• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An unfinished Orcus Avatar

Tharen the Damned

First Post
I am ending my campaign the next week. My Players are 13th to 14th level and it will be my usual 5 + 2 "Guest Players".
The finish will be an encounter with an unfinished Orcus Avatar. This Avatar is still being fed with Blood and Souls in an egg like cocoon called the Heart of Darkness in a location called the Womb.
When the PCs arrive at the Womb, they will have fought legions of evil Priests, Undead and Demons. They will not be "fresh" and full of hp and spells.

This last fight against the Avatar should be memorable. A very hard and tough encounter which can (and likely will) kill a few PCs before its done.

But the Orcus Versions in the Tome of Horrors or the BoVD and even the Fiendish Codex are to tough for the group.
Do you have an idea, how I could de-advance Orcus?
Do you know of a template to weaken a creature?

Ideas very welcome.

Hi Tharen the Damned! :)

My suggestion is to modify the Book of Vile Darkness version as follows.

The following should result in a CR 14 version of Orcus.

- Halve Hit Dice: 18 HD (261 hp)
- Ability Scores*: Str 31, Dex 18, Con 30, Int 21, Wis 18, Cha 17

*Remove modifiers for size, halve score, add 7 to each score, replace modifiers for size.

- Armor Class: 29 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +4 Insight, +9 natural, +3 deflection)
- Spell Resistance 24
- Damage Reduction 10/cold iron, good and magic
- Poison 1d3/1d6 Str
- Spell-like abilities same, DC 13 + spell level
- Remove wizard caster levels.
- Summon: 1d3 Vrocks or 1d2 Hezrou.
- Summon 2d10 Wights, 1d4 Spectres or 1 Vampire or a Mohrg.

Wand of Orcus (facsimilie): +4 chaotic, unholy greatclub. Fortitude save on a critical hit (DC 14 or die instantly).

...something like that.

smootrk

First Post
Fiendish Codex 1 (Hordes of the Abyss) has rules for advancing the challenge rating for notable demons. Start with the CR22 version of Orcus listed there, and de-evolve him using those rules (in reverse). This will probably create the most appropriate 'core rules' version of him. If you are not concerned with cannon-accuracy, then tweak him as desired to demonstate his weakened/infantile status.

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Thanks all,

I think I will take the BoVD Orcus and de-evolve him to a CR 17 demon-princeling.
As he is fresh out of the "egg" he will have no Proxy of his Rod (was in the Hand of the now dead Highpriest - PCs have to pass him to get into th womb).

I will take away Hit Dice and take away his Wizard Levels and give him some Sorc. Levels.
Have to take a look at the Spell lik abilities and maybe strip him of some deadlier ones.

Nightfall, if you read this: The PCs only fight a lesser, not yet ready Avatar of Orcus. Our Prince of Undead will get a headache if this small part of him is killed and will get very annoyed with the PCs. I no campaign or adventure that I DM someone will be allowed or be able to Kill Orcus! NEVER!

Remove ads