AMA [June 10] Margaret Weis, Author (TSR, Dragonlance, Margaret Weis Productions, Cortex, Firefly RPG, Star of the Guardians)

Benji

First Post
Hi Margret, thank you for dragonlance. You are basically responsible for me realising I'm not the only weird kid, others exist and it's ok to be me. When I was younger I crashed my bike into a fence and flew a good ten feet into an unforeseen pile of bottles while pretending to be tasslehoff and no one could understand my intense joy despite the stitches, so thanks for giving me a wonderfully suspect role model. After that long introduction my question is sort of connected. What positive or negative effects do you feel that the sort of prototype 'iconic characters' (a model used by both 3rd ed and pathfinder since) had on the setting and peoples engagement? Did you find that was what people wanted to talk about or did they feel trapped by almost having to play them in the adventures?

Also, hypothetically, if wizards offered MWP the chance to write an adventure, would you take it? And would you use dragonlance, sovereign stone, or some other setting?

Zustiur

Explorer
Hi Margaret,

I've sometimes heard the Dragonlance novels derided as being for young readers; what age group did in intend them for?

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Thank-you for all the great reading.

Something always bothered me about The Seventh Gate. I never really went back to read it critically; but, without asking too much, did you do something different while you wrote this book? I'm curious more as a creator as opposed to a critic--I enjoy your work far too much to be critical of you in this format.

margaretweis

First Post
When Dragonlance went from a novel to a gamming supplement did you or the others around you ever foresee a problem with the Kender race? I know from personal experience it appears to be the controversial race in the D&D game, and I personally love the novels, but hate them in play. Is there any insight into the why and how you guys went through with the race that might help people who feel it is an unplayble PC race but also fell in love with Tasslehoff Burrfoot?

It is not that kender are unplayable, it is that role-players don't play them properly. I once played in a Dragonlance charity game. The party consisted of five kender and a gnome. Best RPG experience ever! We had so much fun and actually killed the red dragon, though I admit it was by accident.

If you want a kender in a game, I'd meet with the player first, set some guidelines (don't steal ALL the party's equipment!) to make sure the player makes the experience fun, not annoying.

Thanks! Margaret

margaretweis

First Post
Thank-you for all the great reading.

Something always bothered me about The Seventh Gate. I never really went back to read it critically; but, without asking too much, did you do something different while you wrote this book? I'm curious more as a creator as opposed to a critic--I enjoy your work far too much to be critical of you in this format.

I haven't read that series in many years, so I'm not really sure what you mean. It's entirely possible! I remember being really glad we could finally wrap it all up. Juggling characters and plot lines through seven books was a little wearing.:) Thanks for the kind words! Margaret

margaretweis

First Post
Hi Margaret,

I've sometimes heard the Dragonlance novels derided as being for young readers; what age group did in intend them for?

The DL novels were for adult readers, although I think it's awesome that young people enjoy them! They were the first adult novels published by TSR following the success of the Endless Quest adventure books for young people. Thanks! Margaret

margaretweis

First Post
Hi Margaret,

Has WOTC expressed interest in restarting the Dragonlance novels?

Sigh. No. At least not to us. Tracy and I have given WoTC ideas for new DL novels, including an expanded version of Chronicles, adding in all the material that we were forced to cut. (Management at the time considered the books too long! They had to sell for $2.95.:)) Thanks! Margaret

margaretweis

First Post
Hi Margret, thank you for dragonlance. You are basically responsible for me realising I'm not the only weird kid, others exist and it's ok to be me. When I was younger I crashed my bike into a fence and flew a good ten feet into an unforeseen pile of bottles while pretending to be tasslehoff and no one could understand my intense joy despite the stitches, so thanks for giving me a wonderfully suspect role model. After that long introduction my question is sort of connected. What positive or negative effects do you feel that the sort of prototype 'iconic characters' (a model used by both 3rd ed and pathfinder since) had on the setting and peoples engagement? Did you find that was what people wanted to talk about or did they feel trapped by almost having to play them in the adventures?

Also, hypothetically, if wizards offered MWP the chance to write an adventure, would you take it? And would you use dragonlance, sovereign stone, or some other setting?

Dragonlance novels were the first ever novels written for a game. We made lots of mistakes at the beginning, one being that we thought we had to have a character for every character class. We figured the players would want to play the characters, but as it turned out, players wanted to play their own characters, even though they enjoyed reading about the companions and maybe meeting them or adventuring with them. (Interestingly we've found out the same is true with the Firefly RPG!)

As to DL adventures, it would be fun to do them in the Cortex Plus system. Somehow I don't see that happening.:) Thanks! Margaret

margaretweis

First Post
What about the future of Dragonlance in D&D terms? Any news that You can share?
What do You think about the current absence of official WOTC support for campaign settings?

I have no idea what WoTC plans to do with DL. I know they have referenced the setting and the novels in the 5th Edition product, so maybe someday . . . . Thanks! Margaret

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases