Animals Primary Attack is ?

Rashak Mani

First Post
I had a Tiger animal companion and the DM said that his listed primary attacks are his claws so that in a full round attack he does 2 claws and 1 bite... in a standard action/partial action he would have 2 claw attacks !

Is this correct ?

Also if the tiger decides only to bite or only to use one paw should the damage be 150% of str ? (follows the single attack bonus for animals - crocs for example have 150% damage since they use only one attack type at a time)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Nope.

He would get one claw attack.

If the primary attack says "2 claws +x" (like the tiger) then on a partial action the beastie gets 1 of those claws.

If the primary attack reads "Claws +x" (like the crow) then the beastie gets to attack with his its "claws/, but it is still only one attack.

Make sense?

--Feline Spikey

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
It does... but then those claws are a single attack anyway.

I was wondering about the 150% thing... after all a Wildshped Druid could get a lot of extra damage from that...

Mahali

Explorer
The lion only gets one of its claw attacks.
The Raven may be a misleading example since it only gets one attack a round and it's with both tiny claws. A 1 legged Raven will do the same damage as a um... differently abled one.

nsruf

First Post
I haven't got my MM here, but IIRC a creature can use any one of its attacks at its full attack bonus as a standard action. The primary/secondary distinction and reduced attack bonuses apply only with a full attack.

Remove ads