Alternate History Campaigns and RPGs?

I ran a campaign sent in an alternative history where the Mexican Revolution kicked off in 1889, with hints of CoC horror mixed in.

I ran Twilight 2000 back in the 80s, with a all-military group of gamers, which was a really interesting undertaking.

The line between "alternate history" and "fantastic adventure set on Earth in the past" is kind of fuzzy. I tend to define AH as "A historical event came out differently, and we follow plausible consequences from there, without fantastic elements." By that standard, I've never played an AH campaign but I've played a lot of games where the departure from history is due to the fantastic elements, and things are still close enough to history to make detailed research useful.

Ulfgeir

Hero
There is also the reboot of Twilight 2000, that may or may not already be out, I lost track. Anyway, instead of being an alternate near future RPG, the way the original version was, the reboot keeps the same time frame, so it becomes an alternate history RPG right away, instead of being so old, the real world moved past it's original time setting.
The one from Free League hasn't been released yet. According to their latest update shipping will be in September.

aramis erak

Legend
The one from Free League hasn't been released yet. According to their latest update shipping will be in September.
KS patrons have had PDF of the set for the last 2 months. My players opted for mouse guard and returning to sentinels, so T2K4 is back burnered. Heck, playable alpha was available in NOVEMBER to KS backers, and hasn't changed much.

PaulBaldowski

Mister Garland's Runner
When Elizabeth Tudor succeeded to the throne in 1558, she found herself under assault from all sides, paying for her father's arrogant machinations, and the weakened barrier between worlds his split with Rome had caused.

As magic and creatures of the supernatural proliferate throughout the land, the Queen passed an Act Against Conjurations, Enchantments and Witchcrafts, making the punishment for acts of magic more severe than others, but in many cases drawing the line before a death sentence. In 1564, John Dee and Francis Walsingham convinced the Queen to pass an amendment to the Act — The Dee Sanction — permitting the practice of magic in defence of the realm.

You are an Agent of Dee; not out of choice, but out of some twisted sense of self-preservation. Somewhere between conscription and penance, you work for Walsingham and Dee to make amends, with a faint hope that you can use your talents to earn your pardon and absolution.

You can see the light at the end of the tunnel. If only you can outrun the shadows of your past and the horrors of the present…

This is The Dee Sanction.

I think alternate history games make for fertile gaming ground because you can access a lot of reading material around the subject (or in the case of Twilight 2000, speculation and adjacent material) without needing to adhere to a canon road map of campaign development. In a historical game, like The Dee Sanction, that might mean that people live or die at odds with the true timeline, while factions, reimagined or completely fabricated, clash and scheme in pursuits of end games that never existed.

You can create whole new campaigns for power, plots to dethrone the Queen, or quests to engage new allies or acquire new weapons; but, when the ideas don't flow, the library has hundreds of "sourcebooks" to check out in pursuits of something new.

MGibster

Legend
If I ever run or play Twilight 2000 I am going to find some excuse to play Nena's "99 Luftballoons" as either the opening theme or perhaps playing from the radio of a broken down T-80 just outside of Krakow. At the time of release it was a near future game but I guess now the latest version is alternative history. (On a personal note, I don't know if I could actually play this game. It brings up a lot of memories about my childhood. Not bad or anything, the setting just hits a little close to home.)

I tend to think of alternative history as being something plausible though that's probably too restrictive. Harry Turtledove wrote a series of books where aliens invade the Earth during WWII and if that's alternative history than why not magic? So the main alternative history game I play is Deadlands. The original setting started in an alternative 1876 where the Confederacy had effectively won the Civil War and continued to have a tense relationship with the United States. In the latest version of Deadlands, the Civil War ended with a Confederate defeat in 1871.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I've run Unhallowed Metropolis, in one shots using the original system, and a campaign using Savage Worlds.

The premise, and point of historical divergence, is a zombie apocalypse takes place in 1905, decimating mankind. There is a related Blight that corrupts about 70% of plant and animal life on the planet as well, so much less arable land and livestock. The setting takes place 200 years later, with a timeline of humanity's struggles through the decades.

Also plan on running the latest version of Savage Worlds Deadlands for a future campaign.

GuyBoy

Hero
Played a short game once as knights in the service of Bohemund of Taranto around the time of the First Crusade, with minor evil doings in Sicily to be dealt with first, then a larger plot to kidnap and sacrifice the princess of Byzantium (Anna Comnena iirc) to demonic forces. It was good fun.

GuyBoy

Hero
I’ve also toyed with the following idea, but never to fruition. Maybe one day:

As the year 1,000 approached in Western Europe, there was considerable fear and foreboding that some form of apocalyptic event would take place. A bit like the millennium bug wobbles of 1999, but with lots more fire, brimstone, war, four horsemen etc.
Obviously nothing happened and we were able to merrily get on with the 11th century and all the joys that came with it.
But what if it did happen?
What form would it take?
What creatures would emerge from dark realms below the earth?

It is December 31st in the 999th year of our Lord, and it about to be Hell on Earth. Literally.......

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I’ve also toyed with the following idea, but never to fruition. Maybe one day:

As the year 1,000 approached in Western Europe, there was considerable fear and foreboding that some form of apocalyptic event would take place. A bit like the millennium bug wobbles of 1999, but with lots more fire, brimstone, war, four horsemen etc.
Obviously nothing happened and we were able to merrily get on with the 11th century and all the joys that came with it.
But what if it did happen?
What form would it take?
What creatures would emerge from dark realms below the earth?

It is December 31st in the 999th year of our Lord, and it about to be Hell on Earth. Literally.......
Just do it!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases