And then there were 8! On Chris Sims and Jennifer Clarke Wilkes' Layoffs...

I've seen quite a few people speculating that Chris Sims and Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes may not have been made redundant, but possibly fired for various reasons, or because contracts ended (given that Jennifer has been at WoTC for about 15 years, that latter guess was always going to be very unlikely!). For that reason, I feel it's a good idea to set things straight and find out exactly what happened; I'm sure neither want rumours like that to start! The short version: yep, they were lay-offs.

I've seen quite a few people speculating that Chris Sims and Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes may not have been made redundant, but possibly fired for various reasons, or because contracts ended (given that Jennifer has been at WoTC for about 15 years, that latter guess was always going to be very unlikely!). For that reason, I feel it's a good idea to set things straight and find out exactly what happened; I'm sure neither want rumours like that to start! The short version: yep, they were lay-offs.

Chris Sims kindly shared with me that "Jennifer Clarke Wilkes and I were laid off on Wednesday the 28th. Our positions were eliminated, reducing the D&D team to eight people working directly on the tabletop game."

Hopefully that will put some speculation to rest! Here's the original article, for context.

Who makes up the 8 still working on the RPG? Mike Mearls, Rodney Thompson, Jeremy Crawford, Greg Bilsland, Chris Perkins, Peter Lee, Matt Sernett, Adam Lee.

The 8 does not include art or brand staff, including community manager Trevor Kidd, brand/marketing managers, Organized Play program managers and the like, which brings the number up to about 13.

As an interesting point of comparison, Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens kindly shared that "We don't have any part time employees. The 25 full-time were folks that worked directly on Pathfinder products in design, development, editing and art. Currently, we are pushing 60 employees in the company and growing. In the next few months, we will be hiring more editors and developers to support Pathfinder. 2014 was our best year ever in both sales and profits. Still going up!"

bmfrosty

Explorer
What on earth is going on?!?

It doesn't making sense. After the blockbuster release of the PHB you'd think Wizards would be growing, not shrinking. Is Hasbro not investing Wizards' sales profits back into Wizards? It feels like D&D is being ripped off.

This makes perfect sense. That team is controlling direction, quality control, and final editing. Everything else is done freelance. Whether by contract work or freelance submission. Other than the core books, are they developing anything in-house?

Slayyne

First Post
8 vs. 60? Wow, what does that say about the future for WOTC? Perhaps the best thing they could do would be to release the OGL pronto so other folks can start supporting it.

Slayyne

First Post
I hope they can pull it together. I know I absolutely love 5e. I didn't have near this much fun playing Pathfinder, although I'm not saying it is a bad game. Fifth edition flows well; therefore, I really hope they see a huge amount of success without and are able to put more resources toward it.

guachi

Hero
I think those of us who love D&D will have to rely on old, converted material to keep us going. It looks like WotC is doing just enough to keep D&D off of life support but not much more.

Really glad that dndclassics.com has about 1/2 of the product out there. Between that and ebay I have more than enough stuff to last me. New stuff specifically for 5e would be nice, though. On the up side, knowing WotC won't be coming out with anything much means that it's fairly safe to buy 3rd party material!

Derren

Hero
They were crawling to the finish line with the core books, reported success far beyond what was anticipated, and now their cutting more people from an already skeleton crew?!

Keep in mind that "success far beyond what was anticipated" can at this point also mean "The token tabletop we have to support our novel line has even managed to make a profit".

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
Man that's just awful. Awful for the game getting less content and of course awful for the designers losing their jobs and possibly having to relocate.

I really want more 5E stuff. Hopefully we'll see those two on Kickstarter producing some sort of off-brand Advanced Players Guide or additional monster manual or modules...or something. Demand is obviously very high for more products and WOTC isn't delivering much.

Farland

Explorer
I feel terrible for the folks laid off but I have to tell you the fact that they aren't planning to crap out splat books makes me happy. We need more adventures and settings. We don't need more classes, spells, items, etc. It is that kind of power creep that always ruins the edition.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Keep in mind that "success far beyond what was anticipated" can at this point also mean "The token tabletop we have to support our novel line has even managed to make a profit".

What novel line would that be? At present, there are only three authors contracted out for future novels (all FR), and the novel line has dramatically shrunk in the past few years (with several cancelled, and others going e-book only).

Additionally, per Elaine Cunningham, WotC no longer has any in-house fiction editors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads