Animal Companion

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Lord Pendragon said:
The spell could be used on an Animal Companion, but by becoming a magical beast, the effects of the Animal Friendship spell would immediately be broken...

It specifically states that once you cast Animal Friendship, the relationship is permanent and natural (nonmagical). So yes, you could turn them into Magical Beasts without affecting their friendship. You would just have to befriend them while they were still animals.

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
I like the Polar Bear.

For higher survivability, it should be celestial, if that's allowed for you. I would thin that would mean 10HD because of the +2 CR for the Celestial Template, but you get some great survivability boosts - fire/cold/electricity resistances, and DR of 5/+2 plus SR 20.

Even better if you can convince your DM to let you have it at 12 HD, but that's asking an awful lot - plus it's not an animal with the template applied.

I think a Polar Bear can go almost anywhere (5' wide, 10' long), and with a Swim Speed of 30' - you could even ride it in the water - and I presume it could rescue you underwater (should that prove to be needed) using its Improved Grab!

RogueJK

Artoomis said:
I like the Polar Bear.

For higher survivability, it should be celestial, if that's allowed for you. I would thin that would mean 10HD because of the +2 CR for the Celestial Template, but you get some great survivability boosts - fire/cold/electricity resistances, and DR of 5/+2 plus SR 20.

Even better if you can convince your DM to let you have it at 12 HD, but that's asking an awful lot - plus it's not an animal with the template applied.

I think a Polar Bear can go almost anywhere (5' wide, 10' long), and with a Swim Speed of 30' - you could even ride it in the water - and I presume it could rescue you underwater (should that prove to be needed) using its Improved Grab!

I'm going for a Celestial Dire Bear. Befriend a 12 HD Dire Bear and use the Planar Familiar spell from the WotC site to make it Celestial. Acid, Cold, and Electricity resistance 20, DR 10/+3, Smite Evil, and Darkvision. Also, a +1 to Intelligence, which allows it to speak a language. Not bad for 500 xp. :D

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
RogueJK said:

It specifically states that once you cast Animal Friendship, the relationship is permanent and natural (nonmagical). So yes, you could turn them into Magical Beasts without affecting their friendship. You would just have to befriend them while they were still animals.

You're right, RogueJK, good call.

There is precedent in "breaking" the relationship established by Animal Friendship. For instance, a 12th-level druid befriending the dire bear, then casting awaken on it, would then exceed their HD limit. At that point, I'd rule that the animal wanders away, having other things on its mind.

However, that point isn't really pertinent to the discussion because I'm not sure that's an official rule, and even if it were, I don't believe the Celestial and Fiendish templates add HD to the creature involved.

Of course, a druid doesn't have access to Planar Familiar since it's a cleric only spell. But if you were a cleric with the Animal domain, I suppose your companion just got a whole lot nastier. :)

Corwin

Explorer
Lord Pendragon said:

There is precedent in "breaking" the relationship established by Animal Friendship. For instance, a 12th-level druid befriending the dire bear, then casting awaken on it, would then exceed their HD limit. At that point, I'd rule that the animal wanders away, having other things on its mind.

You could do it that way, I suppose. But like you said, there is no official ruling on the matter.

What happens if the druid casts animal growth on it instead? Does that instantly break the bond? After all, the animal now has more HD than the druid can control.

I can see the look on the druid's face when he goes to pump up his impressive dire bear for battle, only to have it shrug and stroll off into the forest. Hehe.

Seriously though, I think there is a lot of murky water here. Tread carefully.

RogueJK

Lord Pendragon said:
But if you were a cleric with the Animal domain, I suppose your companion just got a whole lot nastier. :)

Or a Cleric with a Ring of Animal Friendship. ;)

[evil laugh] Mwahahahahaha [/evil laugh]

Better than Leadership, and only $9500. And it doesn't even cost a feat.

I was gonna get it just for the Dire Bear (or Ape or Lion) until I found that tasty little spell on the Wizards website. I'd sure like to know what WotC was smoking when they came up with Planar Familiar, and possibly where I could get some for a reasonable price.

But, hey... I'm not complaining. :D

Artoomis

First Post
RogueJK said:

Or a Cleric with a Ring of Animal Friendship. ;)

[evil laugh] Mwahahahahaha [/evil laugh]

Better than Leadership, and only $9500. And it doesn't even cost a feat.

I was gonna get it just for the Dire Bear (or Ape or Lion) until I found that tasty little spell on the Wizards website. I'd sure like to know what WotC was smoking when they came up with Planar Familiar, and possibly where I could get some for a reasonable price.

But, hey... I'm not complaining. :D

I think you'll find planar familair was written up before DotF was finalized, and it didn't make the cut. Instead, rules on unusual paladin mounts made it into DotF and Improved Familiars made it into T&B.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Morose

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:

Acutally this exact case is spoken to in MotW and says that the Awakened animal DOES NOT just wander off. Page 37 under Awakened Animals.

Also of note is the Tamer of Beasts who gains the special ability to grant their pets extra intelligence and changes their type into Magical Beast. It makes no mention of this breaking the companionship.

Corwin

Explorer
Good deal. I like that they went into that sort of thing.

I can't wait to pick up MotW this weekend. Sounds like its chock full 0' wholesome goodness.

Remove ads