D&D 5E And just like that, no one cares about Frostmaiden any longer

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sounds good to me. I'm slightly mystified as to how they're going to cram all this into 192 pages, I just hope the stuff they do for races isn't just "Oh here we've done this for the PHB races, all the other races can piss off!". I am increasingly thinking that is probably it though. I mean, it's not a disaster if so, but it will be a bit sad because most of the races most in need of the ability to rejig stuff are non-PHB.
On the other hand, given how many PDFs of new and revised races are on DMs Guild already, I think there's going to be something of a land rush with new and updated PDFs when this book comes out.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Out of curiosity since I don't use D&DB --what's the price difference between a whole book a la carte and just purchased as a whole?

Unless I missed it, no one answered this question, so I will: none. Every a la carte purchase one makes in a given “book” is credited toward the purchase price of the book; when you’ve spend enough a la carte, one just spends the difference between that total and the book cost, and get all the rest of the material. I purchased both the Monster Manual and Xanathar’s that way on DDB: purchasing just the monsters, spells, etc. I needed as I needed them, until purchasing the rest of the book was only a couple of dollars—even though there was still a significant amount of a la carte stuff left.

CydKnight

Explorer
I haven't started caring about it yet but not because it isn't any good. I truly don't know. I've been too busy with my other 5E games, and will be for the foreseeable future, to have the time or desire at the moment to review another future title release. That, like everything else, will change though.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
I'm at the point of my financial and hobbyist life where I'll probably buy Rime when it comes out if I can get the alternate cover (didn't pre-order, it'll just be a walk-in thing) but won't read more than the synopsis until I'm planning on running it... Similar to what I did with Strahd years ago (bought it, shelved it, only started reading it recently because I'm running it as a solo campaign).

When I buy Tasha's, I'm probably going to devour it cover-to-cover and talk about it for a few weeks with the other geeks in my game group.

So... Eh.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I wonder if the reprinted bladesinger will drop the "elf-only" requirement? That was always presented as a Forgotten Realms thing, but its the official rule since SCAG is a Forgotten Realms book.

No, when the Bladesinger was orininally introduced as a kit in 2e's The Complete Book of Elves, it was elf-only (and setting agnostic, not Forgotten Realms-specific).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
To be fair, I have both books preordered. RotFM will be the first AP I've bought for 5e. (I'll eventually get around to Tomb of Annihilation, Ghosts of Saltmarch, and Tales of the Yawning Portal at some point, but they are low priority.)

Ashrym

Legend
As an aside, how does everyone feel about reprinting subclasses in this book that appear elsewhere (like bladesinger, eloquence bard, etc)?

Personally, I buy settings for the settings and not the character options. Doesn't bother me.

Reprinting character options in an options book seems fine because those were options from campaign settings books. It's nice to be able to buy the options without the settings. (Although DDB does allow piecemeal purchasing already.)

I think reprinting will help with the 1+1 rule as well.

Remove ads