An Art Tutorials Wiki!

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Last year, I started with drawing after a break of more than 10 years after I purchased a graphics tablet. Back then, my drawings were crude and primitive (I'm slowly getting better, but I not really "good", either).

So naturally, I sought out online tutorials helping me with digital art. And I found lots. But it was quite difficult to find the exact one I wanted. And naturally, there were lots of cool tutorials that I didn't even knew I wanted until I found them.

So I put them all into a large link list. Which got large. Really large. In the end, I decided that I should simply put it all into a Wiki, and I finally found a suitable at RPGNet. And there the link list has remained to this day.

But I'm not really satisfied yet. After all, this is primarily a Wiki for role-playing games, not art - so it's hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Instead, what I'd want to see is a Wiki truly dedicated to art tutorials with its own URL. This Wiki would include both link lists to existing tutorials (my own lists on the old Wiki would be a good start) and, ideally, new tutorials with images created and uploaded specifically for this purpose. And there would be no need to limit it to digital art, either - this was my focus since that's what I am concentrating on, but in a Wiki there's enough room for everyone.

For this project, we'd need the following:

- Someone who can host the Wiki. I've already tried Wikia.Com, but I didn't get a reply - possibly because their policy against Wikis that are merely link lists. So we need someone with enough webspace to host such a Wiki.

- Volunteers who are willing to either create new art tutorials for it, or convert their own older ones into the Wiki format (but they must be their own work - no copying the tutorials of other people without their permission). I could post my Cartography Tutorials to it, for example.

- People who spread the word - by telling other people about it, putting a link into their signature, and so forth. This is vital - a Wiki lives and dies by how well-known it is. I've instigated several Wikis, and one of them (the d20 NPCs Wiki) has become so popular that it now sees almost daily updates without me having to do any work on it. Others floundered shortly after they started.

But first things first. Does someone here have any webspace available and would be willing to host such a Wiki? I would recommend the standard MediaWiki software, since most people will already be familiar with it from the Wikipedia...

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
thanks alot. You can never learn to much!

I suck at computer languages and scripting (and sometimes even English) but I will help with the art tutorials.

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
thanks alot. You can never learn to much!

I suck at computer languages and scripting (and sometimes even English) but I will help with the art tutorials.

There's not really any scripting involved. All we need is some webspace capable of running php scripts. If we have that, installing the Wiki software should be pretty easy - even someone who doesn't know any programming should be able to do so as long as he follows the instructions on the MediaWiki home page.

And then we can start using the Wiki...

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I found a commercial provider for free wikis which didn't require a lengthy application process.

The Art Tutorials Wiki is now open and can be found here!

I'll try to move some of my cartography tutorials over later today...

Remove ads