And then there were 8! On Chris Sims and Jennifer Clarke Wilkes' Layoffs...

I've seen quite a few people speculating that Chris Sims and Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes may not have been made redundant, but possibly fired for various reasons, or because contracts ended (given that Jennifer has been at WoTC for about 15 years, that latter guess was always going to be very unlikely!). For that reason, I feel it's a good idea to set things straight and find out exactly what happened; I'm sure neither want rumours like that to start! The short version: yep, they were lay-offs.

Chris Sims kindly shared with me that "Jennifer Clarke Wilkes and I were laid off on Wednesday the 28th. Our positions were eliminated, reducing the D&D team to eight people working directly on the tabletop game."

Hopefully that will put some speculation to rest! Here's the original article, for context.

Who makes up the 8 still working on the RPG? Mike Mearls, Rodney Thompson, Jeremy Crawford, Greg Bilsland, Chris Perkins, Peter Lee, Matt Sernett, Adam Lee.

The 8 does not include art or brand staff, including community manager Trevor Kidd, brand/marketing managers, Organized Play program managers and the like, which brings the number up to about 13.

As an interesting point of comparison, Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens kindly shared that "We don't have any part time employees. The 25 full-time were folks that worked directly on Pathfinder products in design, development, editing and art. Currently, we are pushing 60 employees in the company and growing. In the next few months, we will be hiring more editors and developers to support Pathfinder. 2014 was our best year ever in both sales and profits. Still going up!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Gecko85

Explorer
Thanks for the update. I thought it was clear from Chris' Twitter posts that it was a layoff, but at least now we know it was an elimination of positions.

pming

Legend
Eight?! Crikey...I've had *gaming groups* larger than that! Currently, if everyone could make every session, I'd have 6, plus me, so 7 at the table. I could add another 3 if I wanted too...but 6 is my absolute limit nowadays.

Oh well...I prefer quality over quantity anyway. :) Hopefully the remaining 8 will not disappoint.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Sacrosanct

Legend
Keep in mind 8 really isn't that small of a number for a full time job working the number of products WoTC said they were working on. All of the art is through freelances, right? Along with probably a lot of other things (writing, printing, manufacturing, etc). In this type of industry, you can hire out pretty every role as needed, and only need a core team to manage things. It also keeps costs way down.

Paraxis

Explorer
The fact it is down to eight made me think of those Twitch streams we are seeing most of the crew. I went back and watched the Jan 7th broadcast, Chris Sims played a halfling monk named "Cricket". The guy seemed like a good guy, sorry about his lay off.

http://www.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/v/3668969

The broadcast on the 21st, it was down to 3 players with Chris noticeably gone by then.

Good luck to both Chris and Jennifer in all future endeavours.

Agglomérante

First Post
What on earth is going on?!?

It doesn't making sense. After the blockbuster release of the PHB you'd think Wizards would be growing, not shrinking. Is Hasbro not investing Wizards' sales profits back into Wizards? It feels like D&D is being ripped off. Do we need to pull a Michael Moore and get shares in Hasbro and make some noise at the annual shareholders' meeting?

Last edited by a moderator:

augustgrace

First Post
They were crawling to the finish line with the core books, reported success far beyond what was anticipated, and now their cutting more people from an already skeleton crew?! 4e definitely wasn't my favorite edition, but I'm getting nostalgic for the 4e release, when wotc's overlords actually supported their product. I really don't understand their strategy, and honestly it sounds like folks at Paizo have nothing to fear. Even 13th Age, a product that at its conception was going to be a one off published by a small company, has a more aggressive publishing plan. Hell, Monte has taken a handful of good folks and is slowly creating an empire that will likely quickly outpace 5e.

R

RevTurkey

I like D&D 5th Edition, it is a good game and is all you need for years of play...but I do get the feeling that WotC's plan is to now move the focus towards using the brand heavily in other areas rather than roleplaying. Maybe they actually have some super cool stuff on the horizon that they haven't shared but Tyranny of Dragons left me cold, I thought it was poor and the Elemental Evil thing doesn't sit right with me either...I am not interested in the product bible..cross market blah blah blah commercial squeezerama road that they seem to be following. It seems like a cheap way to leverage the Dungeons and Dragons name and history. That said...they have given us a very nice game. I hope they give it some oxygen rathr than just use it's title to sell other stuff.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases