D&D 1E Any 1e (or 2e) iconic dungeons that never made it to the top 30 list in dungeon magazine?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
On the subject of Judges Guild, I'd recommend Tegel Manor, because the map is so wildly dense (but also because, especially for the time, there's an actual attention to setting a mood with the rooms, though it's still very much a funhouse dungeon). I occasionally joke about wanting to do a stream where I have a few beverages (a la Drunk History) and attempt to run the dungeon:

View attachment 149429

For historical purposes, the two Wee Warriors are worth picking up, especially since cheap reprints are easily available.
If you're ever on the hunt for players, I'd love to be in on it. :)

I'll keep that in mind if I ever work up the gumption to try it. Drunk History is hilarious, but I feel for those people the day after! I used to always have a few drinks when DMing in my 20s. Not so easy to do anymore. I think it would be hilarious attempting to navigate that map and run the game while schnookered, but I for my actual games, I keep a clear head these days.

If you're ever on the hunt for players, I'd love to be in on it. :)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I'll keep that in mind if I ever work up the gumption to try it. Drunk History is hilarious, but I feel for those people the day after! I used to always have a few drinks when DMing in my 20s. Not so easy to do anymore. I think it would be hilarious attempting to navigate that map and run the game while schnookered, but I for my actual games, I keep a clear head these days.
Yeah, can't blame you. I definitely spent some online games during the pandemic pretty hammered (actually falling asleep during one unusually boring session of Stonehell in which the party kept wandering empty sections and not finding anything good, while trying to find a particular monster lair :ROFLMAO: ) , but I've scaled that back.

When I'm just a player, I gladly enjoy a single cocktail. I don't need quite as many parts of my brain for that!

Yeah, can't blame you. I definitely spent some online games during the pandemic pretty hammered (actually falling asleep during one unusually boring session of Stonehell in which the party kept wandering empty sections and not finding anything good, while trying to find a particular monster lair :ROFLMAO: ) , but I've scaled that back.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Always had a soft spot for I2 - Tomb of the Lizard King.

1641507830269.png

rogueattorney

Adventurer
The biggest omission from that list is pretty easily Caverns of Thracia from Judges Guild. Already mentioned, I know, but figured I’d reiterate. Probably the greatest “big dungeon” ever published.

Other good ones that maybe shouldn’t be on the list, but should definitely be in the honorable mention range are:

Tegel Manor (Judges Guild)
B1 In Search of the Unknown
B5 Horror on the Hill
B10 Night’s Dark Terror
EX1-2 Dungeonland/Beyond the Magic Mirror
L1-2 Secret of Bone Hill/Assassin’s Knot
X4-5 Master of the Desert Nomads/Temple of Death

There have been several - way too many to even get into - adventures published in the post-OSRIC clone era of the last 15 years that I think belong in this conversation, but three I’ll mention are

AA1 Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom by Matt Finch
ASE 1&2 Anomalous Subsurface Environment by Patrick Wetmore
Castle Xyntillian by Gabor Lux

Greggy C

Hero
The biggest omission from that list is pretty easily Caverns of Thracia from Judges Guild. Already mentioned, I know, but figured I’d reiterate. Probably the greatest “big dungeon” ever published.
Alright, I got the last one that was under $100 :)

EX1-2 Dungeonland was new to me, looking into it thanks!

Remove ads