D&D General (Anecdotal) conversations with Asian gamers on some problems they currently face in the D&D world of RPG gaming

KentDT

Explorer
So the panel on using Asian cultures in D&D game design included; Daniel Kwan, Steve Huynh, Ammar Ijaz, Pam Punzalan, and Ahmed Aljabry.
hmm . . . So, there were no Japanese cultural representatives there. Seems rather non-inclusive, perhaps even discriminatory to me.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
So the panel on using Asian cultures in D&D game design included; Daniel Kwan, Steve Huynh, Ammar Ijaz, Pam Punzalan, and Ahmed Aljabry.
hmm . . . So, there were no Japanese cultural representatives there. Seems rather non-inclusive, perhaps even discriminatory to me.

Yes, because Japanese culture has had such a difficult time finding representation in Western media. :uhoh: It's not like these other cultures have been historically under represented. Totally discriminatory. :face palm:

KentDT

Explorer
Yes, because Japanese culture has had such a difficult time finding representation in Western media. :uhoh: It's not like these other cultures have been historically under represented. Totally discriminatory. :face palm:
The same can be said of Middle Eastern culture, which still has two representatives on that panel. Middle Eastern culture also has quite a bit of representation in D&D and fantasy role-playing (seeing as how this is an RPG forum, I don't really care about "Western" media in totality, although I feel that the argument could probably be made for ample representation of Middle Eastern culture there as well). I understand that a lot of that representation in RPGs is seen as problematic (both Japanese and Middle Eastern) but if diversity and inclusiveness is going to be the top priority, then let's try for more, not less.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Weren't there things OA, for example, trivialized about Japanese history and culture too?

In defending the panel, I'd add that there are a lot of sizable ethnicities in Asia and panels only contain a handful of people (unlike, say, lists of those who contribute to books could).

Last edited:

KentDT

Explorer
Weren't there things OA, for example, trivialized about Japanese history and culture too?

In defending the panel, I might also argue that there are a lot of sizable ethnicities in Asia and panels only contain a handful of people (unlike, say, lists of those who contribute to books).
Both true and good points.
I just kind of get the feeling that one of the things that Daniel Kwan et. al. were angry about was the focus on Japanese culture to the relative exclusion of others. I get the limitation on panel members but I would've liked to have heard the opinions of at least one authentic Japanese voice. Again, I'd like more actual diversity (in ethnicity, culture and especially opinion), not less.

Disney's Aladdin TV show is a fabulous example of how a title based in Middle-Orient culture can be produced. This should be a good source of inspiration for al-Qadim.

I agree an Asian-theme setting is possible, but it hasn't to be the return of Kara-Tur but I guess it may be a new plane of Magic: the Gathering more open to new different stories what Kamigawa. But we will not see a "wuxia" D&D without previous playtesting of UA articles. I have said some times in the past Kara-Tur should be the place for the martial adept classes in the same way than psionic in Dark Sun.

If there is a return of Spelljammer we should see some future UA about ships and naval battles. A vehicle with catapults and giant crossbows would need playtesting about the right power balance to fight against giant monsters, for example Moby Dick's cousin.

* I wonder about Dragonlance as the second "guest artist" in Magic: the Gathering after Forgotten Realms. To watch a CGI trailer with the heroes of the lance would be fabulous. What if the secret Raistlin's daughter was a planewalker, with her own adventures in an alternate Krynn?

G

Guest 6801328

Attempts to resolve these problems of cultural discrimination are going to be messy and imperfect, and which aspects of the problem get addressed in what order is going to be contentious and fraught with contradiction and paradox. Lots of mistakes are going to be made along the way.

What I find disgusting and weak is the argument that because it's going to be so hard, we shouldn't do anything.

Or, worse, that we should do only things that have no possibility of inconveniencing the people who aren't currently on the receiving end of the discrimination.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I just kind of get the feeling that one of the things that Daniel Kwan et. al. were angry about was the focus on Japanese culture to the relative exclusion of others. I get the limitation on panel members but I would've liked to have heard the opinions of at least one authentic Japanese voice. Again, I'd like more actual diversity (in ethnicity, culture and especially opinion), not less.
Their regular show has a Japanese guest who's fairly regular. I don't remember how many times she was on the OA stuff, but she's been on their readthrough of L5R (which lead to an amazing side-tangent on horses in fantasy culture building)

Hussar

Legend
The same can be said of Middle Eastern culture, which still has two representatives on that panel. Middle Eastern culture also has quite a bit of representation in D&D and fantasy role-playing (seeing as how this is an RPG forum, I don't really care about "Western" media in totality, although I feel that the argument could probably be made for ample representation of Middle Eastern culture there as well). I understand that a lot of that representation in RPGs is seen as problematic (both Japanese and Middle Eastern) but if diversity and inclusiveness is going to be the top priority, then let's try for more, not less.

Pardon my ignorance, but, what Middle Eastern cultural representation do we have in D&D? A couple of monsters in the Monster Manual I suppose - genies, for example. Couple of the magic items - flying carpet, ring of wishes. That's about it.

And, again, remember, this is a panel. Which means that you get what you get. There are any number of reasons they didn't have a Japanese person on the panel - and again, there is a TON of Japanese representation in D&D and always have been - classes, monsters, weapons, art, etc - which don't have anything to do with excluding anyone.

Hussar

Legend

In defending the panel, I'd add that there are a lot of sizable ethnicities in Asia and panels only contain a handful of people (unlike, say, lists of those who contribute to books could).

Wait, what? OA trivialized every other culture in East Asia in favor of promoting the idea that Japanese culture was the only interesting culture out there. Good grief they actually USE Japanese language in the books. What are you talking about?

Remove ads