• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Announcement coming February 6th

Herosmith14

First Post
Hopefully some Celestials as well, as this edition has been hugely inadequate concerning them thus far...

Yep. I'm kinda bugged by the limits on options for Celestial warlock patrons with actual stats, and options for conjure celestial summons(even though that spell is really underpowered in my opinion).

Either way, a X's Guide to Planar Threats could be fun, low effort, and take a bit of load off of the presumed Mordenkainen's Manual of Planes end of year.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Well, I mean what I'm thinking of could have a name like Volo's to differentiate it, with Volo style chapters for Planar threats (Slaadi, Gith, Modrons, Devils, Demons, Yugoloth for starters), maybe with stat blocks for Devil Lord's and Demon Princes or high level Modrons. Easily enough material for 192 pages to mine there for monster fluff and Star blocks, before getting into Plane stuff particularly.
A Volo's style book with chapters on extraplanar begins would be neat. (But I think I’d prefer undead or dragons first. Although... you could argue those have been done.)

And you could easily round it out with a couple dozen pages of new monsters, like the bladeling, retierver, and astral dreadnought...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A Volo's style book with chapters on extraplanar begins would be neat. (But I think I’d prefer undead or dragons first. Although... you could argue those have been done.)

And you could easily round it out with a couple dozen pages of new monsters, like the bladeling, retierver, and astral dreadnought...
Volo's specifically calls out int the text Gith, Dragons, and Undead as subject matter they want to expand similarly. Dragons and Undead could be whole books themeslves, frankly.

Volo's specifically calls out int the text Gith, Dragons, and Undead as subject matter they want to expand similarly. Dragons and Undead could be whole books themeslves, frankly.
I recall that as well.
I imagine the Draconomicon(s) make that book less pressing. As does Open Grave/ Libis Mortis. Planar critters do seem the most untapped. Plus after Tyranny of Dragons, Storm King's Thunder, Curse of Strahd, and Tomb we've seen a lot of dragons and undead.

Fiends are mentioned as well in the Volo's introduction, so this sort of book could easily cover both them and gith.

And one reason for holding off on dragons would be to wait until the psionic rules for the edition are finalized so as to cover gem dragons. Granted, given that they want to keep each book usable without having to refer to others, they may need to have both psionic and non-psionic versions of gem dragons in that case...

Well, I mean what I'm thinking of could have a name like Volo's to differentiate it, with Volo style chapters for Planar threats (Slaadi, Gith, Modrons, Devils, Demons, Yugoloth for starters), maybe with stat blocks for Devil Lord's and Demon Princes or high level Modrons. Easily enough material for 192 pages to mine there for monster fluff and Star blocks, before getting into Plane stuff particularly.

Back well before Volo's, I created a list of 100 monsters that I wanted to see updated for 5e. Volo's did update a fair number of them, but there are still quite a few to bring into the new edition, including quite a few planar creatures. Going off my list, if they were to do a planar monster book in Volo's style, I would like to see something like this:

The types of creatures covered in depth: celestials (easier to cover them together so as to save room for others), demons, devils, gith, modrons, slaadi, yugoloths. Volo's had nine, but this will allow for more space for coverage of each type. Granted, celestials can be split out into the main three groups to get to nine. Elementals (including genies) could be added as well for some inner planes variety.

In the bestiary part, since most of the important demons and devils were covered in the MM, we would probably only need a few more of them to appear. However, there are lots of missing yugoloths, and the entirety of hierarch modrons need updating as well. Demodands/gehreleths, guardinals, archons, and eladrin need to be re-introduced and updated (although how they deal with the mess 4e made of the latter two remains to be seen). I would love to see different sized elementals, and I would very much hope to see xag-ya and xeg-yi. And if we're going astral with the githyanki, then we need to see the astral dreadnought...

Olive

Explorer
I would suggest that books on one type of monster (dragons, undead etc) are pretty unlikely in 5e - they jsut don't seem to fit with WotC's publishing philosophy. I imagine the thinking is that a smaller book with lots of monster types will appeal to a wide audience better han a massive book all about dragons. I bought Draconomicon but I can't pretend it was that useful...

Herosmith14

First Post
I would suggest that books on one type of monster (dragons, undead etc) are pretty unlikely in 5e - they jsut don't seem to fit with WotC's publishing philosophy. I imagine the thinking is that a smaller book with lots of monster types will appeal to a wide audience better han a massive book all about dragons. I bought Draconomicon but I can't pretend it was that useful...

I imagine that's true. I don't own draconomicon, but considering there isn't anything for it on DDB, it seems to be all fluff, which also might have contributed to lack of sales.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads