An Open Letter to Dragon and Dungeon Readers

Keith F Strohm

First Post
Since the launch of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, fans of Dragon and Dungeon magazines have rolled with a lot of changes. Absorbing the rules “shock” that came with the new edition of D&D occurred simultaneously with an all-new look and format for the magazines. Add on top of that the changes that came as Paizo Publishing, LLC took over the development and sales of the magazines, and you’re talking about one wild ride!

Change can be very difficult to go through—especially if it involves something for which you have a deep passion. Looking beyond the tumult of the past two years, however, I believe that the company has managed to continually improve the overall quality of Dragon and Dungeon magazines. Though they might be a little uncomfortable with my sharing this, the editorial staff of Dragon and Dungeon go above and beyond the call of duty to provide the best RPG magazines possible—often working late nights and weekends to do so.

Over these years, we have learned a lot about our business, ourselves, and you, our customers. We’ve had successes . . . and failures—both of which you’ve been eager to let us know about.

And we’ve been listening.

You see, Paizo Publishing has recently gone through its own set of changes. Old friends have left the company and new ones have joined. At heart, we’re still all gamers (just ask Dungeon Associate Editor James Jacobs about how the Australian funnel web spider became a fearsome D&D creature known as the Viper Spider). But, we’re gamers with a mission. It’s our responsibility to plan and build for the long-term health of both Paizo Publishing and the Dragon and Dungeon brands. At the end of the day, we have a business to run. We’ve done some exceptional things in the past, but we’re simply not content to be exceptional. We want to be the best, and the only way we can do that is by delivering magazines that meet or exceed the needs and value expectations of the largest segments of our audience.

So, we’ve spent the last 6 months listening to you. Whether it’s been Letters to the Editor, threads on Internet newsgroups and forums, private emails, or Customer Service calls, we’ve sifted through your opinions and feedback, pored over our market research, and debated both our strategies and the fundamental ways in which we do business. During this process, we rebuilt the magazines from the ground up to make them useful and exciting to the widest segment of our audience. Our goal during this time was not simply to make a better Dragon magazine or an improved Dungeon. Ultimately, we labored to create the best two magazines devoted to Dungeons & Dragons that we possibly could. This was the same philosophy that I used as Brand Manager for D&D under Ryan Dancey during the launch of 3rd Edition.

The results of our efforts will appear this August when we release the “new” Dragon (with issue #323) and Dungeon (with issue #114) magazines. By now, I’m sure you’ve read the cryptic hints left by the editors in response to letters, email, and forum responses. Rather than continue to tease you about what the future holds, I think it’s important to share with you some of the details of the “new” Dragon and Dungeon magazines—after all, you’ve helped shape what these two magazines have become:

The “New” Dragon

Starting with Issue #323, Dragon Magazine opens its pages to a new era of utility and excitement. In addition to its usual complement of material that provides D&D players with the tools they need to raise the level of their play experience, the new Dragon provides more information about all aspects of the D&D brand. Whether you knock down dungeon doors in the tabletop RPG, command warbands with the D&D Miniatures game, invade the Underdark online with your closest friends, or enjoy reading about the exploits of your favorite characters, the new Dragon is THE source for information about and content for Dungeons & Dragons. Also, starting with issue #323, the new Dragon presents a bonus quarterly catalog giving you the scoop on upcoming D&D releases from Wizards of the Coast, all gathered in one place.
And lest you think we’re skimping on RPG content, our plans for the new dragon include having articles that present new spells, feats, magic items, rules advice, player tactics, a single prestige class, a new PC race, and an ecology of a monster in every issue--something for everyone, no matter what character they play! With features like the new Class Acts—which provides content for each of the eleven Player’s Handbook classes—and Coup de Grace—the last word in gaming, this column lets you hear from the people behind every aspect of D&D, from designers and developers to members of the marketing team—Dragon continues its tradition of providing the best D&D RPG content to its readers.

The “New” Dungeon

Beginning with issue #114, Dungeon magazine becomes the ultimate resource for Dungeon Masters. Each issue will contain three adventures, one each for low-, medium-, and high-level play. So, no matter the experience level of your party, DUNGEON’S got you covered every single month. In addition to the high-quality adventures you’ve come to expect from the magazine, Dungeon will expand its offerings to include articles and other content written specifically to help DMs take their game to the next level. From old favorites like the ever-popular Dungeoncraft by Monte Cook, to new features like the Campaign Workbook—a section devoted to providing tools specifically designed to enhance a DM’s ability to create lively and adventurous campaigns—the “new” Dungeon offers experienced DMs and players interested in taking up the reigns of Dungeon Mastering everything they need to be successful.

In order to provide this in-depth offering, Dungeon will now focus exclusively on Dungeons & Dragons—delivering even more high-quality D&D coverage. We listened to your feedback, and it was clear that by trying to serve D&D fans, the d20 market, Star Wars fans, and the RPGA, our magazine wasn’t completely succeeding at delivering the highest quality experience for any of those groups. We know that many of you subscribed to Dungeon for the complete mini-games and articles about Star Wars d20 and D&D Modern. Unfortunately, there weren't enough of you to offset those who left the magazine due to the decrease in the D&D content each issue. The D&D players felt we weren't giving them enough D&D content, and the Polyhedron readers felt that we shorted the d20 stuff. For this reason, after careful thought and some soul searching, we’ve decided to end the long run of Polyhedron Magazine and focus on being the best resource for Dungeon Masters. Regular RPGA updates will transfer to Dragon magazine to reach the largest number of D&D gamers around the world, and we’ll continue to include RPGA Player Reward adventure codes for each Dungeon adventure. With Network material in both magazines, Dragon and Dungeon will support the RPGA like never before.

Finally, each issue of the magazine will feature Wil Save, a regular column of gaming observations penned by none other than Wil Wheaton of Star Trek: The Next Generation fame.

Being a part of the D&D 3rd Edition launch, I know firsthand the depth of passion and commitment our audience has toward both D&D and our magazines (I share that commitment, as does Lisa Stevens, our CEO and another member of the 3rd Edition team). We’ll be reading and responding to Internet discussions, and if anyone would like to discuss the relaunch further, you can reach me at Keith@paizo.com.

I also know that many of you have experienced frustration over the years regarding subscription fulfillment. As many of you know, we recently moved our fulfillment of subscriptions in-house. Although we have had more than our share of logistics hiccups along the way, I want you all to know that we, as a company, find such "hiccups" unacceptable. We are already at work on building better internal processes to insure that subscription fulfillment runs more smoothly. However, I want you to know that I will be working personally on this issue until it is resolved.

Finally, I want to thank all of our readers who have helped make Dragon and Dungeon magazines so successful throughout the years. Without you, and your input, the future success of these magazines would not be possible. And, if you haven’t taken a look at Dragon and Dungeon in a while, I encourage you to pick up Dragon issue #323 and Dungeon issue #114. I know the experience will be a positive one.

Keith Strohm
Vice President
Paizo Publishing, LLC

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
Keith F Strohm said:
For this reason, after careful thought and some soul searching, we’ve decided to end the long run of Polyhedron Magazine and focus on being the best resource for Dungeon Masters.
Well, looks like I may be subscribing again. This is what people like me were asking for, and they delivered.

buzz

Adventurer
First off, I want to say that I have been more than happy with Paizo's tenure as keepers of Dragon and Dungeon. I heartily thank the staff for all of their wonderful work, and for making the kind of tough decisions explained in this letter in order to keep the titles profitable and of maximum utility to widest audience. Kudos, Paizo.

Keith F Strohm said:
In addition to its usual complement of material that provides D&D roleplaying gamer with the tools they need to raise the level of their play experience, DRAGON will widen its coverage to include articles and information about all aspects of the D&D brand.
I admit I'm not nuts about this, as I don't have much interest in the minis game nor online/CRPG D&D. That, and there are already other magazines, such as Undefeated and the myriad of PC magazines, that cover this ground already.

Keith F Strohm said:
Starting with issue #323, Dragon will contain a bonus quarterly Catalog detailing upcoming D&D releases from Wizards of the Coast, so you’ll have the scoop on the latest products all gathered in one place.
Okay, this is pretty darn cool. Though I guess it makes it more than official that Dragon is primarily a WotC marketing device... :)

Keith F Strohm said:
Dungeon will expand its offerings to include articles and other content written specifically to help DMs take their game to the next level. From old favorites like the ever-popular Dungeoncraft by Monte Cook, to new features like the Campaign Workbook—a section devoted to providing tools specifically designed to enhance a DM’s ability to create lively and adventurous campaigns—the “new” Dungeon offers experienced DMs and players interested in taking up the reigns of Dungeon Mastering everything they need to be successful.
Also quite cool.

Keith F Strohm said:
For this reason, after careful thought and some soul searching, we’ve decided to end the long run of Polyhedron Magazine and focus on being the best resource for Dungeon Masters.
I can't tell you how sad this makes me, as Poly was the reason I decided to subscribe to Dungeon. :( Will there be any printed support for non-D&D d20 games at all, anywhere?

Also, I take it that this will mean the death of the d20 mini-game. :\

Keith F Strohm said:
Finally, each issue of the magazine will feature Wil Save, a regular column of gaming observations penned by none other than Wil Wheaton of Star Trek: The Next Generation fame.
Okay, this is ALMOST enough to compensate for my disappointment above. But not quite.

Thanks for posting this, Keith. I hope that this new direction works out.

Last edited:

Simplicity

Explorer
While I know many people are into Polyhedron, I'm happy that
Dungeon is taking back its pages... Good change, Keith.

Wil Save... cute. So, how long before Wil registers on ENWorld?
Any guesses?

morbiczer

First Post
Well, thanks for the info first.

RE: Dragon

I obviously shouldn't complain before seeing a few of these new Dragons, but I really don't want to read about either miniatures or computer games in my favorite magazine. Those articles are absolutely useless to me. I understand to a certain degree miniatures, but computer games? I hope these articles won't form a big part of the magazine. And a new PC race in each issue? I fear some of these will be quite "funny". Are so many new races really needed? But let's hope for the best.

RE: Dungeon

This sounds really promising. I'm already toying for a long time with starting to buy Dungeon too besides Dragon, issue 114 will probably be my first purchase.

kamosa

Explorer
Thanks for the update Keith.

Looks like maybe I'll be picking up my subscription to Dungeon again.

Is there away to sign up today and start with just new issues onward?

{Dancing on Polyheadran's grave}

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have a number of things to say, not all of them good, but most of them positive. The hardest thing to accept was the death of Polyhedron which, while vastly different from what it once was, was still a D&D institution which I'm sorry to see finally die.

The Good

I'm glad to see the new split. It seems that Dragon will become a Player's Mag, and Dungeon will become mainly a DM's mag. It does indeed to have articles like Dungeoncraft in Dungeon rather than Dragon.

The Bad

I'm sorry to see that according to Keith, Dragon may be devoting itself solely to new classes/feats/prc's, etc. I dislike seeing more player "candies" than players can possibly even consume as it is, so something original would be desired by me - supplements like Erik's drive a few months back to name the best Dragon articles (like Ed Greenwood's Hells articles, Lew Pulsipher's "Be aware, take care" articles, etc.)

The Ugly

I must admit I'm at a loss when it was stated quite unequivocally that it was ONLY the merging of Polyhedron and Dungeon earlier that saved both magazines. Now the Polyhedron content is leaving, I'm wondering how that fits into earlier claims that Dungeon "cannot stand" without this content.

I await the new changes with bated breath. (Since I'm not a fisherman, I can't wait with "baited breath," so that will have to do. :D)

Thank you, Keith, for you informative open letter!

Psion

Adventurer
Dungeon: I am disappointed to see d20 modern material go, and there were some great minigames, it never seemed like Polyhedron's focus was steady. Such a change was probably overdue.

Dragon: OTOH, doesn't sound like you are improving that much. Tightening the focus on D&D and roleplaying is good; as long as pages are dedicated to fiction and the miniatures game, I feel you will have the same lack of focus that Dungeon was suffering from. I am really anxious to see what you come up with, but have difficulty not seeing those two items as space that, for the D&D player, could be better spent.

mmadsen

First Post
Keith F Strohm said:
Whether you knock down dungeon doors in the tabletop RPG, command warbands with the D&D Miniatures game, invade the Underdark online with your closest friends, or enjoy reading about the exploits of your favorite characters, the ‘new’ Dragon magazine is THE source for information and content about your favorite aspects of Dungeons & Dragons.
Sounds reasonable. Not for me, but I wasn't buying Dragon before.
Keith F Strohm said:
Beginning with issue #114, Dungeon magazine becomes the ultimate resource for Dungeon Masters. Each issue will contain three adventures, one each for low-, medium-, and high-level play. So, no matter the experience level of your party, DUNGEON’S got you covered every single month. In addition to the high-quality adventures you’ve come to expect from the magazine, Dungeon will expand its offerings to include articles and other content written specifically to help DMs take their game to the next level. From old favorites like the ever-popular Dungeoncraft by Monte Cook, to new features like the Campaign Workbook—a section devoted to providing tools specifically designed to enhance a DM’s ability to create lively and adventurous campaigns—the “new” Dungeon offers experienced DMs and players interested in taking up the reigns of Dungeon Mastering everything they need to be successful.
Sounds excellent.
Keith F Strohm said:
D'oh!

I'll miss the mini-games. (I won't miss anything else from Polyhedron, but I will miss the mini-games.)

Elodan

Adventurer
Keith F Strohm said:
The “New” Dragon
Starting with Issue #323, Dragon Magazine opens its pages to a new era of utility and power. In addition to its usual complement of material that provides D&D roleplaying gamer with the tools they need to raise the level of their play experience, DRAGON will widen its coverage to include articles and information about all aspects of the D&D brand. Whether you knock down dungeon doors in the tabletop RPG, command warbands with the D&D Miniatures game, invade the Underdark online with your closest friends, or enjoy reading about the exploits of your favorite characters, the ‘new’ Dragon magazine is THE source for information and content about your favorite aspects of Dungeons & Dragons. Starting with issue #323, Dragon will contain a bonus quarterly Catalog detailing upcoming D&D releases from Wizards of the Coast, so you’ll have the scoop on the latest products all gathered in one place.

And lest you think we’re skimping on RPG content, the ‘new’ Dragon will have something for every RPG’er, no matter what character they play. With features like the new Class Acts—which provides content for every core D&D character class EVERY issue—and Winning Races—a column that offers a new PC race or monster class progression each issue— Dragon will continue its tradition of providing the best D&D RPG content to its readers.
I like what I'm hearing here. I was definitely going to let my subscription lapse, but now I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Keith F Strohm said:
The “New” Dungeon

I think this change makes a lot of sense.

It's good to see that Paizo listens and makes changes according to what the customers want. Makes my decision to keep subscribing easier.

Remove ads