And the new Catwoman is ...

AFGNCAAP

First Post
My opinion [Dark Knight SPOILERS ahead]

Well, IIRC, Nolan specifically mentioned in an interview that he'd stay away from the more sci-fi villains of Batman's gallery (ala Mr. Freeze, Clayface, & the like)—not sure if the poison-immune Poison Ivy would work in that regard (can't recall where; sorry—I'd provide a link if I could recall the source).

I'm guessing that the Riddler would be the next villain, because:
  • He's one of Batman's big-name villains;
  • He's obviously not a sci-fi based villain;
  • His sort of crime wave would allow Batman to show off his intellect & detective skills (even moreso than in The Dark Knight); and
  • His schtick could easily blend into a bigger theme that is present throughout the movie (ala the "fear" theme of the 1st film and the "choice; good/evil or order/chaos" theme of the 2nd film). Perhaps something like power & responsibility (Batman using his talents for good, while Riddler uses his talents for crime), the thrill of the challenge, identity (Batman trying to deduce Riddler's identity while the police are trying to deduce his), or the like.

The last point could easily apply to Catwoman as well. Then again, I could be way off-base with this (I was with Dark Knight—I thought the big theme of that was going to be sanity, given the 2 villains involved).

I have strong doubts about Penguin (he seems like he'd be a background character criminal in Nolan's style of films, like the Chechen or Sal Maroni in The Dark Knight). Maybe Black Mask (who Nolan has hinted at before). Talia al Ghul could be a possibility, and it'd tie it to the first movie as well. Deadshot (as an assassin) or Firefly (as an arsonist) may be a possibility as well. Catman, Killer Moth, and other anti-Batman sorts seem a bit unlikely.

Staffan

Legend
Well, IIRC, Nolan specifically mentioned in an interview that he'd stay away from the more sci-fi villains of Batman's gallery (ala Mr. Freeze, Clayface, & the like)—not sure if the poison-immune Poison Ivy would work in that regard (can't recall where; sorry—I'd provide a link if I could recall the source).
Poison Ivy the eco-terrorist could work. Poison Ivy who controls plants, is immune to poison, and has a poisonous kiss - not so much.

Orius

Legend
For one, Catwoman doesn't have those "purrfect" affectations that Julie Newmar, Lee Merriweather and Eartha Kitt brought to the TV show. Catwoman is simply the best thief in the world. I can totally see her as someone who can go against Batman toe-to-toe, and Nolan could give us an amazing rooftop chase between Batman and Catwoman. She could even steal some of Batman's equipment and personalize for herself. And when Batman needs something acquired to use against the movie's main villain, he has to turn to Selina for help (remember, he's also an outlaw now).

I'll have to concur. Catwoman has got to be popular enough to be considered for an upcoming movie, and a Riddler/Catwoman mix in the next movie could be pretty interesting, I think. Just because the TV series got silly at times (most of those times :p), and Catowman's movie appearances haven't been thhat great, doesn't mean Nolan can't pull it off.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'll have to concur. Catwoman has got to be popular enough to be considered for an upcoming movie, and a Riddler/Catwoman mix in the next movie could be pretty interesting, I think. Just because the TV series got silly at times (most of those times :p), and Catowman's movie appearances haven't been thhat great, doesn't mean Nolan can't pull it off.

The only Batman TV series in my reality was the 1990s cartoon series, so there is at least there was one good/serious take on the catwoman having existed outside of the comic books.

Klaus

First Post
The only Batman TV series in my reality was the 1990s cartoon series, so there is at least there was one good/serious take on the catwoman having existed outside of the comic books.
Indeed.

And I think Catwoman is strong enough as a character to carry a heist movie, akin to "Ocean's Eleven" (something she did in the comics, in the graphic novel "Selina's Big Score").

Tilenas

Explorer
Well, people at least seem to agree that everything points at a female villain, be it Catwoman as a master-thief or Poison Ivy as an eco-terrorist. I'm not so familiar with the comics, but maybe there are other lady criminals that could fit into this realistic and gritty Batman universe Nolan gives us.

The problem I have with Catwoman is that she isn't a villain that can pose a big threat, as she is not *evil* in the way other villains are. If she is laid out to be Batman's rival in a sense, she can play the part as secondary villain. Same again for The Riddler. I see them even as potential allies of Batman, but the movie needs to have someone who is at least as mean as the joker (it's pretty much an unwritten law in Hollywood that the threats have to get bigger with every subsequent movie).
So if Poison Ivy is on a quest to rid the planet from mankind, it is kind of the epic thing I'm talking about. Problem is that Ra's al Ghul tried a similar thing in Batman Begins, so I doubt we'll see her in that role.
This leaves us with a bunch of options for the big baddy, but I'm sure neither The Riddler nor Catwoman will be it.

Klaus

First Post
Women-wise, Batman has faced:

Catwoman
Poison Ivy
Talia Al Ghul
Nyssa Al Ghul
Ventriloguist II
Queen of Hearts
She-Bat (Francine Langstrom, wife of Man-Bat)
Orca

From the above list, Talia Al'Ghul could be a good villain, specially if she takes over the League of Shadows that her father used to lead. Plus, after the current movie, Batman could be so close to corruption that she might make a move to get him to join the League.

And what if Catwoman eventually joins Batman against Talia?

Remove ads