Amazing Tales from Centropolis

GreenKarl

First Post
Inside the lobby the Tower there was indeed both a receptionist and a couple of security guards where Human Inc. uniforms and holstered advanced looking tasers. It appears the lobby was mostly empty as all the shops were closed and those few people moving about were only here to grab a few personal belongs or important documents before fleeing the downtown core.

The receptionist, an attractive African-American lady wearing a blue suit and standing behind a large reception desk asked "May I help you with something? Did I see you flying outside? Are you hear to see the Centurions?"

GM: Oh now I got you. During the storm you definitely sensed 'evil' about but there was not pinpointing it. She just has had a lot of sense that something bad was coming as the storm got worst

Brandon suppressed the sudden urge to gush about how cool it is to fly. "I hope you can help," she said in a sing-song quality that bugged Brandon. He dreaded what came next, "My name is..." She struck a cliched heroic pose, hands on hips, chest puffed with pride, "Princess Starlight." Then she snapped her heels together and gave a swift salute. He did not know why she had to do that when she said The Princess' name. But she did. Relaxing from the pose, she continued, "I'm here to help the Centurions when the sugar hits the fan tomorrow, Ma'am." Throughout her display, the woman in blue smiled at how cute she sounded, looked, and acted: Brandon just wanted to die.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
vN3bzC7QJ_65E0-HgqG2Z0CUjNRHwoCZ773Vs-y2xpIBPKLpHMVorrAQpbNx_U1t4R3Kf5e5h8ZdoNvj6M7JCLMqzpnnk-xQuJ2-uWx-7Bg_ouJJnu_Cxw4cippkNKZat4CLeTwUpa-0rj9xkGD5_LVTmZKQLkH-4vY_2aguD_4Tq8htC7CXWCkHK4Kf1GVvAEucjHtODdOIsRqkMy_SQGx1N24h-_R7baTEDyHvY2EzqCEToi0w9m07aY1QP8214UJXH51P1Qp9BKQl-bBoECCqcJ6yUNqLpqpFrkeJXE0Ou_QxLbS2XowV8khZ3pjknnfwjEsjrmOCBLt24N_qahiOGgMZC_4uwCNZXvSU82rASgydapfbpy4XFpEzAz5mbbuak7VOa9rY0VXfWMYZY2KybMb_1Kxw4JPtUSIC9342mXFCQxa4Pc6H_Oeig6HQSnRjSF_vcHBfCgFb4Frpy_hdGN8sZ2_jkP1DNPO-c8w_TRqTA7Tc08_Tsi3nMfQCrE9nGf3Qg--XvL026h2XTrO3GaO6t0uGFUhGoQln6Dgpp4PSntYNBALJAf-U5xcPOvEz2YQEEGvW89y2BqA0v_0JPl0ZFps4_Foe5ZJiFkmBUF4-v1MU=s321-no

Kimberly Black
Human, Inc.
Friday, February 10, 2017/8:01 AM
Round 0

“Really? Princess Starlight?” came a girl’s voice to the side as a teenage girl about Princess Starlight’s age exited the elevator. She had dark hair and eyes and wore jeans and a black Steampunk Zombies t-shirt and an open red hoodie. Her canvas sneakers were red, as well. “That’s what you’re going with?” She pushed a strand of dark hair from her pretty face and looked the Princess over. “Nice outfit.” There was a tease in her smile, but nothing mocking or cruel.

“Hey,” Kim greeted the receptionist by name (whatever it is). “Zapp’s open or not?” she asked. “School got cancelled.” She glanced out through the doors to the storm outside. It was starting to abate now. “Weird weather, huh?” she said, coming up to Princess.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
27yvqxy.jpg

The Shadow
Human, Inc.
Friday, February 10, 2017/8:01 AM
Round 0

Red Haven had been crazy the last few days, the storm driving everyone nuts. One would think they would stay indoors, but the Shadow was busier than usual. That suited him just fine, however. Pounding on Russians usually gave him a bit more clarity. But not in this weird storm. He stared down at the unconscious Medved Koroli muscle held up only by Shadow’s grip. The man’s face was bloody, and so was Caleb’s gloved hand. Well, there wouldn’t be any questioning this guy. Caleb rubbed his face wearily. The storm was getting to him, too.

Caleb heard a noise from the rooftops above and saw a familiar figure bound across the gap. “Parkour,” Caleb growled. He dropped the beaten Russian gangster and stepped into the shadows to the roof. He spotted the villain across the roof and ran after her. She leapt to the next roof and Caleb kept up by teleporting through the shadows. “Not this time!” he muttered. She looked back and laughed at him.

Caleb had seen the villain several times in the last few days. She was obviously taking advantage of the storm, but for what reason? Was she trying to follow him? Discover his identity and threaten his family, like she had said in their first confrontation?

Caleb skidded to a halt on a large, open rooftop. He had a view in all directs and couldn’t see the young supervillain. Where had she disappeared to? He checked the alleys and streets around the building, but saw nothing.

Caleb wiped his face tiredly, the rain from the storm dripping even with his hood up. Such odd weather for the Midwest in February. His head pounded. He needed coffee, and it was getting light. He should head home, turn in for a few hours until Kim got home from school. Red Haven would have to take care of itself for a while.

Caleb stepped into the shadows, heading back toward Centurion Tower. He arrived back just as the monitors and TVs turned on, making the announcement from Dr. Apocalypse.

“His own kingdom? Seriously?” Caleb asked, stripping out of his wet uniform and into a clean one. He looked longingly at his bed, but decided this would need to be dealt with first and headed off to find his daughter.

[sblock=Actions]
Movement:
Effect:
Action:
Effect:
Conditions:.
-0 Toughness
Regenerating 0/5 rounds
Hero Points: 1
[/sblock]

OOC: The Princess arrived at headquarters at night within an hour or two of the ultimatum and after the storm was completely gone. Not 8am.

Princess Starlight turns with delight in her eyes, her hair swooshing around her head, at the sound of the voice coming from the direction of the security elevators. As she sees the teenage girl her expression becomes awkward as the boy inside is not sure how to address a pretty girl his own age. "Um, yes, it's my name. Cool t-shirt."

OOC: I've already forgotten her aura. I'm guessing the receptionist, who has not responded to The Princess or Kim is under the entranced effect. When Kim approaches, she needs to make a Will save DC 16. The Princess will probably aid her out of the effect quickly. It is an insidious effect so those affected don't realize they were entranced afterward.

OOC: [-]When was the ultimatum issued by Doctor Apocalypse? I thought it was during the evening news: 5pm-7pm. So she would get to the plaza around 9pm. It has to be daylight when the news broadcasts the speech since the skies clear after that. Brandon slipped away during the discussion after the speech and ruminated about stopping by to register that night or wait until morning. He didn't wait until morning.

And I'm surprised any place in the city closes at night. I would think Centropolis was a city that didn't sleep like NYC given the size of the place.[/-]
I did not see the 8:01 am CST on the initial post. So then it is morning. I'll adjust my stuff that refers to the night. It's probably approaching 9am when she arrives at the Tower. EDIT: Nothing needed adjusting but my inner assumptions.

The receptionist should be neither impressed nor unimpressed. The power is insidious. You don't know it is there even if you make the save. Unless she didn't care for the salute. :)

"Those guards are creeping me out now." Brandon thought. "How unprofessional."

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
*YESTERDAY:

'Two minutes,' Bella thought. 'I could be HOME in TWO MINUTES! What am I still doing here?' Nobody would blame her- with all the chaos, she wasn't even sure anyone would notice she was gone. But she couldn't do it.

The last couple of days had been flat out terrible. At first it was just the rain. Living in the dorms at Pine Oaks meant that was just annoying, but still better than snow. Bella had grown up in Southern California, and while it didn't really rain often, when it did rain it could get crazy. Snow was worse, even just staying on campus. She had bought an umbrella and gone on with her life, complaining just like everybody else.

But then the rain didn't stop, and the weather kept getting worse. Classes started getting cancelled, and flooded streets made travel a nightmare- well, not for Bella, but for those around her. The office where she had a work study job had closed for a while, after the roof had started leaking under the meteorological onslaught. Bella had hunkered down in her dorm room, only occasionally bothered by her roommate, and tried to get ahead on some of her assignments- "Going out" meant going down to the dining hall; nobody was going into town even with the convenience of the Train.

And it kept getting EVEN WORSE. People started talking about hurricanes, and flooding, and "Weather anomalies". The other stuff was worse. Bella had grown used to half-seen images at the edge of her vision, things that vanished when she turned to look, and at sounds (Almost but not quite voices) just at the limits of her attention. Usually they stopped after a while, once she started concentrating. But now she was seeing stuff right in front of her- supervillains she remembered from the news back in San Angeles, even things she remembered from old clips Mercurio had shown her years ago; and she was hearing voices- clear voices, calling for help, or shouting threats. None of it made any sense. And she could tell that other people were having the same problems.

The campus-wide safety alerts on her phone grew into a near-constant shrill claxon- the fire department and emergency services weren't able to keep up. And the steady stream of Breaking News Bulletins online from all the local outlets showed things were even worse out in the city. Bella tried to buckle down, tried to hibernate in her room.

But in the end, she just couldn't hide. She had been thinking about going out to help around campus before. Mercurio, when she had talked to her about it, had approved. But she hadn't actually done it. Not yet. She had put on her costume, the sleek grey bodysuit she jokingly called her "Sealskin", and she had put on the elaborate metal glove Mercurio had made for her- the so-called Dimensional Field Matrix Manipulator... And she had gone up to the roof of her dorm, and looked out over the campus, wondering where to start. But that was it, that was all she had done.

Until now. She had called her mother (Again), and delivered the latest installment of reassurances. Everything is all right, the weather is terrible but I'm staying inside, the dorms were build to handle a tornado- all the things she knew her mom needed to hear. And she had called Mercurio- the old man was worried, but he couldn't talk; he was in the midst of some very long, complicated divinational ritual.

The campus alerts on her phone made it easy to track where the trouble was. Once Bella was in costume and ready, she didn't have to wait long. She started simple.

>Car accident, with entrapment: Someone had hit a flooded patch of road at the edge of campus, and another car hit THEM when they tried to back up suddenly, rolling the car and pinning the driver inside the rising waters. FD in route, ETA two minutes. Warp was there in seconds. She couldn't just lift the car or stop the water. But light danced around the metal glove on her left hand, and the driver was free, lying on the sidewalk under an awning to wait for more help.

>House fire: At the other end of campus was a tree-lined street of older Victorian-style houses- they were almost all owned by senior faculty, and the campus slang had dubbed the area Emeritus Row, or "the Tenure Tract". And even in this weather, houses like that could burn. The Fire Department was rushing to the scene, but the closest engine had had an accident of its own. Warp was there way before any other help. The neighbors and onlookers were still gathering on the street, in cars, and on nearby porches- but so far they were just watching. The house itself was fully involved, and there was screaming somewhere inside. Warp watched from a roof across the street- but she didn't watch for long; just long enough to listen, to make sure the screams didn't fade out or change pitch, like the shadow voices she had been hearing the last few days. Three minutes later, there were four people on the neighbor's porch, watching their house burn, and the fire department still wasn't there. Warp was gone, but some of the bystanders had had cameras...

>>TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
It was official: The storm sucked.

At first it was kind of fun. There was more wind, less rain, and though it slowed her down she could cling to walls and floors and navigate the city more safely than most rescue units. People who were confused or lost she could guide to safety with holograms. She could see the heat of people who were trapped and hard to hear over the noise of the storm, highlighting them with bright images if she couldn't get them out on her own.

But then Kitsune noticed a change. The victims of the storm weren't just scared, they were angry. More than once she had to exert her powers not to rescue, but to break up bitter brawls. That change hit close to home as well.

It was the third day of the storm when her father got word that Keiko seemed not to be in the house. He'd cornered her to demand to know why she'd gone. Where she'd gone. Was she trying to kill herself? Was she trying to kill her family from shame?

Keiko had had to invent a story about wanting to pick something up from the school, and in his anger and fear, he nearly withdrew her from the university in response. So on the fourth day, as the storm reached its peak, she was grounded in her room with someone just outside the door. He knocked if too much time went by without hearing anything.

Intolerable.

She paced. She knocked things over. Whatever madness the storm carried, Keiko wasn't immune to it. She was maybe minutes away from cracking and spilling the beans...defiantly showing her father and his witless pawns exactly who they thought they were messing with...when she saw the shadow of a cape outside her window. The sparkle of violet. She KNEW that sparkle.

But he was in jail! Without his staff, without his magic! How had he found her?! Even though he could see through her illusions, she'd had a mask on, a costume!

Keiko went to her window and yanked it open, using a flick of telekinesis to snap the lock off as she did.

It wasn't the Baron who greeted her though. There was a shape in the clouds, oh yes, but one she didn't recognize.

Her door opened, and the butler outside lifted an eyebrow as he took in the open window, and Keiko standing there as wind and rain streamed in.

"I...thought I heard something," she said lamely. "Outside." She closed the window.

She was saved by the sound of the television downstairs...the deep voice of what could only be a Villain! Keiko reached out to feel where the butler was, apologizing demurely as she did, then trotted hastily downstairs to witness the address of Dr Apocalypse. It was also a good opportunity to sit down between her mother and father on the couch, and snuggle a little, and as the madness of the storm ebbed, burning bridges were mended.

The next day Keiko got permission to go to the university, after getting assurances from the school that no threats had been made to the campus or students.

Of course, it wasn't the university that got a visit from Keiko that day. It was Centurion's HQ that was visited by Kitsune!

And boy, you took a couple of days off, and look what happens. Sailor mispronounced-Uranus was in the lobby talking to the receptionist and Shadow's kid.

Kitsune, ever sensitive to the opportunity for mischief, vanished behind an illusion of 'not being there' and slipped in just behind a delivery guy who paused just inside, momentarily thunderstruck by the devastating power of kawaiiiiiiiii that emanated from the Princess.

That power was only magnified when a horrifyingly adorable, roly-poly white fox with stubby paws and big eyes poofed out of thin air near the Princess and tumbled clumsily in midair for a moment before drifting over towards her shoulder.

"Ah!" it piped in a high, fluting, childlike voice, "At last I have found you!"

Remove ads