[Ampersand] Bill Slavicsek on campaign settings

Mirtek

Hero
Wolfspider said:
Sounds like a solid plan.
Really? They honestly think that people who only bought FR stuff and never Eberron stuff (or vice versa) will start buying Eberron stuff just because they changed the color of the books?

I am also puzzled with the "any Core supplement will also be a FR/Eberron supplement" thing. So a supplement talking about the newest plan of the Zhentarim to take over the trade between Sembia and the Dales will also be just as usefull to Eberron?

Most likely it means we will never again see such supplements detailing anything setting specific (beyond the 3 books) but only bland unassigned core stuff. And that is definetly not "also Eberron/FR", it's just bland core like in every other edition before. Nothing new

Last edited:

Mirtek said:
Really? They honestly think that people who only bought FR stuff and never Eberron stuff (or vice versa) will start buying Eberron stuff just because they changed the color of the books?
I think its more the impression that some players get that you aren't ALLOWED to combine certain books.

I've seen it many, many times and its always baffled me. Its not a huge step, but I don't see it as a bad thing in any way.

hexgrid

Explorer
Mirtek said:
Really? They honestly think that people who only/never bought FR stuff (or vice versa) will start buying Eberron stuff just because they changed the color of the books?

It will work for me. Knowing that each setting is only 3 books, and is specifically designed to have universally useful content, I'll likely by them all. By contrast, I bought no 3e FR products, and only the core Eberron book.

Lacyon

First Post
Mirtek said:

As long as FR stuff stops being a prime source of broken, I will.

Lacyon said:
As long as FR stuff stops being a prime source of broken, I will.
Good catch...

i would have liked to buy FR books, but when I opened prestige class sections i often put those books right back on the shelves (silver marches i look at you)

Mercule

Adventurer
Mirtek said:
No, they think people will buy stuff that isn't labeled for one of the specific settings. For example, I knew that almost half of WotC offerings weren't on my list because I refuse to buy anything with the Forgetten Realms name on it.

Even if I liked FR, I'd be hesitant to buy anything because there are so many books.

Most likely it means we will never again see such supplements detailing anything setting specific (beyond the 3 books) but only bland unassigned core stuff. And that is definetly not "also Eberron/FR", it's just bland core like in every other edition before. Nothing new
I expect that a lot of the fluff will find its way to Dragon, now. That's great because the digital space is cheap, which means that it won't definitely edge out information for those who don't play a specific setting. Kinda like the Eberron and FR conversions for Paizo's APs -- but, hopefully, better.

Andur

First Post
I neve bought a single Eberron product, nor a single Realms product, why? Because I hated the fluff in both of those settings. Realms is great to read a book about, but to actually play or run it is horrible from where I'm sitting. Eberron had no connetion with me at all.

I liked Greyhawk, but thought making it a "default" setting in .x was a bad move, it made it seem like it was the "basic" version of the game and one would go and play something else for more advanced play.

I won't be buying a FR or Eberron 4e product either for a half a dozen feats, some spells, and a few classes, unless they are totally devoid of any fluff. And then what's the point of putting the setting name on them in the first place?

D'karr

Adventurer
I find it funny that Scott is now The Rouse in most articles. Another trend begun in ENWorld. That is why this community rawks!!!

Remove ads