Anatomy of a 20 Level campaign

The Big BZ

Explorer
With all the talk of high level campaigns and the Beyond data analysis I thought people might like to see the anatomy of our current campaign! We play once a fortnight like clockwork for between 6 and 8 hours, do the odd day long session when we are all off work at the same time (we all have square jobs) and went to France for a full weekend’s gaming around Level 5/6. We have had four players plus DM up to Level 15 but have acquired a fifth and almost exclusively use XP levelling. We have been playing for nine months and I expect us to finish up in about four more sessions with a Level 20 session and a Session Zero for the new campaign tacked on the end!

Level 1 - 4: Started in the Nether Mountains (Goodman Games The Keep on the Borderlands Update)
Travelled to Avernus (Random Planescape module from the Well of the Worlds)
Explored the North (random third party stuff and bits of Storm King's Thunder)

Level 5 - 6: Moved to Everlund (Bard's Gate from Midgard)
Journied south to the Cormantyr Forest (Lost Tales of Myth Drannor)
Foiled the machinations of the Cult of Vecna in the Shadowfell (Riddle of the Raven Queen)

Level 7: Retrieved a McGuffin from a vault under Castle Greyhawk (Random Greyhawk module from one of the City of Greyhawk box)
Foiled an Infernal plot in Waterdeep (Dragon Heist)

Level 8: Fought the Githyanki on the Astral Plane (The Lich Queen's Begotten)

Level 9 - 14: Entered Undermountain to disrupt a Githyanki Stronghold (Dungeon of the Mad Mage)

Level 15: Journied along the River Styx to Stygia to Destroy a Demonic Ship (To Wake the Leviathan)

Level 16: Entered the Demon Web pits via Sigil (Queen of the Demonweb Pits/Expedition to the Demonweb Pits mash up)

Level 17: Saved an Elven Village that had become trapped in the Demonweb (Lost Tales of Myth Drannor)

In general we all agree that mid level play is probably more fun but we really want to get to Level 20 for once so we can experience things like Wish Spells and Vorpal swords etc. The campaign has become more and more planar because A) I love planar stuff and B) It is a lot easier to mix and match stuff at higher levels with a planar bent.

(Early Levels copied from an earlier post on unified timelines of some such thing)

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
My party is heading for the Shadowfell soon and I'm not quite sure what types of encounters to use and if the environment itself will offer any difficulties. Does Riddle of the Ravenqueen have any generic Shadowfell lore/rules to steal? It has good ratings on DMs Guild so I may pick it up and run it with some reskinning to my needs.

pogre

Legend
My group is cranking on the Waterdeep stuff (Heist & Dungeon of MM). We play once a week for four hours. I push the pace and I think we will hit level 20 in about a year's time. We are at 8th level currently after starting in November.

My party is heading for the Shadowfell soon and I'm not quite sure what types of encounters to use and if the environment itself will offer any difficulties. Does Riddle of the Ravenqueen have any generic Shadowfell lore/rules to steal? It has good ratings on DMs Guild so I may pick it up and run it with some reskinning to my needs.

I think 4E had a supplement on the Shadowfell. I can go dig it up if you need the name.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I think 4E had a supplement on the Shadowfell. I can go dig it up if you need the name.

Quick google search would suggest that it is The Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond. Thanks for the heads up. This should prove to be a useful resource as my campaign setting is based on the Dawn War cosmology.

The Big BZ

Explorer

It has some very cool rules for effects in the Shadows ell and has a very good Shadar Kai/Raven Queen plotline. I highly recommend it actually!

The Big BZ

Explorer
Wow that's fast! Always takes me a couple years at least. Even playing 4-5 hours weekly.
We are medium RP and play quite quickly cause that's the playstyle we enjoy and because we kinda feel that campaigns lose momentum after a certain point. I do doff my cap to anyone who played 5 sessions of being trapped in a Drow prison at the start of OotA:D

Remove ads