in that system - all in my back story and evolving story and a highly creative GM who ran one of the two best campaigns I have ever played in, other was GURPS space game with an equally talented GM).

delericho

Legend
The last few years of both magazines were really strong, IMO. In particular, Dragon had series on various demon lords, the core Greyhawk deities, and extended ecology articles on various monsters that were all highlights for me. Dungeon, of course, had the Adventure Paths, but their approach of having a Low, Medium, and High level adventure in every issue was great.

Reynard

Legend
This thread is going to make me dig out my massive box of Dragon Magazines. Days will be wasted. Damn you, @Hexmage-EN

Before I do that, though, the first one that springs to mind is the Voyages of the Princess Ark. I read those religiously -- and don't remember a single detail! Ah, youth.

I don't have any favorite Dungeon issues, adventures or articles -- other than maybe Dungeoncraft from the 3E era. I never used published adventures.

Lazvon

Adventurer
Do you have the CD Archive for 1-250? Loaded that onto our NAS quite a while back… ahh access from any device. :) checking now from phone, lying in bath… issue 66… nope… Google says #39… yep… ooooh, cool add for Iron Crown… ahh there, Page 8. NPC?!? NOT!

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
1) The ads from the early Dragon magazines. They were so evocative and I could read over them for hours.
2) Bazaar of the Bizarre. Weird Wonderful magic items.
3) Wormy, really all the cartoons but especially Wormy (with What's Up with Phil and Dixie a close second).

Ah, good times.

Hussar

Legend
Ok, going from memory: (so certainly no issue numbers)

The iconic Chessboard Covers - I'm not sure if this is the first Dragon I bought or just the first I remember buying but, it was a staple in my collection for a very, very long time.

A Plethora of Paladins - 9 different paladins, one for each alignment. Was such a COOOL concept at the time.

Ecology of the Wyvern - the fact that they made a tar from wyvern feces to keep wyverns away from towns was just a fantastic bit of world building that I incorporated into so many games.

Savage Tide was my last 3e campaign, and it will always be fondly remembered as a really cool campaign.

The Chaos Scar from the 4e run of online Dragon formed an entire introductory campaign for my newest gaming group. Tons of fun.

Great Stoney - the MASSIVE cardboard castle that came in one of the issues. I had that thing for YEARS. SO COOL even if I don't think I ever used it.

Rules for (well, maybe rules is a bit strong - suggestions might be better) making a flying sailing ship. I used that thing for years.

Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut- loved it so much I bought the 2e version. The part where the party gets shrunk to 1/12th size, plunked down in a model city on a bay and then a giant lizard is sent in just makes me giggle to this day.

So many giggles.

Remove ads