D&D 5E Announcement coming February 6th

Quickleaf

Legend
Somehow I missed the September Dragon Talk about Lantan; it was really interesting and Chris does mention it showing up in a future product. Some signs that might point toward Lantan featuring in one of the 3 products this year...

1. It's on the Chult map in Tomb of Annihilation without any explanation...like a teaser?

2. The Monster Menagerie 3 minis (releasing March 2018) includes a kraken case incentive. Would make sense if an island endangered by a kraken featured in a product this year. According to 4e's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, the waters around Lantan were said to be haunted by a monster destroying any ships that approached. Hmm.

3. There's been little hints of the modron march in past products (Dungeon Master's Guide, Out of the Abyss, possibly others). Interestingly, in that Dragon Talk video at 48:50 Greg Tito fields a question "Any modrons in Lantan?" Both Matthew Sernett and Chris Perkins say "no", but each has clearly thought about it! Matthew conjectures modrons manipulating a town like devils behind the scenes, while Chris imagines the modron march being a rare anticipated event in Lantan akin to an eclipse.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Somehow I missed the September Dragon Talk about Lantan; it was really interesting and Chris does mention it showing up in a future product. Some signs that might point toward Lantan featuring in one of the 3 products this year...

1. It's on the Chult map in Tomb of Annihilation without any explanation...like a teaser?

2. The Monster Menagerie 3 minis (releasing March 2018) includes a kraken case incentive. Would make sense if an island endangered by a kraken featured in a product this year. According to 4e's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, the waters around Lantan were said to be haunted by a monster destroying any ships that approached. Hmm.

3. There's been little hints of the modron march in past products (Dungeon Master's Guide, Out of the Abyss, possibly others). Interestingly, in that Dragon Talk video at 48:50 Greg Tito fields a question "Any modrons in Lantan?" Both Matthew Sernett and Chris Perkins say "no", but each has clearly thought about it! Matthew conjectures modrons manipulating a town like devils behind the scenes, while Chris imagines the modron march being a rare anticipated event in Lantan akin to an eclipse.
Maybe Lantan shifter to Mechanus during the Spellplague: it would fit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would suggest that books on one type of monster (dragons, undead etc) are pretty unlikely in 5e - they jsut don't seem to fit with WotC's publishing philosophy. I imagine the thinking is that a smaller book with lots of monster types will appeal to a wide audience better han a massive book all about dragons. I bought Draconomicon but I can't pretend it was that useful...
They do want to make books for as wide an audience as possible: for Dragons, the audience of players & DMs who want things Draconic is passing wide. I could see it, easily getting there in page count, and being a big seller.

Olive

Explorer
They do want to make books for as wide an audience as possible: for Dragons, the audience of players & DMs who want things Draconic is passing wide. I could see it, easily getting there in page count, and being a big seller.

I think people would say they want a dragon book but I am trying to imagine a crunchy book that appeals to players and DMs focused on dragons that would have a broad appeal and failing. What would a book like that look like?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think people would say they want a dragon book but I am trying to imagine a crunchy book that appeals to players and DMs focused on dragons that would have a broad appeal and failing. What would a book like that look like?

For the DM:
Dragon ecology and lair examples.
Roleplay advises for each dragon type.
Variant half-dragon template.
New Lair Actions and Legendary Actions for each dragon type.
Dragon-related foes.
Magic Items and artefacts, dragon scales items etc

For the players:
Archetypes (Dragon-pact warlock, dragon slayer fighter etc)
New spells
Variant features for existing class (new totem for Barbs, dragon form for shifter druid etc)
Backgrounds
Variant races (different Dragonborns, sub-classes for Kobolds etc)

Olive

Explorer
For the DM:
Dragon ecology and lair examples.
Roleplay advises for each dragon type.
Variant half-dragon template.
New Lair Actions and Legendary Actions for each dragon type.
Dragon-related foes.
Magic Items and artefacts, dragon scales items etc

For the players:
Archetypes (Dragon-pact warlock, dragon slayer fighter etc)
New spells
Variant features for existing class (new totem for Barbs, dragon form for shifter druid etc)
Backgrounds
Variant races (different Dragonborns, sub-classes for Kobolds etc)

Ok, that's more convincing than I thought it would be. I'm not totally convinced however - I'm just not sure people use dragons enough to justify a book like this, DMs at least. The PC ideas look cool though! Draconians, Dragon domain!

Remove ads