D&D 5E Amazon US book sales rank.

darjr

I crit!
the new cover Tyranny of Dragons is at #1895 out of all books on Amazon US. At $35.

In preorder still.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 6.18.14 PM.png

They yet to be detailed book Keys from the Golden Vault is at #8837 at $45.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 6.20.17 PM.png

the PHB is #140 at $22
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 6.22.41 PM.png

Dragonlance is at #1648 at $45

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 6.23.44 PM.png

Spelljammer is at 958 at $39
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 6.27.32 PM.png

Reynard

Legend
Folks use this thread to measure how D&D is doing all the time. Has there been any movement that suggests the OGL debacle is having any impact on sales -- especially preorders of the next book (Keys)?

darjr

I crit!
Folks use this thread to measure how D&D is doing all the time. Has there been any movement that suggests the OGL debacle is having any impact on sales -- especially preorders of the next book (Keys)?
No, I've been looking. It has only been a few days. Less than a week? oof.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Those PHB sales indicate that people are still getting into the game...at an astonishing rate. I am sure most of them barely have any idea of who WotC is, except maybe as the company that also does Magic.

That doesn't mean the OGL fiasco can't have an impact, it can. But right now D&D still has great momentum.

Clint_L

Hero
I think it also might indicate that X-mas just happened and D&D is now enough of a cultural presence that it is an easy gift to buy when you're not sure what to get your niece or nephew who seem kind of nerdy. We don't know how many of those PHBs are being read.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Those PHB sales indicate that people are still getting into the game...at an astonishing rate. I am sure most of them barely have any idea of who WotC is, except maybe as the company that also does Magic.

That doesn't mean the OGL fiasco can't have an impact, it can. But right now D&D still has great momentum.
It can take a while, but the worm can turn; sharply over what can seem in retrospect a relatively small slice in time.

In August of 2007, we heard: "The game is the same; the game is the same". That was the hype video release for 4e. Dungeon and Dragon Magazine weren't being cancelled, they were "coming home" from Paizo, to quote Chris Perkins.

A year later, things didn't look nearly so cheery with the GSL. 4 years after THAT, 4th ed was withdrawn from the marketplace.

These things can turn over a relatively brief period of time - but not a week. It's a matter of 2-5 years, not 2-5 weeks.

But they CAN turn, just the same.

Oofta

Legend

I doubt most people who play D&D even know about this. In addition, most people don't use 3rd party products in my experience.

Even if other companies stop publishing tomorrow many, if not most, people won't care. That doesn't make it any better for the people it affects, but it is the reality. Most people just want to continue to play D&D.

Clint_L

Hero
4e didn't fail because of the GSL. It failed because most players thought it was an inferior version of D&D compared to Pathfinder. I know 4e had/has its fans, but the general consensus at the time was "this feels more like it wants to be World of Warcraft, while Paizo is actually sticking to D&D's roots."

Zardnaar

Legend
I doubt most people who play D&D even know about this. In addition, most people don't use 3rd party products in my experience.

Even if other companies stop publishing tomorrow many, if not most, people won't care. That doesn't make it any better for the people it affects, but it is the reality. Most people just want to continue to play D&D.

Anyone who watches any YouTube D&D content can't really miss us.

Since they are effected as well it's pretty much universally negative.

Last three me around 4E defenders thought a single YouTube video with 40k views mocking 3.5 helped sink 4E.

Remove ads