• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Vehicle/Aerial Combat Rules for d20 Modern?

So I just finished reading the d20 Modern book, and I've yet to play a game, but the vehicle combat rules seem a bit...complex...for my group's tastes. So what I'm looking for either (1) proof that the Modern vehicle combat isn't as clunky as it looks or (2) suggestions of other rulesets that I could drop into Modern with little hassle.

So what are my problems with the rules as written? It seems to me that, even with the increased scale, a chase is going to make it across the map in short order (especially my el-cheapo one), which means constant re-drawing of obstacles and road-course. There also don't seem to be enough options for stunts, and there are no concrete rules for aerial combat.

I guess I'm looking for something a little more abstract and cinematic. I've heard from Henry that Spycraft's chase system is more abstract. How does it work, and would it be easy to place it in Modern? How well does it work for dogfighting?

Are there any other systems that I've never even heard of by some spectacular 3rd party publisher? I'm running a hard and fast summer game for an all D&D crowd, so I'm looking for something easy to learn and fun to execute.

Thanks!
NCSUCodeMonkey

I don't have it myself, but I hear the Spycraft chase rules are very good, and are abstract. They're a bit complicated to learn at first, kinda like D&D combat, but they sound good. Check the d20 System forum for threads about it.

There are extrapolated air combat rules in the Blood and Guts from RPG Objects. The same rules also appear in my own Hell on Earth (1939-1945). They work just like the driving rules, but involve more "stunts."

In my experience the chases do run across the map pretty quickly. We usually do away with the actual "map" and use the rules and the game pieces to keep track of the distence between the vehicles in the chase and the position of those vehicles in relation to each other.

Gundark

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I don't have it myself, but I hear the Spycraft chase rules are very good, and are abstract. They're a bit complicated to learn at first, kinda like D&D combat, but they sound good. Check the d20 System forum for threads about it.

I agree here the spycraft chase systen is pretty darn good. There are some cards that have the manuvers on them that you can dowload and use during chase. Try this link http://www.spycraftrpg.com/resources/chase_cards_v2.pdf .I'll be using the chase system in pretty much any d20 game that I run. They apply to foot, air, and sea chases as well.

Bloodstone Press said:
In my experience the chases do run across the map pretty quickly. We usually do away with the actual "map" and use the rules and the game pieces to keep track of the distence between the vehicles in the chase and the position of those vehicles in relation to each other.
I hadn't thought of doing it that way, since the rule-book is so "grid square" focused, but I can see how it might work.

Gundark said:
I'll be using the chase system in pretty much any d20 game that I run. They apply to foot, air, and sea chases as well.
That sounds like the type of flexibility I'm looking for. I'll stop by my FLGS today and decide if I like what I see.

Any other suggestions of systems that have been missed?

NCSUCodeMonkey

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
NCSUCodeMonkey said:
Any other suggestions of systems that have been missed?

Our upcoming product, GRIM TALES, features a Vehicle Combat system that is based on what I consider the best of both Spycraft and d20 Modern.

If you drop me an email, I will be happy to send you a PDF of that section of the book.

Wulf

Breakdaddy

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Our upcoming product, GRIM TALES, features a Vehicle Combat system that is based on what I consider the best of both Spycraft and d20 Modern.

If you drop me an email, I will be happy to send you a PDF of that section of the book.

Wulf

Id like to check those out too if possible. I just tried to email you and the function has been disabled on the boards.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wulf Ratbane said:

Excellent Wulf! Is it going to be grid-oriented like Modern, or Relative-Position Oriented, like Spycraft? I just can't see a properly done grid-oriented system - there's too much disparity between vehicles, and not nearly enough table space, for a grid-oriented system.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Henry said:
Excellent Wulf! Is it going to be grid-oriented like Modern, or Relative-Position Oriented, like Spycraft? I just can't see a properly done grid-oriented system - there's too much disparity between vehicles, and not nearly enough table space, for a grid-oriented system.

Agreed, grid-based is terrible. Grim Tales is very, very relative.

Anyone who wants a peek can email me; my email is readily available at the Bad Axe website.

Wulf

Remove ads