D&D 4E Am I crazy? I've just gotten a hankering to play 4e again...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
It isn't my favorite edition of D&D, but I really enjoyed playing 4e. I ran it a bit too.

I liked the way everything was broken down into powers. I liked the mathy part of acquiring magic items as you leveled. I liked the extra crunch of trying to get the various PC powers to combo. I liked the 4 roles (Controller, Defender, Striker, Leader). I liked the monster roles. I liked the sources of power - Psionic, Martial, Divine, and Primal. I liked the tiers going all the way up to Epic level (although I never got that high up). I liked the cosmology. I liked skill challenges, although I don't think I ran them right. I even liked using miniatures in play - heck 2 of my 4 regular D&D games use minis (one I'm playing, one I'm running).

I can't say I was a lover of the default setting (Nentir Vale); but at least they printed up FR, Eberron, and Dark Sun.

Sadly, the method of releases were much more like 3rd ed; and the game eventually petered out as we all know.

I have all the Scales of War adventures in pdf, and even printed up the first 5 or 6 of them, and even have a bunch of the maps printed up (!).

So that's all to say - I'd love to play me some 4e.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Well, to me 4e will never be D&D.

But that's not to say it's a bad game for what it is.

It's a tragedy that there was never a CRPG made with it's ruleset - I could have imagined something built along the lines of X-Com: Enemy Unknown crossed with Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based, squad-based combat game with all the powers and advancement across different maps... that would have been epic.

(And I still want a 5e Warlord, dammit!)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, to me 4e will never be D&D.

But that's not to say it's a bad game for what it is.

It's a tragedy that there was never a CRPG made with it's ruleset - I could have imagined something built along the lines of X-Com: Enemy Unknown crossed with Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based, squad-based combat game with all the powers and advancement across different maps... that would have been epic.

(And I still want a 5e Warlord, dammit!)

There was the Tomb of Annihilation game that uses the D&D Adventure boardgame rules.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't think you're crazy at all. 4e was a great game. Arguments can be made about what it did well and where it misstepped, but I think even its detractors would agree that fundamentally it was solidly designed, even if they may not think it was the right direction for D&D to move in. If anything, it makes sense that you'd want to revisit 4e as a change of pace from 5e rather than other past editions, because it's more of a horizontal movement from 5e than 3.X, AD&D, BECMI, or OD&D would be.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases