And the Animation: Greatest TV, Part IV

Richards

Legend
"Daria" was a great show. My boys and I still use quotes from it in everyday life as the opportunity arises.

"The last time I had this dream I was wearing pink taffeta."​
"I'm jiggy with it."​
"Yes, yes, I can do that which you ask. But someday, I too will have a favor to ask. And on that day--" "Forget it."​
"I like having low self-esteem. It makes me feel special."​

Johnathan

Odd that the OP made such a HUGE deal about endings in the Drama thread then includes THE SIMPSONS here, a show that has slowly become a parody of a parody of itself
It was the best show on TV! Twenty-three years ago
It now has three times as many bad episodes as it has good ones. It's no long a good show that became bad, but a bad show that has some good episodes

kc7ngx4rjv261.png

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Odd that the OP made such a HUGE deal about endings in the Drama thread then includes THE SIMPSONS here, a show that has slowly become a parody of a parody of itself
It was the best show on TV! Twenty-three years ago
It now has three times as many bad episodes as it has good ones. It's no long a good show that became bad, but a bad show that has some good episodes

Is it odd? Here's what I wrote-

Arguably one of the greatest TV shows of any kind. When you end up saying things like, "Sure, the FIRST TEN SEASONS WERE AMAZING, but the NEXT TWENTY-TWO were only sporadically great," you know you're discussing one of the greatest shows ever. D'oh!

To make this explicit- if you are saying (as you are, with this chart) that a network show (which usually has 20+ episodes a season, not like the premiere TV we get now) only had ten straight seasons of being one of the greatest shows ever, then what are you really comparing it too?

No other animated show in my top 10, other than South Park, even made it to 10 seasons. Batman: TAS ran the longest, for 85 episodes. The Simpsons exceeded that by the beginning of Season 5 when it was still well within the prime. The "undisputed amazing run" of the Simpsons lasted for for 226 episodes.

Maybe you haven't liked the Simpsons in a while; but without the Simpsons, we wouldn't have any number of other animated shows.

MattW

Explorer
Let's see if I can find some slightly obscure ones that haven't been mentioned already

1. Duck Dodgers in the 24 and 1/2th Century!
(It even has an episode satirising RPGs and the music is excellent)
2. Darkwing Duck (One of the best Batman-inspired series)
3. Dexter's Lab
4. Phineas and Ferb
5. The Angry Beavers
6. Atomic Betty (for Canadians)
7. Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia
8. Teen Titans (the original, NOT the horrid reboot)
9. Kipo and the age of Wonderbeasts
10. Wallace and Gromit's World of Invention
(I think "Claymotion" could be classifed as "animation". If you allow a certain generosity of spirit....)

Ryujin

Legend
Is it odd? Here's what I wrote-

Arguably one of the greatest TV shows of any kind. When you end up saying things like, "Sure, the FIRST TEN SEASONS WERE AMAZING, but the NEXT TWENTY-TWO were only sporadically great," you know you're discussing one of the greatest shows ever. D'oh!

To make this explicit- if you are saying (as you are, with this chart) that a network show (which usually has 20+ episodes a season, not like the premiere TV we get now) only had ten straight seasons of being one of the greatest shows ever, then what are you really comparing it too?

No other animated show in my top 10, other than South Park, even made it to 10 seasons. Batman: TAS ran the longest, for 85 episodes. The Simpsons exceeded that by the beginning of Season 5 when it was still well within the prime. The "undisputed amazing run" of the Simpsons lasted for for 226 episodes.

Maybe you haven't liked the Simpsons in a while; but without the Simpsons, we wouldn't have any number of other animated shows.
"South Park", as Captain Chaos is trying to plan various nefarious deeds; "Simpsons did it!"

Zardnaar

Legend
Currently watching The Simpsons. Up to season 17 (watched season 6-17)

It's still alright mho and getting into some "new" stuff I haven't seen. The last episode I remember seeing on rewatch is where they go to China to adopt a baby for Marge's sister.

I've heard it goes to crap in the 20's.

I didn't watch the first 5 because they were repeated here so often back in the day (daily weekdays on loop essentially).

Remove ads