D&D General Animal PCs?

ccs

41st lv DM
They had rules for it in 2nd edition via dragon magazine.

Was not aware of that as I had very few Dragon issues of the 2e era.

So I will amend my answer concerning 2e:
If I were unaware of the issue? Then I'd make stuff up.
If I were aware? Then I'd give it a look. Maybe I'd use it, maybe I'd mod it, or maybe I'd be making it up anyways as Dragon content isn't exactly the gold standard....

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Currently playing in a pathfinder game where one of the Party is a Goat that was Awakened and then gained levels in Bard. Ramuel L Jackson is an important part of our team.

So, in general, I would assume an animal used as a PC would be Awakened.
So, it has Human level Intelligence and can speak at least one language (if you don't take Common you're being deliberately difficult)
Basically any CR 1 or lower Animal would be acceptable IMO. At level 3 a Moon Druid is gonna spend every combat as a CR 1 monster anyway so it's not to broken.
The main drawback, balancing the things like multi-attack, is that they can't use a lot of magic items.
It depends on the base animal, but mostly it's determining what types of magic item they CAN use. Also keeping in mind that any Large or larger animal probably isn't conducive to many games. Hard to fit an Elephant, no matter how well spoken, inside a dungeon hallway or a castle.

jgsugden

Legend
I played an awakened wolf monk once upon a time for a short bit. Essentially, a kobold that traded off 40' speed for not having hands and a meaningless bite attack. It was fun.

Weiley31

Legend
Well for 5E ya have a couple of options.

For Dogs and Cats: Dungeons and Doggies and Cats and Catecombs. Both are part of the Animal Adventures series. You can pretty much use the dog rules and make a Wolf ala Great Wolf Sif. Love the idea of a Grey Wolf Rune Knight though.

Then you have Humblewood: there you have rules for birdfolk and Humblefolk(forest critters basically.)
The Birdfolks can be reflavored to various bird breeds such as Canadian Geese(so Canadian Goose Monk FTW) and the Humblefolk cover foxes, racoons, mice, deer, hedgehogs and stuff. You can reflavor the Humblefolk too. So you can reflavor the mice as Chinchillas for example or the deer like Cervans into Goats.

Fanaelialae

Legend
If I were running an all animal campaign, I would impose the limitations that you'd expect for an animal. I've never run this kind of campaign myself, but a friend has mentioned that he has an idea for one that he'd like to try someday.

If the animal is an awakened PC amongst a more standard party, then I'm liable to be far more generous, allowing them to wield weapons along the lines of Sif from Dark Souls or Koromaru from Persona 3. Effectively, they can do a lot of the things a human could do with one hand; albeit fine manipulation would be at disadvantage. As I see it, an intelligent animal with a class would have found ways to adapt to a humanoid-centric world.

I've actually had a player who ran an awakened cheetah monk all the way up to 19th level. He was an effective and fun character. The player often played up his cat-like personality, and the character was intensely curious and prone to getting distracted by small moving things. In combat he excelled at getting to the back line and wrecking the enemy squishies.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That depends on exactly what you want out of it. What kind of animals? And are the species just the race, or do you want an entirely new badger class?

As an example, let's say a player is inspired by Sif of Dark Souls. They want to be a wolf with a sword in its mouth. I'm going to assume magic is involved in some way and give the wolf higher intelligence and the ability to speak languages. I'll allow them to wield a weapon, even a two-handed one since wolves are medium sized, in their mouth.

Stat wise we can do a +2 Dex, and a +1 to whatever is appropriate based on the backstory. Maybe they don't care, and we can just do +1 to Str. We'll give them a bite as a natural weapon, and a once per encounter save against prone. Keen Hearing and Smell, Pack Tactics, 13 AC from natural armor and choice between perception and stealth proficiency. We can talk briefly so between us we understand the various advantages and disadvantages that come from being a quadruped and how NPCs will generally react to a talking wolf strolling into town.

Is this totally balanced? I don't know. I think it's neither too powerful or too weak, which is all I'm worried about for a personal homebrew. I'd take this approach for just about any medium or small sized animal.

I'd impose a -10 No Thumbs penalty to any animals without thumbs trying to use a sword with its mouth, much better to use its bite (and trip) and allow its pack ability to apply with non-wolf allies.

Players wanting to be animals are interested in the challenge and possibilities of playing animals, not mimicking humanoids, I'd let the animals be awakened but otherwise accept the limitations and animal abilities

Weiley31

Legend
'd impose a -10 No Thumbs penalty to any animals without thumbs trying to use a sword with its mouth, much better to use its bite (and trip) and allow its pack ability to apply with non-wolf allies.
Ya but somebody FORGOT to tell Sif and Artorias bout that.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I played 20 levels of 4E as a gorilla. We just stated him as a human.

So how did you do the gorilla bits or was he just a hairy human?
Im genuinely interested in how you portray a gorilla rather than him just being faux Tarzan/planet of the Apes :)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Somewhere along the line during 3e a section for Anthropomorphic Animals was printed (probably in a DMG). I xeroxed it but forgot to write in the original book's title.

Look into Gamma World, which pretty much ignores such petty details as No Thumbs and figures you start with all human capabilities on Day One of play.

For 5e there are a bunch of animals already statted up. Use them (or re-fluff as needed: Hawk = falcon, peregrine, &c). You could probably compile a list of already-printed monster powers/abilities to help create any other animal you want to play. Although I haven't seen anything that says "use this for porcupine quills" yet...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases