AMA Russ Morrissey (Morrus) (EN World, EN Publishing, ENnies, WOIN)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What part of your news coverage gets the most clicks? D&D-, Pathfinder- ... etc. news or interviews, scoops, art, reviews etc.?

D&D by at least an order of magnitude.

I really would love to see more video interviews with designers from you, I loved the Monte Cook interview. Is there any chance you will make more of those? Perhaps regularly?

Well, there's a slight difficulty in that 3000 miles and an ocean separates me from most designers. And I don't want to do it unless I can do it properly face-to-face. None of this Skype stuff.

What is your favourite part of your job? :)

I enjoy breaking big (for niche RPG values of "big") news scoops. And, right now, I adore designing spaceships and the like for WOIN. Sometimes I think "Wait. I'm trying to design a version of the USS Excelsior from Star Trek... and this is my job!" Basically, your hobby being your living is pretty awesome, though it can be isolating.

What type of characters do you like to play (both fantasy/medieval and sci-fi)?

It's bad of me, but simple one-trick ponies. Honestly, I don't like playing all that much; I prefer to run stuff. But when I do play, I like mny character to be fairly simple.

Could you tell a little bit about the creation of the AP Zeitgeist? (I haven't read it or played, but the free player materials I've found are fascinating).

Holy Open Question, Batman! Without knowing more specifically what you want to know -- we wanted to make a complex AP for experienced GMs. Seriously, first time GMs should steer clear. You need to be on the top of your game; but the rewards are comensurate with that. It's a grown-up, complex plot with shades of grey, where you don't have to just beat an extraplanar threat, which mixes action, politics, mystery, investigation, and intrigue, and represents - in my opinion - our very best ever work.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, this AMA has ended now. Thanks everyone! It was fun! I look forward to asking questions in your AMAs!

Henry

Autoexreginated
All I have to remind me of it are the gloating jeers of the likes of [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION], [MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION], [MENTION=99]Rel[/MENTION], etc. Damn them. But no, I never got to actually game with him.

:)
All I can say is that you were missed!

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
16 years. Wow. I think I have been on here for most of that. Not the most prolific poster, but I am still here ;)

Anyway, I was wondering whether you could elaborate a little on how you came to be in charge here Morrus. Some new visitors may not even know what E-N- World stands for. I may, but still would like to know a few things about the actual evolution of the site, like how did you know Eric Noah? Did you work on the site for him before offering to take over? What is EN up to these days? Does he still remain in contact with you - show any interest in his old site etc? (I really hope I am not asking inappropriate Q's here and EN is okay).

I just wonder if he sometimes wanders back to the garden he created.

You have brought some amazing developments to the site Morrus. Which have been the most supported and what are your personal favorites. Which make you the proudest? You are allowed to gloat a little here :)

Thanks so much for maintaining and expanding this site over the years, and for this segment, another great idea.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Ah dammit! Just realised I missed out. Thanks anyway, I really like reading these :)

And now that I have read the whole thread...I see you covered most of my Q's anyway ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads