• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

another WotC article: How to add (X) to Forgotten Realms

Nepenthe

First Post
Glyfair said:
I don't believe that's necessarily the case. I do think it's in reevaluation mode (what can we put out that will sell).

I think it's in the "novel authors have destroyed the world, so we have no idea what to do with it" mode. :\

SteveC said:
If I were a Realms fan, I suppose I might have a different opinion, but still, this is a fluff article on adapting the fluff from a class to a particular game world? Bleah! Expanding options for that class, or even something as simple as writeups of the class at various levels like the old "class acts" is something else.

The Realms adaptation articles have had some pretty interesting (generic) stuff as well - especially the Factotum article.

Glyfair

Explorer
Faraer said:
And Wizards realizes this, as Paizo belatedly came to. There are many who subscribed to Dragon, and will to the online service, primarily for setting-specific content.

The problem with focusing on setting specific content is that it's inherently limiting. Yes, articles are usually transferable, but there are a lot of people like SteveC who will not read an article on a specific setting rather than read it to find what applies to their campaign.

Of course, if you ignore a supported setting than there is a significant number of people who won't subscribe to your magazine (or whatever). I know I considered dropping my Paizo subscriptions when the Eberrron content dried up (there were other contributing factors that made me consider this, but they were tied into the lack of Eberron material).

Nepenthe said:
I think it's in the "novel authors have destroyed the world, so we have no idea what to do with it" mode. :\

I disagree. The simple evidence is that the novel schedule is filled. I think there are plenty of stories to tell. They've just exhausted the standard books to do over the years and the fans are rejecting the experiements.

Last edited:

Faraer

Explorer
There are people who temperamentally prefer setting information to be very light, as in many 'generic' articles; there are very involved named-setting-specific articles which are genuinely hard to transfer; there are people who are prejudiced against anything with setting logos (or particular setting logos) and avoid it irrationally. None of us really knows how many in each case.

And everything is limiting. Looking at the current D&D home page, lots won't be interested in behind-the-scenes information, miniatures puzzles, or rules clarifications for optional books. The true lowest common denominator is very small, and an information source that catered so narrowly wouldn't appeal broadly.

I did let my Dragon subscription lapse in 2005 for the lack of Realms articles. It wasn't the only reason, but it pushed the decision past the threshold.

They haven't come close to exhausting the standard sourcebooks about the Realms. But that's a whole 'nother matter.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Faraer said:
And everything is limiting. Looking at the current D&D home page, lots won't be interested in behind-the-scenes information, miniatures puzzles, or rules clarifications for optional books. The true lowest common denominator is very small, and an information source that catered so narrowly wouldn't appeal broadly.

However, a setting specific article has these limiting factors in addition to the setting limitation. They tend to add up.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do campaign specific articles, quite the opposite. However, you do have to look at both sides of the pictuire.

They haven't come close to exhausting the standard sourcebooks about the Realms. But that's a whole 'nother matter.

But have they exhausted the ones that will sell? Still, this is all speculation since I don't believe WotC has addressed their Realms output.

Faraer

Explorer
Glyfair said:
However, a setting specific article has these limiting factors in addition to the setting limitation. They tend to add up.
I think they often don't add up for the reason that 'generic' articles contain assumptions, sensibilities and details that can be equivalent to those of named settings. No named setting doesn't mean no setting. But they add up enough to mean less setting material overall, which is fine with me.
But have they exhausted the ones that will sell?
Again, not as far as anyone outside Wizards knows.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Driddle said:
Why are they still bothering to provide story and/or mechanics details so that players can add Supplement Flavor of the Month to the Forgotten Realms campaign?

Because the Realms still have fans? Not everyone cares about Eberron. I know I don't. I'm not throwing a fit whenever they do something Eberron-specific. I say let them have their stuff.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndlist&brand=fr&year=2007&tablesort=1
2007 Product Releases for Forgotten Realms

Anauroch: The Sundering of the World Adventure Forgotten Realms Greg A. Vaughan, Skip Williams, and Thomas M. Reid 11/2007

Annotated Elminster, The Novel Forgotten Realms Ed Greenwood 11/2007

Best of the Realms, Book III: Elaine Cunningham Anthology Forgotten Realms Elaine Cunningham 05/2007

Black Wolf Novel Forgotten Realms Dave Gross 08/2007

Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave Accessory Forgotten Realms Richard Baker, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan, Matthew Sernett, and James Wyatt 03/2007

Crypt of the Moaning Diamond Novel Forgotten Realms Rosemary Jones 11/2007

Crystal Shard, The (Paperback) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 01/2007

Depths of Madness Novel Forgotten Realms Erik Scott de Bie 03/2007

Expedition to Undermountain Adventure Forgotten Realms Eric L. Boyd, Ed Greenwood, Christopher Lindsay, and Sean K. Reynolds 06/2007

Gossamer Plain, The Novel Forgotten Realms Thomas M. Reid 05/2007

Grand History of the Realms Accessory Forgotten Realms Brian R. James 09/2007

Halfling's Gem, The (Paperback) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 08/2007

Halls of Stormweather, The Anthology Forgotten Realms Philip Athans, Ed. 02/2007

Heirs of Prophecy Novel Forgotten Realms Lisa Smedman 09/2007

Howling Delve, The Novel Forgotten Realms Jaleigh Johnson 07/2007

Hunter's Blades Trilogy, The (Gift Set) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 08/2007

Last Mythal, The (Gift Set) Novel Forgotten Realms Richard Baker 09/2007

Legend of Drizzt, The (Gift Set, Books I-III) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 09/2007

Legend of Drizzt, The (Gift Set, Books IV-VI) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 09/2007

Neversfall Novel Forgotten Realms Ed Gentry 11/2007

Orc King, The (Hardcover) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 09/2007

Passage to Dawn (Hardcover) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 03/2007

Road of the Patriarch Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 07/2007

Sacrifice of the Widow Novel Forgotten Realms Lisa Smedman 02/2007

Sands of the Soul Novel Forgotten Realms Voronica Whitney-Robinson 10/2007

Scream of Stone Novel Forgotten Realms Philip Athans 06/2007

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land Accessory Forgotten Realms Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid 07/2007

Shadow's Witness Novel Forgotten Realms Paul S. Kemp 04/2007

Shadowstorm Novel Forgotten Realms Paul S. Kemp 08/2007

Shattered Mask, The Novel Forgotten Realms Richard Lee Byers 07/2007

Silent Blade, The (Hardcover) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 06/2007

Spine of the World, The (Hardcover) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 11/2007

Stardeep Novel Forgotten Realms Bruce R. Cordell 10/2007

Storm of the Dead Novel Forgotten Realms Lisa Smedman 08/2007

Streams of Silver (Paperback) Novel Forgotten Realms R.A. Salvatore 05/2007

Swords of Dragonfire Novel Forgotten Realms Ed Greenwood 08/2007

Swords of Eveningstar (Paperback) Novel Forgotten Realms Ed Greenwood 06/2007

The Hunter's Blades Collector's Edition Novel Forgotten Realms R. A. Salvatore 01/2007

Unclean Novel Forgotten Realms Richard Lee Byers 04/2007

Granted, most of those are novels, but that hardly seems like a product line that's being "left to die." And not all of them are novels. Am I missing something? Was there some announcement that I didn't see or something?

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Wow...are the Realms really not selling well? Or is this another online rumor, like the inevitability of 4th edition coming next year (even though it didn't come this year, or last year, or the year before that)?

The Realms have been around as a setting for 20 years now. Seems a shame to cancel them. If I were to run a published campaign setting, the Forgotten Realms would be near the top of my list. My hope personally would be to see WotC gear things up for a revised campaign setting which could serve as a jumping on point to people who have missed the last few years of big events. It would also give them a chance to alter the tone of the setting slightly, so not every event is earth-shattering and world-changing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads