D&D 5E Another Generalist homebrew

I actually love the scholarly wizard flavor you gave it given that it is a generalist wizard. I kind of wish they had this archetype represented in the PHB and used that as the default for the basic rules.

That said, on a quick eyeball, it does seem more potent than any of the Traditions in the RAW game especially at higher levels. I am not sure if it works out that way in actual play. I would be a bit concerned in home games if everyone took this Tradition over the other available ones, but I think that Potent Caster has the potential to invade the Sorcerer's niche in a read way as well by providing the equivalent of Metamagic to some very high level spells. Maybe just make it a once a day feature instead?

Still, I am really enjoying it and look forward to seeing where you go with it!

asorel

First Post
I actually love the scholarly wizard flavor you gave it given that it is a generalist wizard. I kind of wish they had this archetype represented in the PHB and used that as the default for the basic rules.

That said, on a quick eyeball, it does seem more potent than any of the Traditions in the RAW game especially at higher levels. I am not sure if it works out that way in actual play. I would be a bit concerned in home games if everyone took this Tradition over the other available ones, but I think that Potent Caster has the potential to invade the Sorcerer's niche in a read way as well by providing the equivalent of Metamagic to some very high level spells. Maybe just make it a once a day feature instead?

Still, I am really enjoying it and look forward to seeing where you go with it!

The character on which I will be using this first is actually a Sorcerer with a 6 level Wizard dip (long story), but I see what you mean. What would you say to INT mod /day, but a level of exhaustion for anything more than 1 use? If you haven't noticed, I'm trying to give Intelligence a bigger role than just attacks/save DC.

I saw your reasoning in using Int there and I kind of wish they had run more of the subclass and subclass features with an ability score focus in the published game beyond what they did with the Cleric domains.

I think that exhaustion on uses beyond the first there is a nice middle ground between 1/long rest and Int/long rest. I like it as long as someone doesn't figure out a way that the feature itself is flat out broken. My main concern would be multiple castings of any spell that might gain gamestraining effects if cast three times a day at 9th level. I don't have my PHB on me, but I am sure the optimizers probably know which ones these are. They are probably the spells that were left off the Sorcerer's list for not playing nicely with metamagic rather than for flavor reasons.

Remove ads