Alternate History

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Looking for any novels based on alternate Roman history, including an existing Roman Empire that lasted in the present day.

Ahem, the Oath of Empire series I mentioned earlier. Eastern *and* Western Empires hanging out right up to the rise of Islam.

Brad

LightPhoenix

First Post
Particle_Man said:
Let me also add praise to the awesomeness of this book. I think it counts as alternate history if you are a buddhist, alternate history + fantasy if you are not. But hey, Turtledove wrote an "alternate history" with a freaking alien invasion, so I think we can ease up on the boundaries and allow Robinson's fine work inside the category.

True.

I guess my thought was that while superficially it is an alternate history, the story isn't really about that, so I don't think of it as one really

qstor

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
I'm a fan! I enjoyed Fatherland,

I like that book a lot too.

I finished Turtledove's Pearl first Pearl Harbor novel a few months ago but it didn't seem "realistic" to me.

Mike

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Turtledove’s series on the Southern Victory timeline has apparently come to a close. How Few Remain was quite good.

I am interested in alt. history stories of Native Americans – there are some, but they are few and far between.

Particle_Man

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
I am interested in alt. history stories of Native Americans – there are some, but they are few and far between.

They get a nice shout out in The Years of Rice and Salt, but it is more about alt-China and alt-Islam.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
There was a book by Brian Stableford, Empire of Fear, that imagined vampirism as rife among the nobility of Europe, such that vampires openly rule, and many of the figures from Europe's history are simultaneously "alive." The book is set during the Enlightenment and follows the adventures of several scientists as they try to track down the causes of vampirism. It's a pretty interesting story.

Daniel

Remove ads