D&D 5E Animal Handling in 5e

In all seriousness, I tell them to be a Ranger.

Animals in combat is a class feature, just like casting spells or entering rage or inspiring someone. If you want the feature then take the class.

I know it is a bit mean but it keeps things simple. I don't have to worry about how to make beast companions (and maybe familiars) somehow "better" than any animal that any character can purchase. I also don't have to worry about a player of a Ranger feeling upset because someone stole a bit of their limelight simply by buying an animal.

I want to buy a mastiff have it trained to attack on command. NOPE, you want a pet you should have played a ranger.....

So does that mean...

I want to buy some healing pots for my next adventure. NOPE, you want to have healing you should have been a cleric......

And....

I want to hire a local performer to entertain the tavern so everyone is distracted while I rob them. Nope, you want to entertain you should have been a bard....

You get the point. A beastmaster ranger has a pet far superior to any pet another player may buy and train, just like a clerics healing will be superior to the purchase of some potions. Saying no because you dont want the complexity is one thing, it might be lazy, but hey your the DM and obviously player wishes are inferior to your wishes. Trying to say you are saying no because it might outshine the party Ranger is a false argument and very weak.

whooplaah1

First Post
There is a feat that allows players to do this, and a class feature that allows them to do this. If they don't have the feat or feature, then they can't do this.

Essentially, buying animals and mounts is fine and RAW and RAI. Characters can have a pack of attack dogs. However, in an encounter those creatures are NPC's and usually end up in the "if attacked, they defend themselves or run" category rather than as contributing combatants.

For Beast Master Rangers and anyone who takes the Animal Handler feat (from Unearthed Arcana) they can utilize the creatures. RAW says that as an action or bonus action they can command the creature to attack/move when it is the creature's turn.

The feat allows anyone to emulate a Beast Master, except that they are limited by what animals they can tame/acquire.

As far as training is concerned, keeping a list of tricks is a needless tedium. What constitutes a trick? Does a particular action fall within the definition of the trick? How many tricks can the animal learn, and how long does each take to master? Don't worry about all that. If the animal is tamed, and if a character has the feat/feature, then the action happens as best the creature can manage using the actions available on its turn.

Remove ads