Altaruk, on the Sea of Silt (Dark Sun 4E IC)

hafrogman

Adventurer
As the two women join the group, Kai joins in the cursory introductions until everyone knows everyone's name. He watches the strange reactions Jalim and Marel have to the arrival of the lady, as if tension flowed out of one and into the other. Jalim's comment distracts him for a moment, though. He turns to face Prin.

"Oh, a follower of The Way? I was once told I had much potential along that path, but as of late, my Way has been focused within."

He lapses into silence, seemingly gazing off over Prin's shoulder into nothing. Then he looks back at the group.

"Now we are five, they seem to be reaching the end of the candidates. This may be it."

dave_o

Explorer
House Wavir Palace, Dust Yard

Perhaps touched more deeply in the Way than he had thought, it is as Kai seems to have prophesied -- once each of the groups milling around grows to five or six individuals, heavy mul guards stomp across the yard to begin pushing shut a set of tall wooden gates, struggling in the stinging sand.

Yet, nothing seems to happen yet. The House Wavir representative overseeing the cauldron stands with his hands easily folded, ringed by mul guards as before. Now, however, you can see that he is speaking with the muls, occasionally interspersing a gesture toward one group or another -- did he gesture to yours more than the others? Perhaps, perhaps not, the air makes it difficult to tell.

It would appear that the sorting, at least, has been completed.

[sblock=OOC]Loving the posting style so far! I'm waiting on our sixth player, but no worries, if he keep dragging I will simply NPC him until necessary. Feel free to role-play, investigate the surroundings (as much as you can), or try and start to establish a pecking order for this search party.[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Jalim

"The Way has many forks, Kai. No one travels it the same way and no one can know all the paths. Maybe your chosen path is still linked to it, as my people are linked to the fire within and around us."
Jalim explains, subtly setting the stage for explaining his powers as a psionic anomaly. Better get started early than having to convince them after he uses them.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Kai nods a little bit at Jalim's words, not really following, but accepting enough. The idea that the strange man belongs to a tribe of others like him is strangely encouraging, though. But with the recruiting done, it's time to get down to business before one of these other groups gets the jump on them.

"Well, since this is it . . . perhaps we should discuss how we proceed from here. The caravan seems like it was ambushed at some point along its route, lost this cargo. Do we track the caravan back, or speak to someone to see if they can give us a lead on the bandits?"

Shayuri

First Post
Tracking the wagon seems the best place to start, says Prin's voice in each one's head. Asking people will take a lot of time, with no assurance anyone saw anything, or would risk telling us if they did. Tracking the caravan on the other hand should lead us straight to it. I'm sure you're all excellent trackers.

Jalim gets an addition, good-humored assurance; Do not worry. To read your secret thoughts, I would have to break your will. It would not be by surprise. I will hear nothing of you that you do not send me.

Inspiratorium

First Post
Marel

The half elf has remained silent and withdrawn as usual during the conversation. He didn't have such a good impression of this Jalim character at the moment. Though thoughts can lie, feelings are more difficult to disguise. The flashes that he received didn't paint a whole picture, but they revealed something hidden, at the least.

As Prin again sends a controlled stream of thought into Marel's mind, he suddenly breaks his silence.

"Um, actually, I might be able to offer assistance should we wish to ask around," he offers a weak grin. "People... tend to tell me things." Those more attuned to the psionics around them might sense a flash of chaotic emotion escaping as the empath states this; apprehension is the prevailing tone, but there is hopefulness somewhere amidst the swirl. Realizing what he had just done, Marel quickly withdraws back.

"I could probably also help tracking, if you need me," he offers, before shrinking back into his corner and continuing listening.

drothgery

First Post
Ardie, elf shaman 1 (elemental priest)

"I've some skill in that area." Ardie said. Skilled trackers were hardly unusual, and it was something anyone could learn. If she, perhaps, had something of a gift, only the most challenging trail would reveal it. She certainly had no intention of calling on the spirits unless her life was in danger, not with this many outsiders around.
OOC: Ardie has by far the best perception score in the group

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Kai nods along as the others all discuss their tracking prowess. Once he had thought himself a skilled tracker, but since striking out on his own he had met those who put his own eyes to shame. Still, there was more to hunting than following signs . . . one must also know one's prey. He rubs his hand across his head yet again, somewhat of a nervous habit of his.

"I doubt not that the trail will be easy to pick up. Enough raiders to challenge a House Wavir caravan . . . and then some way to carry away their entire cargo. I suspect the path will be quite clear . . . too clear. I worry not about your capabilities, so much as our competition's."

He gestures to the other groups. Ragtag they may be, they still represent a threat to Kai's income.

"If anyone can follow the tracks, then everyone will. We need an edge if we are to succeed, and faster than our fellows."

Walking Dad

First Post
Jalim

"You are not suggesting that we should sabotage their efforts, right?
If time is of essence, maybe we can borrow some kanks or another riding beasts."

Jalim thinks aloud. He still has some ceramic coins, but he is here to earn money, not to spend it.

Inspiratorium

First Post
Marel

Marel shakes his head, his eyes fixed on his feet, only occasionally glancing upwards and immediately back down. "I don't think sabotage is necessary," he states, his voice very deliberate and controlled, "If they learn something, maybe we can find out what?" He lifts his eyes to look at Prin, "You can read thoughts... can't you? Logic?"

"I,"
he pauses, unsure of whether he should offer his particular manifestation of the Way for frequent use, "...I can read the rest."

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases