• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

And in 2013...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Looking back on 2012 and ahead to 2013, it looks likely that I'll continue to run four different versions of D&D.

D&D 4E:

My Greyhawk campaign continued its erratic course this year, with the usual run of events causing sessions to be missed. We gained a new player this year, but we're losing Adam. At present, this game is about 20th level, and we're three-quarters of the way through Tomb of Horrors. We also got to play through Logan Bonner's Lost City, which was fun. When the game restarts in the new year, we'll be doing a mix of homebrew and published adventures (mostly homebrew, I expect). The new Essentials maths made a big difference to the feel and enjoyment of this campaign, and I will probably incorporate a few ideas from the recent season of Encounters (War of Everlasting Darkness) as well, to get around the "only big fights" in a session.

I also ran a lot of D&D Encounters sessions this year. It actually was a pretty good year for the Encounters program, and my FLGS regularly got around 10-12 players; I don't think we ever quite got to three tables, but it came very close at times. (Last week, we could have gone to three tables, but we were missing a regular DM so we stayed at two - with the emphasis on story over combat, we were able to get away with it).

Next year, my table of Encounters will probably use the D&D Next rules; I'm not sure if the other table will change as well. Time will tell.

AD&D 1E:
At the end of last year, I started up an AD&D campaign for the Saturday players at my FLGS. It's been extremely successful, although its success caused a couple of other non-D&D campaigns to start up (Rifts, Fantasy Hero), and as a result it dropped down to fortnightly away from weekly. We've still had about 37 sessions in the year. Concentrating more on dungeon-exploration (and combat) than character and role-playing, it's been a lot of fun. It will continue on into the new year, and the group may get closer to completing the overall quest that underpins the campaign. I've enlivened it up by dropping Rappan Athuk (Swords & Wizardry version) into the campaign world as well, just when the players want a change from my dungeon-designs. :)

As a result of the campaign, the reprints of the AD&D books have been very popular in store, and a few of the players have acquired some of the older printings as well. For the most part, I've only been using the original three books, but the release of Unearthed Arcana next year will prove interesting; I don't intend to include it, but some of my players might insist.

The rerelease of the adventures as well is something I'm looking forward to.

D&D Next:
I'd hoped to run a lot more D&D Next than I did this year; it should have gone into the slot of my Friday (Greyhawk) campaign, but player availability was a big problem. I did run a few sessions, including a couple in a potential "military" campaign, but the rapidly-changing state of the rules was a problem. At present, it isn't a system that's quite there, and it became painfully apparent as we played it.

The addition of D&D Next as an option with D&D Encounters next year will allow me to run a lot more of it; it will be very interesting to see if the players prefer using it or the 4E rules.

Pathfinder:
I hadn't intended to run Pathfinder. I was pretty well burnt out on 3E when 4E came out: I've run a lot of 3E and I'm only too aware of its flaws. However, after the 4E/HPE campaign finished at the end of 2011, my Sundays became free (and Greg was without a campaign to play in). A few of my friends from my FLGS were interested in playing in a Pathfinder game, and one thing I did have was all of the adventure paths that Paizo have published. Now was my chance to use them. Unfortunately, I'd have to use the Pathfinder rules...

Playing the campaigns (almost) weekly has been a huge boon: we finished the Council of Thieves AP in 14 sessions, and we've almost finished Kingmaker as I write - we've had 17 of that campaign, and it'll probably be over in 20. So, 31 sessions this year (starting in March). It's reminded me of the underlying mathematical problems in 3E which I so hope won't be in D&D Next, but Paizo have managed to do a fairly good job with an unstable base.

The good things about Pathfinder - the wealth of character creation options and some excellent adventures (even if indifferently edited) - have been very good, and the players and I have enjoyed them. So, I'll continue with Pathfinder next year, and we'll go outside the Paizo APs to the Way of the Wicked by Fire Mountain Games; that'll probably run from February next year, assuming the final installment comes out before we start; at the rate we go through APs, I don't want to risk it not being available!

So, that's my 2012 in D&D and a preview of 2013. One thing for sure: there's still a lot of gaming to do! (And I haven't even recounted my adventures with other RPGs in 2012...)

Cheers!

delericho

Legend
Me, I'll be finishing up my current 3e campaign (The Eberron Code), and hopefully starting a new SWSE campaign. I'm also hoping to run a handful of one-shot sessions using various systems.

I don't expect to do any playtesting of 5e. I may well play various games, but have no fixed plans as yet.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Me, I'll be finishing up my current 3e campaign (The Eberron Code), and hopefully starting a new SWSE campaign. I'm also hoping to run a handful of one-shot sessions using various systems.

Good luck!

We've played 10 or so sessions of the new Marvel RPG, which Martin runs on the Fridays I don't run 4E. When that game finishes, he'll probably try something Savage Worldy. :) I really want to run a Call of Cthulhu campaign (and minicampaigns of LotR and Doctor Who), but finding a good time is likely to be hard.

Cheers!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Yes, quite a bit of "D&D".

But don't you anticipate 5E being able to replace all these other systems. :p

And when are you preparing the dissertation report post with the in depth comparisons of the strengths and weaknesses of the various approaches? :angel:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I look forward to it!

Can I ask one little question....are 1E higher level spells casters better balanced then 3E ones? Do to the ways saves, magic resistance, and casting disruption work?

OK, maybe not such a little question...but you must have some thoughts.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I look forward to it!

Can I ask one little question....are 1E higher level spells casters better balanced then 3E ones? Do to the ways saves, magic resistance, and casting disruption work?

OK, maybe not such a little question...but you must have some thoughts.

We don't have any high-level casters yet in my AD&D game; there's a couple of 7th level magic-users, and that's it (one might now be 8th level).

Actually - and this is a key point - this is high-level for AD&D. The game is built around levels 1-9. Above that, things are going to get odd, but we haven't reached there yet.

At 7th level, these spell-casters have a total of ten spells. It isn't very much. As a rule, most of the spell slots are taken up by magic missiles, fireballs and Rary's Mnenomic Enhancer. That last spell? It's a 4th level spell that allows them to prepare 3 more Magic Missiles or 1 more Fireball. :) And fireball is often (in the dungeon environment) not a usable spell: they'll fry themselves!

One of the major things that makes the AD&D magic system work is the very limited spell list. Clerics don't memorize cure light, cure moderate, cure serious, etc. They can't. 2nd and 3rd level spells have NO curing wound spells at all. Cure spells - with long casting times - tend to be cast out of combat.

Save or die spells have primarily been limited to the hold person spells at present; as you might imagine, they have limited use. When they work, they're very good, but as the PCs go up in level, their opponents are more resistant to their spells. In 3E, offense (generally) outstrips defense. 4E is similar. In AD&D, defense vs spells outstrips spell-offence.

Cheers!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I was aware of the last point, but had forgotten the limited # of spells, even at those levels.

As a DM, I don't remember being worried about over powered, say, 6th level AD&D MUs. I do remember being fairly generous with items to deal with limits on spell numbers.

Speaking of which, why haven't they found a wand of magic missiles yet?

the Jester

Legend
Speaking of which, why haven't they found a wand of magic missiles yet?

Remember, in 1e, magic items were rare and special. Many parties never found wands of magic missiles at all, and most campaigns don't allow for magic shopping.

By the same token, low level characters often ended up with high-level items. There was a ring of elemental command in a module designed for level 2-4 pcs, for instance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads