• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Also known as sperm whales..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Magician

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
I suspect that most Americans from the United States are familiar with the sperm whale because of whaling, and Moby Dick oi particular... (and leave out the Able Seaman jokes...)

Yeah, moby dick is probably the main responsible for us (brazilians) knowing the Cachalot whale, although we know it as Cachalote and not as sperm whale.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I agree. I consider myself not well read and I never have heard of Cachalot whales, unless someone said they were going to catch a lot of whales, but that doesn't really count .

Gotta catch 'em all! (Cuz whale oil is where all the big GP's be at!)

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I only knew that sperm whales were called cachelot whales elsewhere from reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I prefer cachelot...

diaglo

Adventurer
The_Magician said:
Yeah, moby dick is probably the main responsible for us (brazilians) knowing the Cachalot whale, although we know it as Cachalote and not as sperm whale.

why do you think Americans love to use slang for naming things?

diaglo " moby dick .. sperm... i'm not touching that with a 10' pole" Ooi

cmanos

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
And it's cheer up me lads, let your hearts never fail,
For that doughty ship the Dolphin goes a fishin' for the whale...

Damn, you now I am going to have that song in my head all day!

vulcan_idic

Explorer
John Q. Mayhem said:
I only knew that sperm whales were called cachelot whales elsewhere from reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I prefer cachelot...

I knew it first from it's reference in the Swiss Family Robinson, then later came across it in Verne. But aside from those two references I'm sure I would be as unfamiliar with that fact as the typical American.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I think everything's been said that could be said in this thread. Eric's grandma would be shocked at the breach of decorum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads