• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Ambidexterity in 3.5

Khristos

First Post
If you do that you should allow 2x strength for people wielding a 2 handed weapon. Otherwise you have 2 shortswords doing 1d6+ Str each vs a greatsword with 2d6 +Str 1.5(notice they 2 handed user only gets 1.5 str much like the current 2 weapon fighter). Now lets look at other things you can do. A TWF can get AC bonuses with feats (TWo Weapon Defense) A 2 handed fighter cannot. As a TWF gains levels and takes feats they get additional off hand attacks potentially. Adding full strength and no penalties would make it idiotic for anybody not to be a TWF

Khristos:

Whimsical is suggesting a feat that allows 2-weapon types to get 1x Strength on each hand (Ambidex, Ambistr, whatever).

There's already a feat that allows 2-handed weapon types to get 2x Strength (or, perhaps, a PrC ability - I can't recall).

So, the real question is why Whimsical's feat shouldn't exist.

Khristos

First Post
There is already a PRC ability to negate the penalty for TWF. I am unaware of a sourced ability that adds 2x strength for normal 2 handed use. Not saying there isnt one not one the pops into my head (Granted I don't buy Forgotten Realms material so it could be in there)

Khristos

First Post
Another item to note is there are more TWF prestige classes than 2 handed weapon classes. Classes like the Dervish with these feats would become even more of a death dealer than it currently is. TWF got much love in 3.5 (1 feat instead of 2 feats to get the bonuses of 0/-2 , advanced feats to grant more attacks with the second weapon, a means to increase defense without sacrificing the ability to attack with secondary weapon) This added with a defending weapon and you have a defensive bonus AND the attacks

Khristos said:
Another item to note is there are more TWF prestige classes than 2 handed weapon classes.

I'm not sure that's necessarily relevant. There may be more PrCs aimed specifically at improving TWF, but doesn't that speak more to the fact that it needs to be improved to begin with?

TWF got much love in 3.5 (1 feat instead of 2 feats to get the bonuses of 0/-2 ,

-2 / -2 is currently the lowest you can get your penalties, without, as you mention, the Dervish PrC.

advanced feats to grant more attacks with the second weapon,

Each of which takes *another* of a character's base 7 feats, on top of the one required to even marginally benefit from your chosen fighting style (none of which, I might add, are required to use and fully benefit from the two-handed style).

a means to increase defense without sacrificing the ability to attack with secondary weapon)

Yet *another* feat, which grants you a bonus to AC that is easily outclassed by nearly any shield - not to mention that a two-handed fighter could easily pick up a buckler, as well. (Doesn't Improved Buckler Defense allow a two-handed weapon to be used?)

Again, I'm not saying that two-weapon fighting is entirely the red-headed stepchild of 3.X D&D - but neither is the situation as lopsided as you are presenting it as.

Shellman

First Post
Take 4 levels of Tempest and you have negated the TWF penalties completly.

On the other hand by the time you complete all 4 levels plus add the prerequistes, I think you as a PC have earned the right to gain those benefits.

Otherwise why would we take feats if they didn't make a difference. Remember, it is a fantasy role playing game not the real world!

Seeten

First Post
Two-Handed Power STrike from Mongoose's Ultimate Feats gives 2x str dmg bonus while wielding a 2 hander. Power attack is also 1->2 on 2 handers.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Quasqueton said:
I take it some think full Strength bonus on the off hand is too powerful? I've only once seen a two-weapon fighter with 16 strength, and never with 18. Most have 10-14 Strength.

But that's because the style doesn't work too well with brute force. It has its advantages elsewhere. But now you can get more out of your strength if you wield two weapons than you can with that big, massive, two-handed weapon.

Already TWF is of advantage if you have lots of bonus damage dice, like flaming weapons or sneak attack.

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Khristos:

Whimsical is suggesting a feat that allows 2-weapon types to get 1x Strength on each hand (Ambidex, Ambistr, whatever).

There's already a feat that allows 2-handed weapon types to get 2x Strength (or, perhaps, a PrC ability - I can't recall).

So, the real question is why Whimsical's feat shouldn't exist.

That is the topic of another discussion. And that discussion is about who let that feat happen? I say that we shouldn't have an ambistrength feat, and we shouldn'd have a feat for double str with two-handed weapons, either.

Remove ads