• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

another rpg industry doomsday article (merged: all 3 "Mishler Rant" threads)

Absolutely - in all deference to Erik and Mike M., they have enormous advantages today that smaller publishers don't have. The one fallacy that does get me cranky, self-admittedly, is the "if it were good it would sell as well as D&D." There may be a lot of crap out there, but there's lots of good products that disappear in the back bins of LGSs.

The thing is, that the current situation has been the norm for pretty much every year of gaming except the one year OGL/3.0 boom. Good products have nothing to do with it. Finding other people to play with is king in the RPG world, and the big boys almost always win because of it. That one small taste of success has a lot of the indie crowd having unrealistic expectations and the mistaken conclusion that because they can't succeed like they could during the OGL boom that RPG gaming is dying.

Ya know, I teach communications and communication theory, and my analysis of message boards, blogs, and forums is really moving toward the idea that "viral" theory is mostly a negative phenomenon. The truth is, most of us don't "know" each other outside the very specific text as we type it, and this often acts as accelerence on negativity. The next thing you know, people are at the "let's take it outside!" moment, but on boards there's no "outside" to go to lol. Just the recent events have had two people I know and have always thought "damn these guys should meet and would get along great" throwing down on other blogs lol....

I've had the same flamewars in person at the local FLGS as I've had here. We do shake hands and grab a beer afterwards, but during the argument it gets just as bad as it does online.

seskis281

First Post
I've had the same flamewars in person at the local FLGS as I've had here. We do shake hands and grab a beer afterwards, but during the argument it gets just as bad as it does online.

Wow, I guess I'm just lucky - never had that happen face to face as of yet....

Then again I'll be at GenCon for the 1st time ever....

(Passes metaphorical beer across to everyone.....)

:lol:

I recently said in the other thread that I feel that people say that gaming is dying because smaller games aren't selling like they did during the OGL boom. They might be giving other justifications for it, but deep down thats what they're saying.

I just said it again.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Absolutely - in all deference to Erik and Mike M., they have enormous advantages today that smaller publishers don't have. The one fallacy that does get me cranky, self-admittedly, is the "if it were good it would sell as well as D&D." There may be a lot of crap out there, but there's lots of good products that disappear in the back bins of LGSs.

The main advantage Mike Mearls has (or, rather, the main advantage of his employer) is that he works with Dungeons & Dragons, a brand with 85% name recognition in the GENERAL PUBLIC, and a brand with a 35-year tradition of high quality and market leadership. His is also the best-capitalized company in the industry, with long-established market dominance in the hobby and mass market retail channels. Dungeons & Dragons has an existing network of players (i.e. customers) that is at least two, possibly three or four orders of magnitude larger than that of any other brand in the industry.

The main advantage Erik Mona has (or, rather, the main advantage of his employer) is that he works with an Open Game Licensed version of Dungeons & Dragons, which allows his company to tap into the largest player network in the industry. His company also has a robust online community (built-in self-selected audience of potential customers), a strong electronic publishing initiative, an innovative subscription-based revenue model, and competitive representation in the hobby and retail channels. It's also not a wholly owned subsidiary of a multinational corporation, which means it can get by happily on modest success thanks to lower overhead costs.

There is no existing fallacy among gaming professionals, from independent operators like James Mishler to brand managers and major corporations like Scott Rouse, that "if it were good it will sell as well as D&D." Anyone with an even basic understanding of the RPG industry knows that _no_ pen and paper RPG will sell as well as D&D. It would take a CATASTROPHIC failure of game design, distribution, and probably the economy overall for the D&D business to falter to the point at which another company can even contemplate selling in the sort of numbers that Wizards sells.

Most gaming stores, if they carry RPGs at all, carry only Dungeons & Dragons. No, I'm not talking about good stores, but ALL stores that carry RPGs, which vastly outnumber the good stores. When Paizo was publishing 3.5 products with production values and quality equal to or exceeding that of Wizards of the Coast, we continually ran into retailers who refused to carry our line (or the products of any other publisher), because it "wasn't D&D". This is even though we published 100% official D&D in the form of Dragon and Dungeon magazines for FIVE YEARS. Many of the same stores that ordered a few copies of Dragon a month didn't bother to check out our stuff, and still haven't.

That's after 7 years, about 20 ENnies, contributions from many of the biggest artists and writers in the industry, and an awesomely loyal fan base.

Companies that are basically one dude with some desktop publishing software working out of his basement, or who only do PDFs, or who can't get the interest and attention of honest-to-god hobby distributors like Alliance or ACD are completely screwed out of participation in the "industry," and frankly aren't really a part of it in the traditional sense.

This in some ways makes them immune from the challenges that come with major distribution of printed product, which has its advantages to be sure. That's why a lot of folks in this category have been able to find market niches for themselves like direct sales of PDFs, POD, patronage models, etc. You've got to have some sort of angle, because until you can prove to people like Diamond Book Distributors or PSI that you have an audience ready to buy your product in significant numbers, you're never ever going to see one of your products in a bookstore.

Even then, modest success is going to net you something like 3,000 sales, and a huge success would sell maybe 10,000 copies. I hear from a lot of PDF-only publishers that moving 1000 units is a huge, smashing success.

If Wizards of the Coast sells 10,000 copies of a book, they have probably lost money. If a product line routinely sells this number of products, that line will likely be canceled next time it's time for the managers to solicit new products.

A tremendous success in this industry for any company (including Paizo) would likely be viewed as a terrible, terrible failure at Wizards of the Coast.

Thus has it been for the publishers of D&D and the publishers of games that follow in its wake since, oh, about 1974.

And I don't expect it to change.

--Erik

Last edited:

Backed down on the ranting quite a bit. Almost detected some contrition and in the second part he backs down from the whining and kind of lets us in on the fact that he was venting about his own struggles from attempting to do what he loves.

My comment from the blog itself:

thecasualoblivion said...

On one hand, the RPG industry lasted from 1974 to 2000 without the OGL. It can do so again, and the loss of the OGL community is not the end of gaming.

That being said, for people who bought into the OGL dream, and people who wanted to publish within that landscape, its been a bit of a heartbreak, and I can understand being upset.

Just understand that the world(and the industry) doesn't necessarily revolve around you.

Enough crap has been thrown on the walls to this point, so I'll leave things at that.

Well at least he's stopped trying to coin awkward phrases about the "GREATER DEPRESSION" since he has been called on it.

That said, look at the definable shill he makes at the end of this 3rd (and final!) Rant:

the OP said:
For the next week, I'm putting Wilderlands of High Adventure: Imperial Town of Tell Qa on sale. Sorry to say that I am going back on my word from the Wondrous Wedding Sale, and offering this at a dirt cheap price: merely $1.80, rather than the usual $9.

Now allow me to quote from Ryan Dancey, who from the text at least implicitly has Mishler's respect by being someone outside the most virile scorn of "Try working in the industry for a little while, then maybe I'll give a damn about your opinion. Until then... you haven't earned the right to have an opinion."

RyanD said:
There's a rule in brand management that says that if you can't charge a premium for your brand, your brand isn't worth anything. In other words, the difference between "generic store cola" and "Coke" is the value of the Coke brand. If you are charging for your branded RPG products what the market is charging for generic D20/OGL products, your brand is worthless. In fact, most people are afraid to test this and find out how much their brand is actually worth, for fear that they'll be dissapointed.

When we priced the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting at $40, I received a call from a distributor who will remain unnamed. That distributor told me that because of the pricing decision, his buyers were told to cut their orders for the book in half. $40, you see, was simply too expensive for an RPG product. $30 was the correct price. If I would change the price to $30, he would restore his order to its full amount.

I explained to this person that the Forgotten Realms brand had equity which was in addition to the D&D equity. If the price for a Realms product was the same as the price for a D&D product, then I was saying that the Realms was a worthless brand. Since I knew that was not true, my pricing for that product had to reflect the equity. I would not be lowering the price of the book.

Of course after the fact, when the 100K units of the FRCS were sold, I was proven right and this distributor was proven wrong. But his attitude is pervasive in the industry and most people don't have the ability to tell the channel to go :):):):) themselves over pricing issues. Most companies need those pre-orders and they need distributor support to sell their products. If this was one guy at one company it would be a problem that could be worked around. But this attitude that prices are "too high" and RPG products are "too expensive" is just all-pervasive in the RPG segment of the industry. And so RPG publsihers voluntarily cripple themselves on price.

So it seems that, at least according to the logic put forth by Ryan Dancey, a person Mishler at least refuses to say has no right to an opinion, Mishler has placed his product (an adventure that in no way intrinsicly sells other adventure-based product other than on a brand-recognition basis) at what Ryan Dancey would say is "not worth anything".

Remove ads