And the new Catwoman is ...

Trickstergod

First Post
From the above list, Talia Al'Ghul could be a good villain, specially if she takes over the League of Shadows that her father used to lead. Plus, after the current movie, Batman could be so close to corruption that she might make a move to get him to join the League.

Talia would only think this if she were a complete and utter twit, considering how well it worked for her father. Particularly since Batman's not any closer to corruption than, well, he ever really has been.
First she'd have to actually believe he killed anyone - a bit of investigation would likely show a few...inconsistencies...with trying to tie Batman to the murders.

Klaus

First Post
Talia would only think this if she were a complete and utter twit, considering how well it worked for her father. Particularly since Batman's not any closer to corruption than, well, he ever really has been.
First she'd have to actually believe he killed anyone - a bit of investigation would likely show a few...inconsistencies...with trying to tie Batman to the murders.
BUT... after the loss of Rachel and the fall of Harvey, and after the pressure of being seen as the bad guy, someone not overtly "mwahaha"-evil like Talia could get closer to Bruce and slowly erode his determination. She could have a shot at succeeding that her father never had.

Whitemouse

Banned
Banned
Women-wise, Batman has faced:

Catwoman
Poison Ivy
Talia Al Ghul
Nyssa Al Ghul
Ventriloguist II
Queen of Hearts
She-Bat (Francine Langstrom, wife of Man-Bat)
Orca

I recognize the Top 3 on theat list but the bottom four have me totally confused.

Although I think I remember Queen of Hearts. Wasn't she a member of the Royal Flush gang? And who is Nyssa Al Ghu and how is he/she related to the other two?

And who is this Orca person? :confused:

Klaus

First Post
I recognize the Top 3 on theat list but the bottom four have me totally confused.

Although I think I remember Queen of Hearts. Wasn't she a member of the Royal Flush gang? And who is Nyssa Al Ghu and how is he/she related to the other two?

And who is this Orca person? :confused:
Nyssa Al Ghul is one of the many elder siblings of Talia. By "elder" I mean "easily two hundred years old, but looks 20".

Queen of Hearts was a really minor villain who took people's hearts. Batman tracked her down to Brazil. Eminently forgettable.

Ventriloquist II is a hot babe who took over that gangster puppet Scarface after the death of the first Ventriloquist. She dresses like a gun moll.

Orca is a female scientist who suffered some sort of accident and looks like a humanoid... you guessed it!

Nyssa Al Ghul is one of the many elder siblings of Talia. By "elder" I mean "easily two hundred years old, but looks 20".

Queen of Hearts was a really minor villain who took people's hearts. Batman tracked her down to Brazil. Eminently forgettable.

Ventriloquist II is a hot babe who took over that gangster puppet Scarface after the death of the first Ventriloquist. She dresses like a gun moll.

Orca is a female scientist who suffered some sort of accident and looks like a humanoid... you guessed it!

And this proves something I've maintained for a while.

Batman has some cool villains.

Comic books have some cool female villains.

The two groups almost never overlap. :erm:

Trickstergod

First Post
BUT... after the loss of Rachel and the fall of Harvey, and after the pressure of being seen as the bad guy, someone not overtly "mwahaha"-evil like Talia could get closer to Bruce and slowly erode his determination. She could have a shot at succeeding that her father never had.

Ra's wasn't exactly overtly "mwahaha"-evil like, either.

Mouseferatu said:
And this proves something I've maintained for a while.

Batman has some cool villains.

Comic books have some cool female villains.

The two groups almost never overlap. :erm:

This isn't entirely true.

Nyssa, for example, is just fine. The new Ventriloquist is no more or less ridiculous than the original one.

Then there's Talia, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman, all of whom are respectable enough. Harley's not too bad, either.

Bats' male villains are often just as ridiculous as his female ones - to every Orca there's a Great White, for everyone like the Joker there's someone like Tweedledee and Tweedledum.

Klaus

First Post
Ra's wasn't exactly overtly "mwahaha"-evil like, either.

This isn't entirely true.

Nyssa, for example, is just fine. The new Ventriloquist is no more or less ridiculous than the original one.

Then there's Talia, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman, all of whom are respectable enough. Harley's not too bad, either.

Bats' male villains are often just as ridiculous as his female ones - to every Orca there's a Great White, for everyone like the Joker there's someone like Tweedledee and Tweedledum.
Ra's wasn't "mwahaha", but he was "kill this man to join me". That was a bit on the nose, wasn't it?

Now Talia could ease her way into Bruce's grieving heart (maybe with evidence that Rachel intended to marry Harvey?), to weaken his resolve, or rather, to steel his resolve in the wrong direction.

Whitemouse

Banned
Banned

I take it all of these women were in Batman comics? I watched nearly every episode of the orginal animated series and I have no recollection of these.

Pbartender

First Post
This leaves us with a bunch of options for the big baddy, but I'm sure neither The Riddler nor Catwoman will be it.

I don't know... Considering how they portrayed the Joker, I could see the Riddler being turned into a modern day version of Jack the Ripper.

Murders with a pattern, with little clues and notes being left behind that point to the next victim in a very obscure way. And, of course, the twist is that the string of murders and clues is just a smoke screen to focus the attention of the police and Batman away from a larger and more important crime or power grab that's taking place behind the scenes.

Meanwhile, someone like Talia, as Klaus suggests, is tempting Batman with the means to stop villains like Joker and the Riddler and Two-Face (I'd also be surprised if he doesn't show up) and keep them out of Gotham for good, but only by embracing the sort of tactics that he has up until this point renounced. With all the badness that happened to him in the previous movie, he'd be particularly vulnerable to it, and it'd certainly make for a dramatic internal struggle on-screen.

Nyssa, for example, is just fine.

Nah. I'm tired of "Ra's al Ghul and His Whacky Kids." He was a cool villain. Everything that's been related to him has been problematic, IMO.

The new Ventriloquist is no more or less ridiculous than the original one.

One could argue that that's not saying much. ;)

See, I disagree with your basic premise here.

Talia was never a good villain. She's the perfect example of comic books getting everything wrong when trying to be PC. "Oh, look, here's this strong female character! Never mind that she's stereotypically torn between love for two men, and that those men are her only motivations for doing anything, ever." Yeah, that's enlightened.

Poison Ivy? She's a one-gimmick villain. She can be cool, but she's misused as often as she's used right. And certainly she wouldn't transition well to the more realistic tone of the movies.

Catwoman's not a villain. She's a rival, or a secondary villain at best. She's neither as interesting nor as menacing as any of Batman's "first tier" villains. And she, too, falls back too often on the "female villain falls for the main hero" cliche.

Harley's a sidekick. She doesn't work without the Joker, and frankly, she's a little too silly for my tastes. She's like the old Joker--goofy without sufficient menace. Plus, again, she's 100% defined by another character; she only does what she does, and is what she is, due to her infatuation with "Mr. J."

Oh, there are plenty of goofy male Batman villains. But there aren't any cool/menacing/dangerous female villains to make up for the goofy females, while there are plenty of cool/menacing/dangerous male villains.

Last edited:

Remove ads