• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An open letter to Randy Buehler

What the heck does he actually do? Aside from piss off customers, that is.

Well, I have no idea what his position means. But I know little about this stuff where I work, either. I now there are people from "product management", and all they seem to do is trouble for us software developers and sometimes creating a new product that will live a fringe life, or a new pricing scheme.
But I am sure they have a little more... useful purpose. I just don't know it, because that's not the part I interface with.

reveal

Adventurer
Update: I also sent this letter to Wizards’ Customer Service asking for it to be forwarded to the proper individuals. Here is the response I recieved:

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for contacting us. Thanks for your feedback! We have regular meetings with the administrative staff and will pass all comments on to their attention. While we cannot guarantee a response to your feedback, we can promise that your comment will be heard.

Marc
Customer Service Representative
Wizards of the Coast

So, at the very least, someone there has it and, hopefully, this will prompt a change from Mr. Buehler.

AllisterH

First Post
As to who Randy is,

He's a former multiple Pro-Tour winner, inducted into the M:TG Hall of fame, and considered one of the greatest CONSTRUCTED deck builders ever.

He's coming from the M:TG side and other than taking part in the D&D sessions that WOTC employees do, he's never been part of the D&D side of the company.

He actually used to be much more active on the boards and used to write one of the most read columns on mtg.com ("Latest developments") so I don't think he "knows" D&D.

catsclaw227

First Post
As to who Randy is,

He's a former multiple Pro-Tour winner, inducted into the M:TG Hall of fame, and considered one of the greatest CONSTRUCTED deck builders ever.

He's coming from the M:TG side and other than taking part in the D&D sessions that WOTC employees do, he's never been part of the D&D side of the company.

He actually used to be much more active on the boards and used to write one of the most read columns on mtg.com ("Latest developments") so I don't think he "knows" D&D.
Huh... I got the impression that MtG players had some fairly strong crossover into D&D. Just goes to show how little I know about MtG and the (more) active players.

Arnwyn

First Post
Funny, when Paizo did Dungeon, there was never, not once, an overview of all the adventures until after the entire AP was released. Why should that change now?
Emphasis mine. Rather strong words for being completely and utterly wrong.

Hell, besides the already aforementioned ST overview, even AoW had the "AoW Overload" document shortly after that AP started.

Why even say that in the first place? Weird.

In any case, the fact that those in charge of this new AP don't even plan to have an overview is completely disgraceful.

AllisterH

First Post
Huh... I got the impression that MtG players had some fairly strong crossover into D&D. Just goes to show how little I know about MtG and the (more) active players.

*LOL*

You're kidding right? Randy hasn't been on the pro-tour in about a decade I think but he's the "gamer makes it to the bigtime and pursues his dream" that pretty much everyone on this board ACTUALLY wants (be honest, many of us would LOVE to work for WOTC and D&D)...

I think he actually delayed his doctoral on some paper on "quantum mechanics" to actually play M:TG professionally.

Honestly, I think there's practically LITTLE crossover between the two, especially on these boards.

I've been chanting the "3e is constructed, 4e is limited" phrase for a while and I've actually had multiple people mention, "What's constructed/limited" and worse, nobody even comments in either agreement or disagreement.

Worse, is the DDM talk where I tell people about the awesomeness of Limited and why the booster packs HAVE to be randomized, pretty much nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads