Alternate Magic System

paqman

First Post
Greetings all.

I am looking for an alternate magic system for my Dragonstar campaing and was wondering if any of you found new ones, beside the Sovereign stone system?

Lazarus Long

First Post
Well, there:
1. Psionics (could easily be used as a magic system).
2. Wheel of Time
3. Wheel of Time variants- you can find a bunch of them around (*ahem* I posted a link to my variant, which borrows heavily from psionics).

:)

Voneth

First Post
In Print:
Star Wars d20 (feats and skills)
Deadlands d20 (DND spells with spell points and gadget rules)
The "If Thoughts Could Kill" adventure with optional DND psionic rules (including conversion of most of DND's PH spells)
Wild Magic (new system)
Chaos Magic (new system)

On this website:
Several Alternity conversions (feats and skills, plus mutations and cyberware)

Soon to be in Print:
Series Archer psionics and mystics (feats n skills and ??)
Farscape d20 ((soon being relative) DND like psionics)
Traveller (feats and skills)

Just some personal notes on my own thoughts:
I love the gadget rules for d20 DL. The DL magic system wasn't too bad for giving spell casters some flexiblity and made them much less level depedent.

With "If Thoughts ..." DND Psionics pretty much becomes a spell point magic system and loses what little psionic flavor it had. There is a yahoo mailing for Dragonstar, and occasionaly people talk about Githyanki secret police who use a top secret "psi" stardrive that is undectable by spell casters. The question is have the Gith told the Dragons about the drive?

The Force rules are very good for generic magic/psi, but one may want more powers. Then again maybe not. The Force Adept is pretty much adaptable to any setting, but one needs to decide how to "fuel" the spells if one doesn't use Vitaltiy Points. My suggestion is spell points that equal hit points and are reduced by damage taken (sort of another way to show how body shock reduces a spell caster's effectivness)

I've also been tempted to use some fo the better Alternity coversions out there, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I look foward to see what the "Soon to be in Print" systems will look like. Series Archer intigues me most, but I am afraid that one will have to buy a $20 basic rules book called "Spycraft" first (this book contains a generic esponige game and covers a lot of changes to the d20 rules), to make sense of the Series Archer psionic and mystic classes. These classes come out in a second $20 which details the Series Archer setting (essentialy Series Archer is to Spycraft what Forgotten Realms is to DND)

Last edited:

FullTinCan

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
Asgard (a free download from this site) issue 3 had a nice D20 mana system. It works well.

Thanks man. I have had good feedback on that system. Now back to the original topic:

If you check-out SeanKReynolds.com he has a magic system that with some polishing and GM/Player imagination would prove quite excellent.

paqman

First Post
Thanks for the replies

I appreciate that, I now have lots of stuff to look at to see which one I could take for my DS campaing.

Remove ads