Androids and PSI.

Devilbass

Explorer
I love what I've been reading about WOIN so far, especially NEW. I was glad to see all of the sci-fi franchises and authors referenced, and all of the nods to them through throughout the rules. When I got to the android entry, I thought given all the inspirational sci-fi material cited, it was strange that androids can't raise PSI above 0. I understand why that makes sense to most, but for those who read much Asimov, it may be a letdown.

For those unfamiliar, in Asimov's robot series and foundation series, it is actually in artificial life that quasi-psionic abilities originate. I know that as GM I could easily change this for my own games, but maybe their could be an exploit or career open to androids that allows the use of PSI? Seems a fitting thing to be official given sci-fi tradition.

Love the game, excited to get the core rules when available!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My suggestion would be to create a new android species, different to the one in the book. I did actually think at some point I might create a whole range of android character species, all different to each other. It's certainly the sort of thing I'm looking forward to doing once I've finished all this core stuff (which is all admin and proofreading and stuff now, not fun design stuff!)

The android species in the book was inspired mainly, I think, by Star Wars droids and Data. But you're right, there's certainly far, far more to androids in fiction, and creating more of them is definitely one of the fun things in my future (unless some third party beats me to it!)

Devilbass

Explorer
I kinda figured the inspiration was more Star Trek/Wars, and I'm glad it's there. Maybe I'll get to work on some ideas of my own. Definitely lots of room for different android types. Again, love the system Morrus!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thank you! :)

You'll pleased to hear that Future Core is in layout right now. That's the big "core rules" section of the NEW rule book. Like the others, it'll be a separate softcover too. After than, it's Building A Universe (all the GM tools and advice), and then they all get compiled together into the hardcover.

Remove ads