• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Allegations of AI Usage Cause unnecessary Controversy

All of the AI art was from one artist, Ilya Shkipin. The Adze of Annam is by Isabel Gibney - and I'm looking at it right now, and I don't think it's AI art.

Unfortunately, a lot of accusations of art being AI generated sounds a lot like people talking about Photoshopped pictures back in the 2000's. "I can tell it's Photoshopped AI Art from the pixels and from seeing a lot of Photoshops AI Art in my time."
So... But... No, I'm not saying these words. I edited my sentences and added Suspicious parts.
Why I'm thinking it's AI art is by the style and appearance and its handle and blured part.
If it's not... It's also a very worse paint......
Better to paint another one for my players. Personal Opinion.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
By my eye. But it can be just worse painting(by a World's Greastest TRPG game Artist? Really?).
The Adze of Annam is truely and ABSOLUTELY AI one. Just take a look closely.
I don't know is that legal to post their pictures on enworld, but you surely need take a closely look of these items.
The Adze of Annam got twisted handle(heavy twisting) and warped rune(or some symbol of Annam? blured). And the place carry that rune or symbol seems connect into the axe's blade.And the Axe's blade... Idk, i'm an artist too, but I cannot understand that blade. just like, just like.... a shoe?
I hope you understand that using a digital art program to make your art and AI generated art... are two different things.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The thing I am most afraid of is how often this may become the norm for upcoming products and the impact this is going to have on artists moving foward.

If I were an artist, I would be terrified to work for wotc because I wouldnt have gotten into this business to constantly defend my work.

I dunno.
Hopefully we'll get to a place where companies simply don't use AI art, don't contract with "artists" who use AI art, and we won't have to worry about it at all. I'm fully aware that's real pie-in-the-sky thinking. But it would be nice. Until that day, however, we're going to have to deal with people openly wondering about the use of AI art. People should do their due diligence and at the least reach out to the company and/or the artist, etc. That's the flaw with this particular instance. The YouTuber assuming the worst and running with it instead of any due diligence. But that's outrage generation on social media for you.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, guess I need shut up. Sorry for that...
The twisting you are referring to is normal for an Adze, for ergonomic purposes:

10S1030-11-3-8-hand-adze-u-0502.jpg

The runes and knot symbols are also clearly not AI generated, especially not with the primitive tools available when this human made art would have been submitted.

Last edited:

Remove ads