• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ampersand: 2011 releases officially gutted

ShadesOfGrey

Explorer
I think they're on to something with this electronic tabletop, there is definitely an untapped market that will use that product. I just don't know that anyone at WotC has heard the term "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Untapped? Y'know, if WotC is putting all their D&D eggs in the VTT basket, somebody needs to tell whoever planned it out the reality of the market.

Right now, there are dozens of good commercial VTT options, and even more free (as in free beer) programs to do the VTT thing.
It might have been viable waaaay back when they started talking about it and making promises, but while wizards was tardy to deliver, others stepped in to fulfill so to speak.

The only thing that might give wizards an edge in this is being designed around the system (4e) and maybe good integration with DDI and official 'content'.

If they hope to sell DDI subscriptions with this, people on DDI are already subbed and the VTT wont change that,
and I doubt that people using free VTT software or commercial ones they already pay for are going to jump at the oppurtunity to get DDI if they havent already.

Maybe people who dont have DDI but would if it had VTT? I'm not sure, but I think for the people where that is such a big selling point, they already have some kind of system in place.

I have no idea what the strategy here is, and how they want to make good their investment, what they expect out of it.

But at least from where I am standing, it seems ill advised to invest money to service a market that is already been serviced more cheaply and probably better too.

I dont think Wotc develloping a VTT is a bad thing, but I sure as hell hope it's not their main strategy, because another setback there will put D&D further someplace where no-one wants it to be.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Well, the one advantage the WotC virtual table will probably have over other systems is that they will be directly connected to the various online D&D databases (character, monster, rule compendium etc.) If/when they design an encounter builder, trap builder, and terrain builder... those will also make the WotC VTT more enticing to a lot of people. Because there is something to be said for the time saving that comes from being able to plug directly into the D&D databanks.

Sure, many people who are using free VTTs might not switch over... but we do have to admit that the branding of an official "D&D VTT" will bringing in more people based on company affiliation alone. People want to play 'Dungeons & Dragons'... even if other games or equipment might actually be better per se. So that's an advantage that Wizards has that makes what they are doing an investment they see as worthwhile to make.

ShadesOfGrey

Explorer
Well, the one advantage the WotC virtual table will probably have over other systems is that they will be directly connected to the various online D&D databases (character, monster, rule compendium etc.) If/when they design an encounter builder, trap builder, and terrain builder... those will also make the WotC VTT more enticing to a lot of people. Because there is something to be said for the time saving that comes from being able to plug directly into the D&D databanks.

Sure, many people who are using free VTTs might not switch over... but we do have to admit that the branding of an official "D&D VTT" will bringing in more people based on company affiliation alone. People want to play 'Dungeons & Dragons'... even if other games or equipment might actually be better per se. So that's an advantage that Wizards has that makes what they are doing an investment they see as worthwhile to make.

That makes sense I guess. But if that is their line of thinking, it just seems like a longshot. It just seems pretty risky with not a lot of prospect if it's succsesfull, maybe the online stuff, boardgames, boosterpacks etc is just trying a lot of stuff out and hope something sticks *now* while the D&D team is still staffed & funded? It wouldnt suprise me if the team expects very bad weather with no easy way out, and needs something they can show the execs if they ever need to justify their existence.

A bunch of subscribers seems a lot more 'hard-data' to show then a line of books that may or not may be published sometime, which may or may not sell a certain amount based on previous books that may or may not have sold well previously.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads