4E Am I crazy? I've just gotten a hankering to play 4e again...

chrisshorb

Everything's Fine
It isn't my favorite edition of D&D, but I really enjoyed playing 4e. I ran it a bit too.

I liked the way everything was broken down into powers. I liked the mathy part of acquiring magic items as you leveled. I liked the extra crunch of trying to get the various PC powers to combo. I liked the 4 roles (Controller, Defender, Striker, Leader). I liked the monster roles. I liked the sources of power - Psionic, Martial, Divine, and Primal. I liked the tiers going all the way up to Epic level (although I never got that high up). I liked the cosmology. I liked skill challenges, although I don't think I ran them right. I even liked using miniatures in play - heck 2 of my 4 regular D&D games use minis (one I'm playing, one I'm running).

I can't say I was a lover of the default setting (Nentir Vale); but at least they printed up FR, Eberron, and Dark Sun.

Sadly, the method of releases were much more like 3rd ed; and the game eventually petered out as we all know.

I have all the Scales of War adventures in pdf, and even printed up the first 5 or 6 of them, and even have a bunch of the maps printed up (!).

So that's all to say - I'd love to play me some 4e.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Well, to me 4e will never be D&D.

But that's not to say it's a bad game for what it is.

It's a tragedy that there was never a CRPG made with it's ruleset - I could have imagined something built along the lines of X-Com: Enemy Unknown crossed with Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based, squad-based combat game with all the powers and advancement across different maps... that would have been epic.

(And I still want a 5e Warlord, dammit!)

Parmandur

Legend
Well, to me 4e will never be D&D.

But that's not to say it's a bad game for what it is.

It's a tragedy that there was never a CRPG made with it's ruleset - I could have imagined something built along the lines of X-Com: Enemy Unknown crossed with Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based, squad-based combat game with all the powers and advancement across different maps... that would have been epic.

(And I still want a 5e Warlord, dammit!)
There was the Tomb of Annihilation game that uses the D&D Adventure boardgame rules.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen
I don't think you're crazy at all. 4e was a great game. Arguments can be made about what it did well and where it misstepped, but I think even its detractors would agree that fundamentally it was solidly designed, even if they may not think it was the right direction for D&D to move in. If anything, it makes sense that you'd want to revisit 4e as a change of pace from 5e rather than other past editions, because it's more of a horizontal movement from 5e than 3.X, AD&D, BECMI, or OD&D would be.

Last edited:

chrisshorb

Everything's Fine
I still have access to the Compendium and online Character Builder. Some day...
Oh yeah, that was another thing I liked about 4e - you could subscribe to the Character Builder and get unlimited access to all the content. Unless D&D Beyond has changed, you have to buy every book individually. I prefer the subscription model.

jayoungr

Adventurer
Why would that be crazy? A system doesn't have to be your favorite to be something you can have fun with, at least once in a while.

Tallifer

Adventurer
Check out discord: there are several busy channels devoted to playing 4E. I also just got the same nostalgic hankering after 5 years and started playing with a great crowd of people there. Living Guild and Pandemonium are sort of Westmarchish 4E, and there are other independent regular campaigns. Most use roll20 or Fantasy Grounds for the visuals.

D&D 4E

Pandemonium

Coroc

Adventurer

It's a tragedy that there was never a CRPG made with it's ruleset
Well there is Neverwinter, it uses the 4e system of powers, it is in no way PnP compatible but basically it is 4e and it is free to play, and many people play it.
It is a bit lame for people wanting riddles and RP in their CRPGs though, but for flashy combat it is fine

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I check it out and you are right. Dang. I need to contact them to see if I'm due a refund. Thanks for the heads up.
My subscription auto-renewed in December. I contacted Digital River, but got no reply so I raised the issue with PayPal and got a full refund.

Advertisement