Ankheg armor?

Wolf72

Explorer
kingamy said:
p.s. Unless you have non-core economics in your game, of course.

mmmm ... aybe ;)

yeah, sorry should have been more descriptive (but then that'd start pushing this towards house rules)

I kinda like the special materials in the DMG and think of hides that way, heavy mithral armor is +9k gp (and has several other benefits)

throw in some house rules and you get up there in price.

Code:
Alchemically Enhanced Armor:
Light 		+2000gp
Medium 		+4000gp
Heavy 		+7000gp

Extras:
1.   Resistance 2 (for multiple resistances)			750gp /ea
2.   Resistance 5 (if only one resistance)			1000gp
3.   Mobility (one category lighter for movement/spec abilities)2500gp
4.   Armor check Penalty (additional -1 ACP)			500gp
5.   Max Dex Bonus (additional +1)				1500gp
6.   AC Bonus (additional +1, may be taken multiple times)	2000gp /ea
7.   Lightness (armor weights half as much as standard armor)	1000gp
8.   DR 1/- (stacks w/ optional heavy armor DR)			1000g

there's more but that's the 2cp worth of it.

der_kluge

Adventurer
kingamy said:
I was looking up DRAGONhide armor in the DMG, and dragonhide halfplate is only 1500 gp.

I can't imagine ankheghide armor costing 5 times as much as dragonhide armor. :p

kingamy

p.s. Unless you have non-core economics in your game, of course.

You're basing this on the assumption that the economics on the DMG actually make sense. :)

The Arms and Equipment guide has some suggestions about armor and weaponry materials. Chitin from "massive insects" is priced ridiculously high at +10,000 and gives everything the same as normal armor (same armor bonus, same dex penalty etc), but is only 50% as heavy.

So other than the price (which is plain wrong) I would just make it like Dragonhide armor, about double the cost of any normal armor. And maybe give a bonus of 50% weight (which seems like a cool idea). Maybe bump up the DC for the armorsmith working on it by 2-5 or so.

I remeber in the original Dark Sun you had to rely on insect chitin armor and weapons a lot.

Richards

Legend
I seem to recall an article in Dragon several years back that had a suit of ankheg armor in it. The trouble was, I think once you put it on it bonded with your skin and you couldn't get it off or something like that. It was in an article with a couple of different "cool magic items that have some serious drawbacks" like that.

Johnathan

Remove ads