AMA (Thurs April 30): Wolfgang Baur (Kobold Press, TSR, DUNGEON Magazine, D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons, Advanced Races Compendium)

Monkey King

Explorer
Any chance of seeing Midgard as a 5th edition setting, or any of your productions at kobold press ? I love the dark fantasy and deep magic feel you managed to pull off with that settings.
I feel the shadow roads were largely inspired by The Wheel of time's Ways in the novels by Robert Jordan, did you read that saga ?

I've never read the Wheel of Time, so I'm not familiar with his take on shadow roads. I know some people love the books, while others complain about the languid pacing.

Regardless, the idea is certain older than Jordan or me: hidden roads, fey travels, movement through the underworld. I had not seen it in a fantasy RPG, and I thought it was a good match for Midgard, since I nixed teleport for the home game a long time ago.

I am working on plans and materials for Midgard 5th Edition, mainly races and Southlands elements so far. I'll be running a 5th Edition module at North Texas RPG Convention in June.

Updating a setting... Well, it's a big commitment from Kobold Press to revisit, update, and revise a hardcover like that, not to mention revised maps, art, rules, etc. One obstacle is that I have no idea whether an open license will become available from Wizards anytime soon, or whether I'd have to use some variant of the OGL instead.

I know there are many people who would like to see it soon (and I've had some volunteers to tackle it!). I'd prefer to do it under a license from Wizards if I can.

Monkey King

Explorer
If you had three tips for unpublished fantasy and/or RPG authors, what would they be? And what do you think are the biggest, starkest differences between publishing now and publishing back then? I'd love to get some perspective from someone who's written, published and edited with some of the best and brightest in the trade.

Three tips for unpublished authors and game designers? Sure, but I'm feeling a bit cyncial about the industry today, so:

1) Write write write (and don't quit your day job too early). Turn out a lot of prose. Speed keeps you fed; quality keeps you respected. Find a balance. Do the work.
2) Marry someone with health insurance. (It sounds like a joke, but I can assure you that many RPG designers suffer terribly from insufficient access to health care, and some go bankrupt.)
3) Read. See what other writers are doing. Emulate their style if it appeals. Dissect their mistakes to figure out where they went wrong. Notice yourself when you are reading: how did that encounter get you excited? Which sections do you skip? Become a sharp critic of other people's prose and mechanics. Then, put one of your own manuscripts aside for a week or two, and read with fresh eyes: turn that critical faculty on your own work.

The biggest differences between then and now in publishing? There's so many! The field has overturned completely.

1) RPG books are now almost always in full color, and still affordable!
2) Everything is available in digital form as well as print. And digital editions are super-cheap.
3) There's 10x as many titles being produced. The proportion of crap is exactly the same (per Sturgeon).
4) The audience is more fragmented than it was then.
5) International awareness and translations are far more common now. French, German, and Swedish games make it into English, not just the other way around.
6) Smaller publishers have a better chance at survival.
7) Bigger publishers are more answerable to their fans than they once were, for good and for ill.
8) Overall, the art's gotten better (I know, some will disagree!)
9) Licensing worlds/books/movies has gone from occasional to the default. The golden age of RPG worldbuilding may be over.
10) TV and movies drive the cultural conversation more now, and books less.

Man, I didn't think I had 10 now-and-thens in me. Thanks for the challenge question!

Monkey King

Explorer
I was wondering if any unusual Planar races might show up in this Kickstarter. When I look at books that "got it right" for me in terms of Races, Pathfinder supplements like Blood of Angels Blood of Fiends, etc really hit the nail on the head. I say this because they gave lots of variations to the Race itself. This way not all Aasimars got +2 Wis and + 2 Cha, Not all Tieflings got +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha.
They included numerous types of bloodlines which had different attributions, which I think helped build parties where the entire group could be Tieflings, but not everyone had to have a bad Charisma.
The other section was the variant cosmetic traits, or the charts for alternate racial features.

Can we expect to see this level of detail in the Advanced Races Compendium?

Yes, we're planning variant versions of many of the races, offering different power levels and alternative racial traits. The goal is exactly that not all tieflings are the same, and not all aasimar are identical. Pathfinder is a game of extreme customization, and the Advanced Races Compendium supports that pretty extensively.

The capstone reward to choose a race and have a full 16 or 20-page chapter devoted to it is priced correctly for design, development, editing, multiple pieces of art, layout, and printing all those pages. But yes, I think a reward for a much smaller race is possible. I'll do some numbers.

Psionics has been heavily expanded by Dreamscarred Press, so it's unlikely that Kobold Press will visit that topic. Occult Adventures.... I'm not sure yet, honestly. I'm curious about it, but I haven't given a lot of thought to what might complement that material.

Thanks for the questions!

Monkey King

Explorer
From your insider dealings and experience with WOTC on 5th edition, can you speak about any status on OGL or GSL? Which in your opinion looks more likely? And what insights or opinions could you offer as to the OGL situation (are you worried, frustrated, hopeful, reserved)
?

Astroicebear, this is a wonderful question! And boy do I wish I had a better answer for you than "I don't have any special knowledge about the terms of a license."

Of course, I'm happy to speculate on it. My mood is cautiously hopeful, though I grow more frustrated every month that goes by.

I expected that if Wizards of the Coast were going to announce such a thing, they would announce it in time for publishers to print a 5th Edition book for a Gen Con release. That window is pretty much closed for hardcovers (remember that Gen Con is earlier this year), and the window is narrowing sharply for smaller things like adventures. So that opportunity to make a splash of licensed 5th Edition support for D&D is fading.

That might make sense if Wizards had announced a splashy D&D release of their own for Gen Con, but they have not (or at least, that's the impression I have gotten recently). They're talking video game stuff, but the tabletop side has a really slow, deliberate cadence to the releases.

That said, I remain hopeful that they'll release a license eventually. But exactly what form that takes, I have no idea.

Monkey King

Explorer
And here's the question: do you think that DM's today need more "hand-holding" than they did twenty years ago? There seems to be a need to have every eventuality mapped out in advance, keeping the players on track, rather than running with it and seeing where everyone ends up. Is that where you see the adventure designer heading, or is there still room for a more "Gygaxian" approach to adventure design?

Meomwt, it's a great question without a single answer, because different players and different gamemasters need different things. I think that a Starter Set or Beginner Box that doesn't do a lot of handholding is failing in its primary goal, which is making it easy to learn the game. I wish that the blue box had done a bit more handholding back when; it took me a while to figure out how basic things were meant to work.

And there's room out there for railroad-like (or adventure path-like) adventures, that are meant to keep players on track. I've played too many aimlessly wandering and incoherent scenarios where the game is "what do we do next?" because there's no clues, track, or goals stated in the early going, the middle, or toward the end. Most players like the occasional sign, and the more convoluted the plot and premise, the more handholding is appropriate.

But in the end, I think a lot of the joy that people take in great sandbox adventures (like, oh, the Lost City by Zeb Cook, or the Kingmaker adventure path) is the joy of making their own way and *uncovering* the goals and being the active, heroic figures who decide what to do about something. Done well, this sort of scenario is less about handholding and more about enabling discovery and presenting wonders at every turn.

And finally, there's the category of adventures that really are about piling up dangers, conflicts, and NPCs with opposite aims, and letting someone light a match. There's just no good way to plan out every element of a rogue's guild gang war with any certainty. There's chaos everywhere. A very fine scenario can be made out of a list of NPCs and their goals and resources; think of LARP play.

So where does that leave adventure design? Yes, I think there's room for scripted, guided play, especially for newer or less confident players, those who want maximum help. And there's room for adventures that provide inspiration, some great NPCs and dramatic scenery, and trust that the players and the DM will run with the parts that entertain them, spinning out their own story.

RPGs have always included an element of performance (watch me play my character as a badass! watch me give a cool villain's monologue!). They have also included elements of improv because they MUST rely on a DM at times (your character does WHAT? Well, ok, here's what happens...)

In other words, there's no one size fits all, and I hope that more experienced players show their skill at play by making adventures their own. A poor player can, of course, complain that any given adventure doesn't answer all questions. But many of the most memorable moments, for me, come from when a player puts a bit of their own magic into the game, because he or she knows what the party likes, what his friends like, and how to make the game awesome. That's always going to be a function of play, and good design leaves room for that. A tightly-scripted or detail-crowded design tries to cover everything, and fails to leave room for what I would consider more interesting and spontaneous play.

That's my take on it: design styles need to serve particular play styles or levels of experience, and no one design style is going to please everyone.

Monkey King

Explorer
I've just finished running Hoard + Rise of Tiamat and I'm now running Hoard for another group, so thank you very much for writing them!

I'm curious as to how you find the use of milestones in adventures - especially as Rise assumes their use. Do you find they change the way you design adventures? Any preferences for milestones or traditional XP?

Hey Merric, thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad that Tyranny is working for you!

For milestones: Well, they certainly simplify bookkeeping and can speed up level advancement (which is why we used them in Rise). I think they do change adventure design, as they make it possible to be confident that the PCs are level X by the time they reach encounter Y. That's useful for combat/encounter design. I rather like milestones for adventure paths.

At the same time, milestones sort of assume a story-centric, somewhat railroady style, and they can be interesting as they change the reward structure. Because killing monsters no longer brings XP directly, milestones can make a party smarter or at least more cautious around chancy fights. There's less "I need to kill this to level" metagaming.

I don't think I'd use milestones with more open-ended, exploratory adventures. I'd want people poking into odd corners and pulling levers and so forth, messing around. Milestones don't necessarily work for the wilderness, for character-driven campaigns, for improv-centric play styles.

I learned the game on XP systems, but I can see milestones being very useful. I just don't want them taking over, so I might dial them back to story awards as per 2nd Edition.

Monkey King

Explorer
I am currently running a 5e campaign, converting one of your products. I am running Courts of the Shadow Fey. The party is about to enter the shadow plane and enter the actual courts. Any suggestions or advice on running or converting some of the elements.

Hey Xantherion, glad to hear that Courts is going into another edition! I would certainly like to hear what converts easily, and what doesn't. I happen to have many of the monsters converted, and it's one of the adventures I'd love to offer for 5th Edition players sometime.

I don't have clever advice for it, though I can say that there's no such thing as too snooty when you're playing one of the shadow fey NPCs. Post or send a play writeup if you like!

And with that, folks, midnight chimes on the East Coast, and it's time to wrap up the AMA. Thank you all for your kind and challenging and interesting questions. I had a blast, and I hope Morrus does a bunch more of these AMAs this year.

Happy gaming!

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Obviously I did not participate in this, but this was cool. Great idea Morrus. Loved the brown boxes for Wolfgang (brown being my fav colour helps). Wolfgang's answers are great with lots of links for extra info. Whilst I may not be able to participate in many of these, I will certainly be reading them. :)

Remove ads