Amazon: A deeply discounted PHB heads towards the top 10 and overall rankings still really high

S'mon

Legend
Yes, sadly. I should really buy a new Player's Handbook. Unfortunately, the book I got back in 2014/15 was one of those early-print-run PHs that came apart very soon because of atrocious binding. What I have today can't really be called a book anymore.

Send pics to WoTC customer services and they'll send you a free one. They did for me (MM too) - and it was only a few months ago.

S'mon

Legend
Smart marketing. Almost no one buys >just< the PHB. First taste is cheap, then they get you

Players? I think most players buy a PHB, certainly at my Meetup. Unlike 4e where most players ran their PCs off the charbuilder software - which meant IME they never got the hang of most of the rules. At any rate, even if most players buy nothing, a lot more PHBs are sold than DMGs & MMs.

Chase Skylark

First Post
Players? I think most players buy a PHB, certainly at my Meetup. Unlike 4e where most players ran their PCs off the charbuilder software - which meant IME they never got the hang of most of the rules. At any rate, even if most players buy nothing, a lot more PHBs are sold than DMGs & MMs.

That seems odd to me. Every person in my group and most at the FLGS have the PHB and at least one other book, SCAG, MM, XGtE, or some module they'd like to run. Licensed products help too with "official dice" and nolzur's miniatures. A PHB for 20 bucks starts a potential long term customer.

darjr

I crit!
A coworker bought the phb because he was watching critical role and wanted to know what was going on. Now he asked me when I run.

darjr

I crit!
It made it up to 3.

Capture.PNG

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, sadly. I should really buy a new Player's Handbook. Unfortunately, the book I got back in 2014/15 was one of those early-print-run PHs that came apart very soon because of atrocious binding. What I have today can't really be called a book anymore.
I also got a free replacement from WotC when my PHB began falling apart, they are super responsive about fixing that.

Quickleaf

Legend

Same thing happened to me and I put off doing anything about it. Just yesterday I looked up how to fully separate the book from its binding with an exacto knife (which took maybe 20 minutes), then had it spiral bound at FedEx Office. They couldn't do the cover – too thick – so I just did color photocopy of back and front of PHB on cardstock, which was about $2.00 (USA). The spiral binding ran about $8.00 (USA), and it turned out really nice. I wish I'd done this sooner! Highly recommended. It lays flat now too, which is an added bonus.

zNtQBHx.jpg

FFH6fhK.jpg

Remove ads