• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Ancient Roman D20

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I had seen the first die pictured in the article, but not the other two. So it did have new material for me!

Oofta

Legend

Thus is so cool. D&D could put out their own version of this die.
There are some stone dice out there.

What's always funny to me is that whenever we find something and we don't know it's purpose, it's always "well this was probably used for some sort of religious purpose". Really? No one ever just made things they thought were cool or for entertainment? I mean, some people get religious about their D20s at my game table, but that doesn't mean the D20s in the article are being used for divination.

Maybe long ago someone had a story telling game that resolved uncertain events with the roll of a dice. 🤷‍♂️

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are some stone dice out there.

What's always funny to me is that whenever we find something and we don't know it's purpose, it's always "well this was probably used for some sort of religious purpose". Really? No one ever just made things they thought were cool or for entertainment? I mean, some people get religious about their D20s at my game table, but that doesn't mean the D20s in the article are being used for divination.

Maybe long ago someone had a story telling game that resolved uncertain events with the roll of a dice. 🤷‍♂️
Well, we do know that dice were used in religious rituals in the Mediterranean world from textual evidence (such as the Hebrew Bible, where throwing dice for decision making is an acceptable form of divination), and one of these dice has Egyptian Deity names on them. There is no evidence of statistics based dice games, but there is plenty in regards to divination.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I like to think that the ancient Romans played an RPG where they pretended to be ancient Egyptians.

"You guys, they did NOT have bronze back then. I want you to tell me exactly what you think your character's breastplate is made of, Lucius."

"I'm just gonna, like, step out into the vomitorium for a moment-"
"THERE ISN'T ONE, MARCUS! Ugh, it really breaks my sense of immersion when you do stuff like this!"

Remove ads