D&D 5E An Upcoming 5E Classic Setting in a Brand New Format: The Realm of the D&D Cartoon Show (?)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
'80s and '90s cartoon series reboots are all the rage these days though. I could definitely see Hasbro salivating at the potential toy tie-ins.
It's a question of who owns what on that end tho. If Disney owns a piece then it might not be that great for Hasbro.

I'm thinking something has happened with Disney's ownership tho. If they ever eveb owned a piece (which they would have gotten in the Fox purchase if Fox owned a piece due to Fox's ownership of the Marvel Productions catalog )- they may have only acquired broadcast rights and not actual ownership - it's all very murky. The D&D kids have been showing up far too much lately.

I will say that as a Gen-Xer who was raised to love action figures, I wouldn't mind seeing 21st century versions of the LJN figures with the D&D kids in the mix. Except that I can't buy them all and would have no place to put them anyway...

I doubt they are going to go there. The D&D Cartoon is thoroughly in Grognard Territory. They are no longer the target audience for D&D.

'80s and '90s cartoon series reboots are all the rage these days though. I could definitely see Hasbro salivating at the potential toy tie-ins.
The logic of creating a D&D cartoon to attract young players to D&D is as inescapable now as it was in the 1980s. And program makers are inherently cautious, since there is a high initial capital investment. Remaking something that worked in the past is seen as less risky than creating something completely new. Hence the endless cycle of TV remakes when there are plenty of original properties that have never been touched.

Also worth remembering is that the people who are now in charge are probably in their 40s, and therefore just the right age to have fond memories of the cartoon.

Also, when I create adventures, I put in references that are purely for my own amusement, it's unlikely my players will ever spot them.

Last edited:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Sorry if its a double post but just saw this.

Keep in mind that sites like ComicBook have writers who have to churn out lots of writing to make any money, and so they often just end up writing up stories about fan theories that they read on twitter or on forums like this one. For example, there's nothing in the story that we haven't talked about in this thread - the author could even be just summarizing our discussion here!

R_J_K75

Legend
Keep in mind that sites like ComicBook have writers who have to churn out lots of writing to make any money, and so they often just end up writing up stories about fan theories that they read on twitter or on forums like this one. For example, there's nothing in the story that we haven't talked about in this thread - the author could even be just summarizing our discussion here!
Yeah admittely I came across then got a call and had to leave quickly and posted it without reading.

Mad_Jack

Legend
No Monster Manual. Collectible cards with adversary picture and stat block will be included in chewing gum packs
You mean, these old things from 1982?

On a side note, it might not be bubble gum, but there was actual D&D candy with trading cards as well...

1649439560745.png
1649439598855.png

I will say that as a Gen-Xer who was raised to love action figures, I wouldn't mind seeing 21st century versions of the LJN figures with the D&D kids in the mix. Except that I can't buy them all and would have no place to put them anyway...

I could get behind that - the only "action figures" of the kids from the cartoon that were ever produced were by a Portuguese company that put out a line of pvc figures which are vanishingly rare and people who have them try to sell them online for a couple hundred dollars or more... I've only managed to acquire three of them, mainly through luck.

I have the entire first series of the old LJN figures complete with accessories, and a good chunk of the second series, as well as all of the pvc monsters/npcs, the paladin's horse, the bronze dragon, and all of the bendy monsters.

EDIT: Did anybody else notice that the pictures of the maps from the old sticker books contain a place called Lake Melloweed?
Hmmm...

Last edited:

There is other option, collectable action figures with rules for "skirmishes". Wizkids sells, or sold, Shadowrun Duels.

D&D had got a collectable miniature game in 3rd.

2022 may be a year with radical changes in the entertaiment industry, for example after the merger with Discovery there is a "purge" in Warner.

---

Please, don't sell D&D candies or some of those nonenses, at least because that brand will be not sold in other countries.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases