• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Allegations of AI Usage Cause unnecessary Controversy

dave2008

Legend
By my eye. But it can be just worse painting(by a World's Greastest TRPG game Artist? Really?).
The Adze of Annam is truely and ABSOLUTELY AI one. Just take a look closely.
I disagree on both accounts. Not sure if your an artist, but I am (amateur) and I don't see anything that suggests this is other than human made. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't done by or with AI. However, having made real art (physical and digital) and messed around with AI art myself, I don't think either of those is AI generated.

Of course these arguments are why I am supposed to be on a self-imposed ban from EnWorld, so I will stop now. I'm confident in my research on this issue.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
By my eye. But it can be just worse painting(by a World's Greastest TRPG game Artist? Really?).
Get out of town, you can tell that's not true just by looking at it. No way ab AI from a year or year and a half ago would be able to so cleanly replicate an Adze. They cannot even do specific tools now, after a couple quantum leaps!

Real Adze

photo_2023-01-24_15-27-29_960x.jpg

Adze of Annam, clearly not an AI generated image:

adze-of-annam.jpg

The thing I am most afraid of is how often this may become the norm for upcoming products and the impact this is going to have on artists moving foward.

If I were an artist, I would be terrified to work for wotc because I wouldnt have gotten into this business to constantly defend my work.

I dunno.
That happened right here just last week on a review of a CoC book that came out in 2021, which was before these AI tools even became available.

All of the AI art was from one artist, Ilya Shkipin. The Adze of Annam is by Isabel Gibney - and I'm looking at it right now, and I don't think it's AI art.

Unfortunately, a lot of accusations of art being AI generated sounds a lot like people talking about Photoshopped pictures back in the 2000's. "I can tell it's Photoshopped AI Art from the pixels and from seeing a lot of Photoshops AI Art in my time."

Spreading rumors of an artist unethically using AI without any evidence is an unkind and irresponsible thing to do.
Yeah, I known that. I'm an artist too. If someone criticized my work is an AI's work(either AI paint or AI enhance), I will angry.
But the things here was It. I just said it on D&D Beyond but seem like no one cares about magic items.
Anyway, I hope that's just a mistake of WOTC that forgot to replace these paint(either 2024's or rest of BP:GoG) by busying on BMT or One D&D.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I known that. I'm an artist too. If someone criticized my work is an AI's work(either AI paint or AI enhance), I will angry.
But the things here was It. I just said it on D&D Beyond but seem like no one cares about magic items.
Anyway, I hope that's just a mistake of WOTC that forgot to replace these paint(either 2024's or rest of BP:GoG) by busying on BMT or One D&D.
No, the pieces you are making allegations about are clearly not AI generated images.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Except those works do not appear to be AI - you are just spreading rumors. You are most likely simply wrong on this

Remove ads